The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Collecting unemployment while officiating

Greetings to all! I am a new official and I have a question about collecting unemployment, which is also a new experience for me. I am a seasonal worker, so I will be drawing unemployment over the winter. I am also officiating volleyball here in Michigan. There will be a few weeks in January and February when I will be earning more money than my unemployment benefit, but to my understanding, I can still collect my full unemployment check even though I will be receiving money from officiating. Is this correct? I've heard a few reasons as to why I can still collect the full check:

1). The money earned from officiating is outsourcing for schools, and is not reported as wages earned... and they do not take out unemployment or taxes from the officiating check.

2). The money earned from officiating is not the same as wages earned from a traditional employer, so it does not fit into the same category as earnings from a "traditional" job.

If you can provide any answers, I will certainly appreciate it! The last thing I want to do is get in trouble with the government!
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 08:06am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Unemployment Compensation

For accurate information and answers, you really need to check with your state's department that handles unemployment compensation. Each state handles it differently and that is your only reliable source for information. In your case, you would contact the State of Michigan Department of Economic Labor & Growth/Unemployment Insurance Agency. You can obtain the information that you seek online at http://www.michigan.gov/uia or by calling 1-866-500-0017.

Schedule for filing by phone
...Based on last 2 digits
...of Social Security number
......................8:00 AM to................12:30 PM to.....
.......................12:30 PM...................4:30 PM.........
Mon...................00-15.........................16-33.........
Tues..................34-48.........................49-66.........
Wed...................67-81.........................82-99.........
Thur..................................Open........ ..................
Fri....................................Call-In...........................
.............. All times shown are Eastern time................

Make sure that you get the correct answers to your questions BEFORE you work any volleyball matches so that you know what you are and are not allowed to do regarding claiming or not claiming the income from officiating.

Good Luck!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for the advice McBear!