The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 05:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Sorry about the $10.00 word. I'm sure that someone can replace it with a $2.00 word.
How about "composure?" $5.00
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Seven C’s of Good Officiating: Communication, Comportment, Consistency, Courage, Common Sense, and Calming Influence.
thats only 6.

icallfouls -- I think you should help people remember all the details of correctable errors. remembering it all is so difficult. and especially whats NOT a correctable error.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 06:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
The Seven C’s of Good Officiating: Communication, Comportment, Consistency, Courage, Common Sense, and Calming Influence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikBoom
thats only 6.
Number 7 is "Coach - you're outta here!"
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Forget correctable errors. In my mind, that'd be a waste of time to spend more than 5-10 minutes on. Sure, they're important. Sure, we need to know how to handle them. But, they're a topic will likely only be truely learned from careful study of the book, followed by messing one up, then more study of the book. Knowing them in detail is highly unlikely to ever really matter relative to other things that could be discussed.

I think the best topics for a "newer" crowd of officials have nothing to do with the mechanics or rules. It would be a discussion of having realistic expectations, attributes that differentiate different levels of officials(game/coach/conflict managment, poise, clamness, common sense, and uderstanding the game above the rules), and what is required to maximize thier abilities....realizing that making it to the top is not just about blowing the whistle (most officials can do that).
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Camron Rust]
I think the best topics for a "newer" crowd of officials/QUOTE]

icallfouls didnt say what level. i think a good system for remembering the correctable errors could be taught in 10 or 15 minutes. it would be a big help to me, i think. i'd got o camp just for that one thing.

also, i don't thinki you needed to "rank" my idea. icallfouls didnt ask for us to dedice which ideas would be best. just to make suggestions. i want to learn correctable errors, okay?
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

The best lecture or presentation I ever saw was from John Adams, who was at the time the Horizon League Supervisor.

John talked about the business of officiating and showed how hard it was to get to the D1 Level. He also included the money of how schools made money and how that related to what officials were paid. I have seen him give this presentation 3 times and I am always fascinated by the presentation because it puts things in perspective as to how hard it is to get to that level.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The best lecture or presentation I ever saw was from John Adams, who was at the time the Horizon League Supervisor.

John talked about the business of officiating and showed how hard it was to get to the D1 Level. He also included the money of how schools made money and how that related to what officials were paid. I have seen him give this presentation 3 times and I am always fascinated by the presentation because it puts things in perspective as to how hard it is to get to that level.

Peace
Well, I will never get to D1, and I dont want to spend any time on that. I suppose it depends on whose goin to the camp.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 11:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well, I will never get to D1, and I dont want to spend any time on that. I suppose it depends on whose goin to the camp.
He was speaking to people trying to get in his (D1, D2 and D3) conferences. He was not speaking to the average or newer officials that were just trying to figure out how to officiate. It was the best lecture that

Peace
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Still, the same issues on a smaller scale face officials working their way to Varsity.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I think the best topics for a "newer" crowd of officials
icallfouls didnt say what level. i think a good system for remembering the correctable errors could be taught in 10 or 15 minutes. it would be a big help to me, i think. i'd got o camp just for that one thing.

also, i don't thinki you needed to "rank" my idea. icallfouls didnt ask for us to dedice which ideas would be best. just to make suggestions. i want to learn correctable errors, okay?
I've maybe had 4-6 correctable error situations in my career of who knows how many games. Even if I got every one of them wrong, it wouldn't have dramatically impacted my career. (I've got two wrong that I know of).

However, there are far more times I could have better handled players/coaches, far more times I could have had a better position, far more times I could have held my whistle and passed on a call, far more times I could do things better that happen every single game.

Sure CE's a interesting academic topic, and I very much enjoy such topics. However, paying campers deserved to get a topic that will help them frequently rather than rarely.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 02:13am.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 11:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Personally, I think handling coaches should be a topic for all newcomers.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 06:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Forget correctable errors. In my mind, that'd be a waste of time to spend more than 5-10 minutes on. Sure, they're important. Sure, we need to know how to handle them. But, they're a topic will likely only be truly learned from careful study of the book, followed by messing one up, then more study of the book. Knowing them in detail is highly unlikely to ever really matter relative to other things that could be discussed.

Fwiw, I agree completely. Correctable errors are fairly rare. Concentrate on and teach the basics first.....violations, what comprises a foul, mechanics, etc. Don't get into other subjects until/unless your campers have mastered these first. If you do have campers who are more experienced and have the basics down, then you can get into game management, calling philosophies,etc. They gotta learn to walk before they can run.

Match the camp to the campers. Jmo.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 06:31am.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 06:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

And His Brother Invented Beer ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The best lecture or presentation I ever saw was from John Adams
He must be good, he had his own miniseries on HBO, right?

Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Fwiw, I agree completely. Correctable errors are fairly rare. Concentrate on and teach the basics first.....violations, what comprises a foul, mechanics, etc. Don't get into other subjects until/unless your campers have mastered these first. If you do have campers who are more experienced and have the basics down, then you can get into game management, calling philosophies,etc. They gotta learn to walk before they can run.

Match the camp to the campers. Jmo.
Ditto. And, in my experience, no matter how much is covered / studied beforehand, it's nearly impossible to be "sure" you get it right once the first CE occurs. Then, you look it up afterwards and learn the most important CE rule: Take your time and don't have any more.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Best talks I heard

1. The talk from Don Rutledge about "packing the chute" in relation to officiating. In turn, I took back what I learned at the camp to my local association.

2. A talk by Joe DeRosa that I remember every time I step on the court. "You never know who is in the stands and watching- do your best every time, no matter the level of the game". I (try) give my all at any game.

peace,