The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Smile

Matt, contact your local YMCA or youth league director. I'm sure that they would help you get started with kids who are far enough under you age that they will still respect you and your whistle. By the time you get old enough to ref HS games, you will be polished and ready to do Varsity. One of the E-Referee staff guys that writes a lot of the HTML for this web site started like you. He is now about 20 and does some of the biggest games in the San Antonio Chapter. He will be a big time college official in just a couple of years. You need to find someone who is willing and capable of being a mentor to you and you need to call with the same 2-3 guys a lot at first. Do not get started with another young (under 18) official or someone who does not know proper mechanics and rules. If you are going to learn, it is much easier to learn the right way than to break bad habits later.

Ok, I have a question for you. A1 begins a drive toward the basket and defender B1 is guarding. Airborne A1 releases a try and before coming to the ground, collides with B1. One official signals A for a charge and one official signals B for blocking. The shot went in. Using NF rules and interpretations, what happens next?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Matthew
First, thanks for your positive attitude

quote:
Ok, I have a question for you. A1 begins a drive toward the basket and
defender B1 is guarding. Airborne A1 releases a try and before coming to the ground, collides with B1. One official signals A for a charge and one official signals B for blocking. The shot went in. Using NF rules and interpretations, what happens next?

First, I would talk with my partner about it. If we still agree on what we called, it would be considered a double foul and the team with the possesion arrow pointing their way would get the ball.

On the other hand, if the foul was finally called charging, the basket WOULD NOT count, and team B would get the ball.

BUT, if it was finally called as blocking, the basket would count, the foul would be called on B1, and one foul shot would be taken.

Is this correct? If not, please let me know and I will correct it. ;l;l;l

[This message has been edited by Matthew (edited February 13, 2000).]
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Matthew, It's nice to see you are interested in learning. By rule you report both fouls and go to arrow. This is not a play you want to talk too long. best to report and get the game going as quick as possable. Go ahead and register with the state H.S. activities association. They will send you the books and dates and times of meetings. good luck. NOW heres ? On the opening tip of the game Jumper A1 Hits the ball with his fist. What next?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for that correction

Wouldn't you re-jump?

------------------
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

BTW, how would I do that in Western NC?

------------------
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Matt, You nailed it so far--very impressive. Now, supposing you went with the double foul, does the bucket count or do you waive it off?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Matt,
Here is the address and phone #'s for the NCHSAA. Good Luck!

North Carolina High School Association
P. O. Box 3216
Chapel Hill, NC 27515
(919) 962-2345
(919) 962-1686 (fax)

Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

First of all, I am a 12-year-old male. I am interested in officiating little kids basketball (2nd grade - 8th grade). Do you know what age you have to be in order to do that, or do you just have to pass the examination?

Ask me some questions about officiating. I think I could answer most of them...

------------------
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Hey Matt. You did good until you made the comment about Referee's being fair. I'm sorry you feel that way. I think after you referee for awhile, you will see things differently. Good Luck.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Cool

What is the Towert Principle? Why do you want to be a referee?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 02:47am
PDLeBoutillier

Question

I don't think anyone answered Matthew's original question about how old you need to be to become certified. My 14 year-old son has asked the same question and I wasn't able to answer it.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Again, thanks for the positive attitude, and the address, Mr. BK!!!

quote:
Now, supposing you went with
the double foul, does the bucket count or do you waive it off?

DOES NOT count, just go with who has possesion of the ball.

Am I right?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

hey_zebra, I would like to become a referee because I like basketball, and I would be fair, unlike a lot of referees we've had in the past ;a

Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Matt. Hitting the ball with fist is a violation on A1. Team B gets ball at half court and Team A get arrow.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, thanks for the tip. I'll try and keep it in mind

Are there any other questions concerning violations and fouls that you would like to 'quiz' me on?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 07:59pm
PDLeBoutillier

Red face

quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson on 02-14-2000 09:03 AM
Matt. Hitting the ball with fist is a violation on A1. Team B gets ball at half court and Team A get arrow.

According to the rule book the ball is given for a throw-in closest to the violation, NOT at half-court.

SECTION 4 TRAVEL, KICK, FIST
A player shall not run (travel) with the ball, intentionally kick it, strike it with the fist or cause it to enter and pass through the basket from below.

PENALTY: (Sections 3 through 10) The ball becomes dead or remains dead when the violation occurs. The ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.