The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 12:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
. However, you do have to admit that most of the "idiots" who show up here don't use their real name.
True dat.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I give a lot of credit to those Forum members, like JRutledge, Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., Camron Rust, and others, who use their real name on this Forum. It certainly gives them a degree of credibility that anonymous posters, like myself, have to work a lot harder to achieve.

Regarding MTD, Sr.'s statement, "I am surprised at BillyMac being told not to use his real name". I was not told. It was only suggested to me, and since I have a lot of respect for the person who made this suggestion, I decided to do what was suggested.

Regarding JRutledge's statement, "As time has gone on I have realized what conversations I should have in public and which I should have in private. Since this is a public site, I use similar standards as to what I would say here as I would off this site". I had problems distinguishing between public and private. I made a few posts giving an interpretation by my interpreter, I believe involving advantage-disadvantage, mentioning him by name. Even though the information that I posted, attributed to him, was an accurate description of what he stated at our local meetings, he told me that he did not appreciate his name appearing all over the internet. Even if I hadn't used his name, and just referred to him as "my interpreter", if my real name were part of the post, it wouldn't have been too difficult to find out who "my interpreter" is, because his name, and title, is published all over the place, both in written publications, as well as our local board's website. So, at his suggestion, my real name, exact location, and local board affiliation, simply became BillyMac, an IAABO official, from Connecticut.

Another reason that I followed his suggestion, was that he pointed out to me that his friend, ChuckElias, had also decided to stop posting under his real name. At the time, I had a lot of respect for ChuckElias. I looked forward to his posts because they had a lot to offer, good solid advice, offered in an educational, not condescending, tone. For those of you who only know of ChuckElias as the "annual baseball guy", or don't remember why he left the Forum, let's go down memory lane:
The main reason I have always liked to use my real name is because I wanted anything I said about my experience, my philosophies, my accomplishments and the organizations and people I know can be verified. I have been on other boards where my name was not listed and I feel it is always harder to verify things because people come to you as if you have something to hide. I have been on association boards, I am a clinician in basketball for my state and I have worked D1 baseball. I have had people question those things because I might say something they disagree with. I want people to know I did not just pull it out of the air or I have had experiences in which I am speaking from. And when I have met people off this site or met people that read this site, they already know something about me and can easily figure out where I am coming from. That is not for everyone to do and I would not advocate it, but you are right that when someone uses their real name it does add a certain level of credibility to them at first. But they can quickly lose it or gain it under the right reasons. And many of the "vets" that are on this board have also been around that most of the people like myself know something about them and have know those things for years.

Now if I ever get to the point where Chuck is I might have to reconsider the actual using of my name, but I am not at that point yet. It did not affect me when I was working D1 Baseball, but D1 basketball is a little different level of scrutiny. As a matter of fact I had a person claim I would never do a lot of things in baseball only to be a step away from the State Finals in that sport this year. Using my name does not bother me, but I can see why it does other people. I just like having to be accountable for what I say.

Peace
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 05:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Credibility isn't something I come here for. I came here, originally, on the recommendation of a JV partner in Iowa, simply to dig into rules discussions and enhance my own rules knowledge. My reasons were purely selfish in that regard. Having or not having credibility here doesn't help me in any way whatsoever, it only would help others decide whether or not to believe what I say. And, frankly, from what I've seen, that only goes so far.

The most credible posters here, from my pespective, are a pretty solid mix of those who use their name and those who use a handle. If anyone wants to judge my credibility, this site has a terrific search feature that allows people to go back and read a bunch of my posts and find out just how many times I've made mistakes on here. Knowing my name and location would only aid my credility if I was staking it on specific officiating accomplishments. I'm not. I stake it on what I've posted here and that alone; an admittedly mixed record, but one that shows a willingness to admit mistakes.

