The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 05:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

I'd like to see the website for JR, his association being located where he lives.
Not good for your Christian eyes.

Not good at all........
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

There is a certain association's website that has been talked about recently for posting the NFHS rules on their website. (I believe this is the same association, please correct me if I'm wrong.) They have a list of all their officials along with their Home address, Home phone, Work phone, Cell phone, and their email address. Me thinks that this is not a good idea! I don't like to have my information posted anywhere on the internet ESPECIALLY in relation to officiating.

And in case an angry fan, parent or coach didn't know the officials name to look up their information, that's okay they have a page that shows everyone's name and picture.

I'm going to email the webmaster and suggest to them that they might want to password protect these pages. I think it's great for them to have this available to their members (especially the pictures) but it shouldn't be available to the general public. Maybe there site has a fan blocker (similar to a popup blocker). It knew that I am a basketball official which is why it allowed me to look at the information.

Does anyone else's association website have this information available to the general public?

Last edited by All_Heart; Mon Jun 30, 2008 at 02:35pm.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:56pm
Lighten up, Francis.

All Heart, I would humbly suggest that you edit your post to remove the links. No sense in publicizing the private info on those sites. I agree that you should contact them with a suggestion to password protect the sites; but if it were me, I'd remove the links.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
All Heart, I would humbly suggest that you edit your post to remove the links. No sense in publicizing the private info on those sites. I agree that you should contact them with a suggestion to password protect the sites; but if it were me, I'd remove the links.
I had originally thought to not post the links but then I figured hey they are the ones that decided to release it to the public. I figured that it would be safe on an officiating forum (or at least MUCH safer then posting it for example on a local high school basketball forum, ex: Scout ). I was hoping that it would open the eyes of someone that is a member of another association that posts the same information.

But you are right and it's better to be safe then sorry, so I removed those links.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:13pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
We have a member page that allows access to contact info for other members in our group. Be aware, though, that sometimes there are cached pages that allow backdoor links into member-only areas. Haven't checked it with our site, but I have seen it with others.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
Does anyone else's association website have this information available to the general public?
No. And I agree that it should be private.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
We have a member page that allows access to contact info for other members in our group. Be aware, though, that sometimes there are cached pages that allow backdoor links into member-only areas. Haven't checked it with our site, but I have seen it with others.
The cache will usually have the contents of the pages that were viewed on that machine....they'll only be accessible by someone logged in as that user or someone with administrative rights on that machine. There are ways to prevent the caching but that is only really necessary for certain types of pages (those with SSN's, DOB's, etc.) and usually those pages are only accessible by specific people, not the members in general.

Also, any well designed site will not have "links" that get someone into member-only areas. When someone clicks on a link into a member-only area, the site should be checking the validity of the session and rejecting the attempt if it is not by a currently logged in member.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Unfortunately, neither of the two boards to which I belong (Antarctica or Oz) have websites. However, some of our Antarctican members have web feet. I really like refereeing in Oz. It's a real blast watching a munchkin try to dunk.
Is it true that after the game you don't run off the floor, but you tap your heels? If so, how do you ever have a decent postgame?