The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Help me ...I'm wrestling with myself...

The summer ball topic got me thinking a bit more....

I've posted on here for awhile...will be starting my 8th year of calling games in the fall. I've been open about the levels I work which is mainly Jr High, Freshman and AAU stuff. I was once state licensed but did not do any HS games. I've worked some JV and Varsity level games during summer but not really had the desire to work regular season HS for whatever reasons(read on). I coach my young kids and I'm very active in our community rec leagues both as a board member and ref and I really love the game and care about it regardless of which hat I'm wearing....

Officiating....I take whatever games I'm doing seriously regardless of level and I work hard to be in position and am always willing to listen to a more experienced official....After 7+ years and lots of summer ball the past two years...That's usually a guy who works HS ball.

I get complimented on my officiating from these guys but I am really struggling with the upper level games I'm officiating in summer particularly 16U and 17U level and to an extent some of the 15U teams but more so the JV/V level. I've been both praised by coaches and railed on (I take it all with a grain of salt)

I have talked with several guys and I have told them I really think I let a lot of contact go....I think I'm a pretty loose.... My Ps tell me I'm fine but sometimes I just question myself...there will be contact but I'm just not convinced it affected the shooter and I let it go. Of course this is sometimes to my detriment...I try to look at it from the standpoint of "if I were playing, would I expect that called for me".

One of my assignors at our multi court facility (lots of AAU tourneys and summer HS league stuff) he will assign me anytime I want and we have a good relationship...I talked with him about it and he told me with the upper level to protect my shooters but with the bigger kids they'll play through more of the contact that might create adv/disadv on say a 7th grader who is smaller.

Outside of asking my assignor to evaluate me on a couple games...what can I do to overcome this mental block? I feel I am at a point where I might be close to overcoming any fears I have of doing regular season games at the HS level...but this is my one hangups.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 11:53am
Do not give a damn!!

I wanted to beat Mark to the punch.

I do not work wrestling, so I have no idea what the ruling would be on such a move.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Not really clear what the question is but it sounds like you're lacking confidence in your calls. I suppose letting a lot of stuff go is OK, as long as you are consistent from call to call and more importantly with what your partner is calling. Usually I have found at the HS level coaches are more tolerant of too many fouls than they are of not enough fouls assuming it's going both ways and especially if the game is getting rough. So maybe the thing to work on is to try to be a little less loose in what contact you will let go & mimic what your partner is calling (assuming it's worth mimicing of course), especially on shooting fouls. May also be worth having a decent pregame (I know, tough to do in summer ball) to go over what the crew will allow and not allow. This gets you both on the same page right off the bat & if you're calling the same game it's easier to be confident in your own calls. I'm not sure if that will help.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:11pm
Esteemed Participant

Video, video, video...get someone (wife, child, friend, etc) to come and video the games you are working and then watch yourself - break down the tape. What calls did you make, what did you miss? Were you consistent or not...evaluating yourself at this point in your career will be much more valuable than asking the assignor at an AAU tournament.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:13pm
Ch1town

Who's winning?

Seriously, if your partners say you're fine then you're most likely, fine. I don't think all of them would tell you the same lies.

I don't know if you utilize the single most effective way to better yourself... VIDEO REVIEW. But that would be a great way to go back & see if your no-calls were indeed good ones to pass on OR if you were in the wrong position & it was something you should've gotten.

Considering your years of experience (even though it's mostly summer & youth) it seems as though you should have more confidence in yourself

Dangit rockyroad got me by 2 minutes

Last edited by Ch1town; Thu Jun 12, 2008 at 12:17pm.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Dangit rockyroad got me by 2 minutes
Not your fault, it's because he's unemployed.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:40pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Not until next Tuesday...then I get my 10 week vacation!!
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Not until next Tuesday...then I get my 10 week vacation!!
I hope you get a bad case of poison ivy... and a sunburn
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:47pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Hmmm if that's the case, I must be that close to unemployment myself
Let me get back to work!
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
He's not tall enough to touch the poison ivy
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:50pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Sunburn??? Haven't been to Washington State lately, have you??!!
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sunburn??? Haven't been to Washington State lately, have you??!!

Good point.

I hope you get poision ivy (from low hanging poison ivy of course), a mold infection under your fingernails and I hope your umbrella breaks.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 01:04pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
He's not tall enough to touch the poison ivy
Too many comments from the peanut gallery again!! Sheesh, you guys.

Getting back on topic - the best answer is video, video, video.

Word.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 01:10pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Getting back on topic - the best answer is video, video, video.

Word.
And for best results, review within 48hrs of working the game & be very critical of yourself.

NOTE: Video breakdown is NOT intended for "call validation" you're suppose to get the call right, focus on the ones you didn't get... if you want to get better that is.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, the best way to prepare you is to actually work the higher level games. I think all of us have the borderline plays that we either think should have been or shouldn't have been a foul. My questions would be did the call/no call improve the game? Ask more experienced partners what they thought about any questionable plays or look at improving your position if the call/no call is the result of a poor angle.

I woudn't continue to hesitate seeking higher level games. I think you would enjoy the challenge. Monty McCutcheon says "We are expected to be excellent, not perfect."