Any credibility that matters would be local and face to face, IMO. No one here has any affect on my career, but if I needed to, and if it would help, I could easily tell a local power-that-is what my handle is and he could judge me accordingly.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Lah me.......too bad.....Mick, NevadaRef, Dan_ref, M&Mguy, Snaqwells, Scrapper1, BktBallRef, BadNewsRef, Tomegun, RookieDude, etc., etc., freaking etc.....these guys just aren't as credible as the others using their real names.

If OldSchool hadda used his real name, would that have applied to him too, Billy?
What am I, chopped liver?
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 11:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Credibility isn't something I come here for. I came here, originally, on the recommendation of a JV partner in Iowa, simply to dig into rules discussions and enhance my own rules knowledge. My reasons were purely selfish in that regard. Having or not having credibility here doesn't help me in any way whatsoever, it only would help others decide whether or not to believe what I say. And, frankly, from what I've seen, that only goes so far.

The most credible posters here, from my pespective, are a pretty solid mix of those who use their name and those who use a handle. If anyone wants to judge my credibility, this site has a terrific search feature that allows people to go back and read a bunch of my posts and find out just how many times I've made mistakes on here. Knowing my name and location would only aid my credility if I was staking it on specific officiating accomplishments. I'm not. I stake it on what I've posted here and that alone; an admittedly mixed record, but one that shows a willingness to admit mistakes.

Any credibility that matters would be local and face to face, IMO. No one here has any affect on my career, but if I needed to, and if it would help, I could easily tell a local power-that-is what my handle is and he could judge me accordingly.
I've removed my last name in the past year and the main reason was it was simply to easy to Google me. I tend to shoot my mouth off once in a while around here and I don't need to make it THAT easy for people to find me.

Then again, I don't fear any repercussions anyway. This isn't the biggest thing in my life and while I enjoy officiating, I am not about to change who I am or how I post just to make people happy. I'd rather pack it in first.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I don't fear any repercussions anyway. This isn't the biggest thing in my life and while I enjoy officiating, I am not about to change who I am or how I post just to make people happy. I'd rather pack it in first.
Since my name has come up in this thread, I guess I'll give my two cents. The possibility of "repercussions" is definitely the reason that I stopped posting. Like Jeff and some others, I want to be able to stand by my words. But the fact that at least one person has lost D1 assignments because of posts on this forum makes me uneasy about even the possibility of being misunderstood or misrepresented, even tho I know that possibility is very remote.

And while officiating is not the biggest thing in my life, if you forced me to choose between my officiating schedule and posting here, it's not really much of a contest.

I talked to several officials about my decision to stop posting here, including Dan, Tony, JR and DJ; as well as BillyMac's interpreter. It just seemed like, in this case, prudence was the better part of valor.

Ok, I'm off to the baseball thread.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Since my name has come up in this thread, I guess I'll give my two cents. The possibility of "repercussions" is definitely the reason that I stopped posting. Like Jeff and some others, I want to be able to stand by my words. But the fact that at least one person has lost D1 assignments because of posts on this forum makes me uneasy about even the possibility of being misunderstood or misrepresented, even tho I know that possibility is very remote.

And while officiating is not the biggest thing in my life, if you forced me to choose between my officiating schedule and posting here, it's not really much of a contest.

I talked to several officials about my decision to stop posting here, including Dan, Tony, JR and DJ; as well as BillyMac's interpreter. It just seemed like, in this case, prudence was the better part of valor.
I was not aware that someone lost assignments because of what they said here. That is very interesting. I will say that if I had a choice of a bigger schedule and talking here that choice is also very easy. I have also learned to stay away from certain topics or to stay away from certain people. And that is no different if I am off the site. I just had to implement the same things I do in real life. In my many roles in officiating I know who I can say things to and who I cannot say things to. I respect the personal decisions we all have to make.

Peace
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 12:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Dawn Of The Dead"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Since my name has come up in this thread, I guess I'll give my two cents.
James Agee is often quoted as saying, "You can never go home again." Boy, does this prove that he was wrong.

Aren't the federal marshals in charge of the witness protection program going to upset about this?

