The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 05:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
First!
Uhm....this needs some work. It needs to be the first post of a thread.

Props to Juggles for using pwn. Now all you need is a thread comprised soley of AOL speak and this thread will be cemented in the annals of Hades.

Hey, Jurassic, how do I become an esteemed (or is it steamed? I never got that clarified) member of the peanut gallery? Do I need to purchase a silt and mud stamp?

Last edited by Welpe; Wed Jun 25, 2008 at 05:15pm.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
CaRef5,

I'm young like yourself. I'm 22 and officiate all levels except NAIA and D3. the guys make a good point about ppl making up whatever they want to and so some ppl might lie to u about what they ref. but just take it for what it is, the internet, and for the most part you can take ppl on here at their word if they ever decide to take your thread seriously and post their exp. which I doubt will happen. Good luck to you in your officiating endeavors.
So, you're saying you ref at the D2 and D1 level? Just clarifying.

BTW, I'm 65 (as of this past May), I officiated for 22 years (basket ball) and 27 years (soccer), and my highest level in both sports was HS varsity. I say "was" as I no longer officiate. It came down to a choice of replacing both knees, or continue officiating. I chose to keep my current knees, even though going up a long flight of stairs causes me to periodically learn new "forms of expression", as in &%^*!!! that hurts!
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 08:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
His D1 supervisor also runs a D2 conference.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 09:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Great thread. Thought there was the danger of it turning into OOOA or something like that.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Never claimed that it was 50/50. The newer guys do work more D-League games, but with only 60 referees they still get a decent number of NBA assignments.

Since you know how the NBA system works, check where one of the four group supervisors for the referees lives.

sorry once again it's semantics, but I meant the new guys get 80% nba games and 20% D-League games. Once they get hired they always work way more nba games than D-League games. What does where one of the supervisors live have to do with anything?
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
sorry once again it's semantics, but I meant the new guys get 80% nba games and 20% D-League games. Once they get hired they always work way more nba games than D-League games.
Yep, that is right again, but I now see how my post was a bit unclear. I was saying that a guy in his 3rd year with the NBA will work more games at that level than someone in his 1st year. Of course, both will still work games in the D-League.

Quote:
What does where one of the supervisors live have to do with anything?
Think about it for a bit.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Jul 10, 2008 at 02:36am.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 06:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
His name shows up on this website:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/browse
Before they started to update it, it showed him doing about 4 games in a very small D1 conference. I forgot which one but it doesn't matter.

Interestingly enough, his name doesn't show up on this site though:
http://www.bbstate.com/officials/
That is possibly just an oversight.

Note also that the immortal Bhuck Elics shows up on both sites.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury
Yet another post that has disintigrated far from the sincere intent of the poster.

I feel for ya, CaRef5.

I do not understand how some of these seasoned forum-dwellers… and by proxy seasoned referees… could utilize such habitual sarcastic and cynical tones.

Why the same 'ol peanut gallery rhetoric?
There, I said it: "peanut gallery".
And that term is not meant to offend anyone directly, just to call it what it is...

Sheesh...

My take - I get what he was trying to do - intro himself, maybe get a feel for who is all on here. The reality - there are many on here that wont say. If you are working D1 or NBA - chances are you aren't posting here. The stakes are higher than ever and getting hired includes most likely your googleability.

An additional point is why not ask for weight and what high school we graduated from? This isnt a social board, its a rules and mechanics board. We talk basketball....1 annual baseball thread....and sometimes squirrels.

I agree with the former poster that said it doesn't matter how old you are and it's kind of taboo to bring it up. Im sure officials lead men's demographics in men's hair dye purchases if you know what I mean.

So age wont be discussed

Level - A - doesn't matter / can get someone in trouble and B - wont be discussed because in general, most of the good ones dont go throwing around what they are working. It comes off arrogant. Dont get me wrong, I was talking with a big hitter here in Cincy today and he LOVES to talk about his schedule so there are some out there that will.

Thus we have a thread that has disintegrated into pwnage and FIRST.

Having said all that.....

SECOND!!

Last edited by Larks; Thu Jun 26, 2008 at 06:40am.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
His name shows up on this website:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/browse
Before they started to update it, it showed him doing about 4 games in a very small D1 conference. I forgot which one but it doesn't matter.

Interestingly enough, his name doesn't show up on this site though:
http://www.bbstate.com/officials/
That is possibly just an oversight.

Note also that the immortal Bhuck Elics shows up on both sites.
Thanks, Jurrasic. I was just curious because of the way in which he posted. BTW, those are 2 interesting links. I found a couple of guys listed that I did some HS ball with and 1 individual shows up on one site with "1" game, and "115" games on the other site.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
My take - I get what he was trying to do - intro himself, maybe get a feel for who is all on here. The reality - there are many on here that wont say. If you are working D1 or NBA - chances are you aren't posting here. The stakes are higher than ever and getting hired includes most likely your googleability.

An additional point is why not ask for weight and what high school we graduated from? This isnt a social board, its a rules and mechanics board. We talk basketball....1 annual baseball thread....and sometimes squirrels.

I agree with the former poster that said it doesn't matter how old you are and it's kind of taboo to bring it up. Im sure officials lead men's demographics in men's hair dye purchases if you know what I mean.

So age wont be discussed

Level - A - doesn't matter / can get someone in trouble and B - wont be discussed because in general, most of the good ones dont go throwing around what they are working. It comes off arrogant. Dont get me wrong, I was talking with a big hitter here in Cincy today and he LOVES to talk about his schedule so there are some out there that will.

Thus we have a thread that has disintegrated into pwnage and FIRST.

Having said all that.....

SECOND!!

Good way to put it... just wanted to get a bit of demographic out of this thread
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 08:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Maybe we can make it simpler.

What is your name? What is your quest? What is your favorite color?
1. Skippy Weaselpants
2. Get Earl Strom deified
3. Off-color