The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 02:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

ACC Black Strip??

I am watching the FSU-Miami game in the College World Series. And I see a little black strip on FSU's hat (left side) and on helmets. Then I look at the Miami uniforms and they have a black strip on their back near the neck. Now it is clear to me that there was some kind of logo that was covered up by this little black fabric. Now I noticed the very same thing when I watched college basketball and I would see Duke, North Carolina and just about every other ACC team playing. I do not recall seeing this in any other conference or any other uniform. In basketball there was a black stripe usually on the top part of the uniform on the front left shoulder. I meant to ask this question back in February or March, but just never got around to it. Does anyone know the story behind this uniform issue?

Peace
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I believe it is a "memorial" (for lack of a better words) to the victims of the shooting in the other ACC school (West Virginia or Virginia Tech? can't ever remember which). It was approved by whoever it needed to be approved by be it the NCAA or the ACC. I'm not sure if they did it in football, but I know all ACC teams had it in bball conference wide. Haven't noticed it on a baseball team yet, but I don't watch a lot of college baseball.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

From http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...03&type=story:

"To see how ubiquitous and varied grieving via uniforms has become, look at the response to the April 2007 shootings at Virginia Tech. In the days immediately following the tragedy, Allen Iverson wore a sleeve patch; several MLB teams wore the VT logo on their caps or sleeves; some MLBers even wore VT caps (including Joe Saunders, baseball's only VT grad); several college football teams wore VT helmet logos for their spring scrimmages; and literally dozens of golfers, NASCAR drivers, and other athletes wore VT logos. When the fall sports season began, the Hokies themselves wore a black patch with an orange ribbon, and all other ACC football and basketball teams added small black memorial strips, although there was no uniformity regarding their placement: For football, they appeared primarily on the chest or shoulder; for basketball, here, there, and everywhere. It's like the entire sports world went into "Ich bin ein Hokie" mode."
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 03:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

The patch did not look like a memorial patch, unless somehow the patch was covering up the ACC logo. That could have been the case, but most memorial patches about the VT tragedy had some mention or logo of VT on it. Now you are probably right, but I was looking for more of an official reason that anyone could point to.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

The ones on the bball and football uni's were just a strip of black. Maybe 1/2" x 2"? Pretty simple. The fact that you're noticing the black on only Miami and FSU's uni's have me pretty convinced that this is exactly what you're looking at.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The patch did not look like a memorial patch, unless somehow the patch was covering up the ACC logo. That could have been the case, but most memorial patches about the VT tragedy had some mention or logo of VT on it. Now you are probably right, but I was looking for more of an official reason that anyone could point to.

Peace

As a Carolina & ACC fan, I can assure you that these black patches are memorial patches for the victims of the shootings at VT.

"ESPN Game Day will be live at Blacksburg on Sept. 1, when Virginia Tech hosts East Carolina on opening weekend. In a season-long tribute to the Virginia Tech victims this spring, all of the conference athletic teams will wear a black stripe on their uniforms."

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/661162.html
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 10:33am
Do not give a damn!!

If I recall, NC had these stripes on their uniforms before that tragedy with the Student Body President. This was something I was seeing long before that incident from all ACC teams. I saw a completely different patch for the girl that was shot on campus.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If I recall, NC had these stripes on their uniforms before that tragedy with the Student Body President. This was something I was seeing long before that incident from all ACC teams. I saw a completely different patch for the girl that was shot on campus.

Peace
Yes. There were TWO different patches. Carolina wore their black patch in memory of the VT victims, on their back, above their name, at the start of the season, long before Eve was shot.

They wore their EVE memorial patches on the front of their uniforms, towards the end of the season, while they still had the black patch on the back for VT.

Here is a link to pics from the dook game, right after the shooting of Eve. You can clearly see pics showing them wearing two different patches.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/735927.html