Or, maybe because the movie "Dawn of the Dead" was on cable last night, ChuckElias had come back from the dead?

Or, are you the real ChuckElias? If not, what have you done with the real ChuckElias?

Or...Never mind, I'm sure that Mark Padgett will come up with something funnier anyway, so why should I even try?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 01, 2008 at 12:52pm.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 02:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Boolsh!t!!
Lah me.......too bad.....Mick..., .....these guys just aren't as credible as the others using their real names.
Color me confused.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 02:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Color me confused.
Can you be identified by "mick"? How many "Mick's, Dan's etc. are there officiating basketball in the USA?
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 02:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Can you be identified by "mick"? How many "Mick's, Dan's etc. are there officiating basketball in the USA?
Oh!
I git it.
Just one in Houghton, though.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 03:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Éirinn go Brách ...

Quote:
Can you be identified by "mick"? How many "Mick's are there officiating basketball in the USA?
Mick: Derogatory term for person of Irish descent.

Hey. Watch it. And by the way, Póg mo thóin!

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 01, 2008 at 03:05pm.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 03:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Mick: Derogatory term for person of Irish descent.

Hey. Watch it. And by the way, Póg mo thóin!
BillyMac,
I will choose to believe that your post is only meant to be informative and not patronizing, and that your rear end kissing comment is only adolescent humor.
But, having a genealogy of Scotch and of Irish, having married a Mc, having been a lifelong fan of Michael Charles Mantle and of Mickey Mouse, your comments still ring with a touch of prejudicial ignorance.
Perhaps another choice of words, or no words, would be better recieved.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 04:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Oh!

Just one in Houghton, though.
I don't think that the world is ready for two Micks from Houghton.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 06:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bród ...

Quote:
I will choose to believe that your post is only meant to be informative and not patronizing, and that your rear end kissing comment is only adolescent humor. But, having a genealogy of Scotch and of Irish, having married a Mc, having been a lifelong fan of Michael Charles Mantle and of Mickey Mouse, your comments still ring with a touch of prejudicial ignorance. Perhaps another choice of words, or no words, would be better received.
Here's another choice of words. It's from my family history, that I've been working on for the past month:

The Great Potato Famine, which lasted from 1845 to 1850, resulted in a great exodus of Irish refugees fleeing to Australia, and North America, one of the most dramatic waves of Irish migration in history. The failure of the vital staple crop was caused by a mold, and the disease it causes is commonly known as late blight of potato. Starvation and disease became common as many farmers were driven penniless from their homes. The reality of life during the famine times was emigrate or starve. From 1845 to 1851, Ireland lost almost a quarter of its population. Of these, half emigrated to North America, and Australia. The other half perished. The Great Irish Potato Famine brought unprecedented elements to Irish migration because most of the migrants were unfortunate refugees, rather than voluntary emigrants. They were more likely to be diseased and destitute.

A massive amount of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century for North America and Australia in hopes of finding more opportunities and an escape from discrimination and oppression. A great portion of these migrants arrived on the eastern shores of the North American continent. They were generally poor and destitute, and, therefore, discriminated against. Many business owners put up "No Irish Need Apply" signs, because of the reputation they had as drinking loud mouths. Irish were also seen as dirty and disease ridden. However, these same Irish people were heartily welcomed for the hard labor involved in the construction of railroads, canals, roadways, and buildings. Many others were put to work in the newly established factories, or agricultural projects, that were so essential to the development of the United States of America.

From 1892 to 1924, more than 22 million immigrants came through Ellis Island, and the Port of New York. The ship companies that transported these passengers kept detailed passenger lists, called ship manifests. These manifests have revealed a number of people bearing my family surname, including my great grandfather, who sailing from Londonderry, County Derry, on the SS Furnessia, and arrived at Ellis Island, New York City, on October 24, 1898.

Here's a template for a tattoo that I'll be getting later this week:

Slán agus beannacht leat.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 01, 2008 at 07:07pm.
Closed Thread