The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
1. The talk from Don Rutledge about "packing the chute" in relation to officiating. In turn, I took back what I learned at the camp to my local association.
Maybe it's because I'm just starting and don't know yet, but I was wondering what was meant by "packing the chute."
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug
Maybe it's because I'm just starting and don't know yet, but I was wondering what was meant by "packing the chute."
Hey, I'm going on 7 years and I've never heard the phrase before. Must be a regional thing.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:31am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Means something different out West here than it does in, oh, say, Hackensac!
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 11:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Means something different out West here than it does in, oh, say, Hackensac!
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm going to guess that the chute reference relates to skydiving. I have to believe that the metaphor would be about preparation. Something akin to if you don't take the time to properly prepare and pack your chute right before you jump, then you'd better be ready for a big fall when it doesn't open.

The basketball equivalent of study the rules, work on your fitness, have a proper pregame and put yourself in a position to succeed when you take the court rather than having some situation come up that you aren't prepared to handle and you crash down hard.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
You laugh, but icallfouls and I actually sat through a 70 min. lecture on how the Yellow Brick Road is a metaphor for our officiating careers...it was the most surreal 70 min. of my life.
I am still trying in therapy for that one. I always thought I should evaluate each play as they happen and then make a decision. I found myself calling 3 seconds in the yelow brick road....breathe, breathe... there's no place like.... i mean where's my happy place?
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Some very excellent topics to be sure. I was intentionally vague so as not to have people eliminate any thing that interested them from this conversation. We are nearly done with our selection of topics. If anyone wants to know what we have let me know and I can list them.

Keep 'em coming
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
Some very excellent topics to be sure. I was intentionally vague so as not to have people eliminate any thing that interested them from this conversation. We are nearly done with our selection of topics. If anyone wants to know what we have let me know and I can list them.

Keep 'em coming
Sure, what have you got so far?
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Hands down best topic IMO, that is great for beginners or vets, (so it covers wide variety of experience you may have at a camp) is conflict resolution. My 2 cents.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

One of my most memorable experiences at camp was watching an NBA official break down game film. It was an eye-opening experience and has totally changed my approach to watching tape.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You left out a munchkin.
No, he left out "Da Noive".

And don't argue with a Kansan about the Wizard of Oz.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Packing the Chute

Here's the link to the website:
http://www.charlieplumb.com/book-insights.htm

Here is the story:

INSIGHTS INTO EXCELLENCE
Packing Parachutes - Excerpt from Chapter 16
By Charlie Plumb

Recently, I was sitting in a restaurant in Kansas City. A man about two tables away kept looking at me. I didn't recognize him. A few minutes into our meal he stood up and walked over to my table, looked down at me, pointed his finger in my face and said, "You're Captain Plumb."

I looked up and I said, "Yes sir, I'm Captain Plumb."

He said, "You flew jet fighters in Vietnam. You were on the aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk. You were shot down. You parachuted into enemy hands and spent six years as a prisoner of war."

I said, "How in the world did you know all that?"

He replied, "Because, I packed your parachute."

I was speechless. I staggered to my feet and held out a very grateful hand of thanks. This guy came up with just the proper words. He grabbed my hand, he pumped my arm and said, "I guess it worked."

"Yes sir, indeed it did", I said, "and I must tell you I've said a lot of prayers of thanks for your nimble fingers, but I never thought I'd have the opportunity to express my gratitude in person."

He said, "Were all the panels there?"

"Well sir, I must shoot straight with you," I said, "of the eighteen panels that were supposed to be in that parachute, I had fifteen good ones. Three were torn, but it wasn't your fault, it was mine. I jumped out of that jet fighter at a high rate of speed, close to the ground. That's what tore the panels in the chute. It wasn't the way you packed it."

"Let me ask you a question," I said, "do you keep track of all the parachutes you pack?"

"No" he responded, "it's enough gratification for me just to know that I've served."

I didn't get much sleep that night. I kept thinking about that man. I kept wondering what he might have looked like in a Navy uniform - a Dixie cup hat, a bib in the back and bell bottom trousers. I wondered how many times I might have passed him on board the Kitty Hawk. I wondered how many times I might have seen him and not even said "good morning", "how are you", or anything because, you see, I was a fighter pilot and he was just a sailor. How many hours did he spend on that long wooden table in the bowels of that ship weaving the shrouds and folding the silks of those chutes? I could have cared less...until one day my parachute came along and he packed it for me.

So the philosophical question here is this: How's your parachute packing coming along? Who looks to you for strength in times of need? And perhaps, more importantly, who are the special people in your life who provide you the encouragement you need when the chips are down? Perhaps it's time right now to give those people a call and thank them for packing your chute."

Don told us this story to have us think about all the people that have packed our chute in basketball - to remember to thank them and to do the same for the up and coming younger officials. Its a great lesson - the challenge is packing the chute of the next official who may just take your place because they are better...

Kim
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be interested to see your list...