The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 12, 2000, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

In last night Varsity Boys contest, one of the players had a tattoo that cover the entire surface of the outter upper arm right at the shoulder......
Rather than try to explain or describe it......You'll just have to take my word that it would be rated at least "R" by today's movie standards and probably an "X" as of a couple of years ago. I felt it unappropriate.....
I told the player that he must cover it during the pregame warm-up. His response was why? I told him that that it was unappropriate and unless he covered it I would not permit him to play.
He went to his bench, told his coach and the player and his coach returned, in protest, to confront my partner (Who concurred) and me. The coach said that he had played with it all year (Obviously seeing nothing wrong wtih the tattoo). I told the coach I would say no more "Cover it or don't play... I don't care if he's had it since birth! Tapes it or wear a tee shirt with sleeves"...... They walked off in search of a tee shirt muttering "Heck of a way to start a ball game....
This wasn't the end of it, but what do you all think?? Have you had this problem before?
jc
Old Sat Feb 12, 2000, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I hate to agree with the coach, but this is a stretch of the NF rules as written. While we can rule on items not specifically addressed by the rule book, I do not know that we can or should deem a tatoo as part of the uniform or a reason to be made ineligible. Once this occurs, where do you draw the line at good vs. bad taste? It would have to be all or none. I would write a letter to the state commish and to the school board, and let them decide.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2000, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Brian is right..Nothing you can do. perhaps a "T" to the parents for allowing this trash on an 18 year old kid...
Old Sat Feb 12, 2000, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious on 02-12-2000 09:01 AM
In last night Varsity Boys contest, one of the players had a tattoo that cover the entire surface of the outter upper arm right at the shoulder......
Rather than try to explain or describe it......You'll just have to take my word that it would be rated at least "R" by today's movie standards and probably an "X" as of a couple of years ago. I felt it unappropriate.....
I told the player that he must cover it during the pregame warm-up. His response was why? I told him that that it was unappropriate and unless he covered it I would not permit him to play.
He went to his bench, told his coach and the player and his coach returned, in protest, to confront my partner (Who concurred) and me. The coach said that he had played with it all year (Obviously seeing nothing wrong wtih the tattoo). I told the coach I would say no more "Cover it or don't play... I don't care if he's had it since birth! Tapes it or wear a tee shirt with sleeves"...... They walked off in search of a tee shirt muttering "Heck of a way to start a ball game....
This wasn't the end of it, but what do you all think?? Have you had this problem before?
jc

If I remember right, there used to be a rule against tattoos but it no longer exists in the rule books.
Locally, some of the coaches are requiring their players to place a *large* bandaid over their tattoos or not play.
I have to admit I like to see the players without the tattoo even though I have one.

If you find it offensive, I see no reason to NOT require it to be covered.
I have had one situation where my partner required a player to cover his tattoo due to the lewdness of the tattoo.
There was no complaint from the coach on that.
I guess you have to take this case by case.

Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Exclamation

As officials, we are not the morality police. As one of God's children, we are--but that is a whole nuther argument! The rule that gives us the authority to deal with situations not specifically addressed I believe has to do with the game of basketball. I don't like it anymore than you, but this ol world is spinning faster and faster everyday. It is particularly disturbing since I have a 7 yr old daughter coming up! The bottom line, IMHO, is just that we can't go around checking tattoos. Leave that to mammas, daddys, teachers, coaches, and administrators. If we as officials are not uniformly educated (by the rule book) then our enforcement can be sporadic at best. You experienced this firsthand when told that you were the first one to make him do anything about it. Don't take this too personal, all I'm saying is that you have to pick your battles wisely, the war has already been won. Ok--I'm done preachin!
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 04:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

As an official, you have every right to require a player to cover a tattoo if it is offensive. You must consider it the same as if the player was saying those words out loud. If you would T a player for those words, then the tattoo is offensive. There is no difference between verbal and written communication. Look at it this way, what would you do if a player took a pencil and paper, wrote something offensive on it and showed it to you. A tattoo is the same thing.

We have covered this extensively in my association and there was no disagreement on this issue.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Mark, I agree with your thinking--but I just feel that what offends you might really be a lot different than what offends me.

Please define offensive as it relates to tattoos?

Until the rule book defines it, we are on really shaky ground by enforcing things that are not there and not directly related to the game. I guess you could argue that a tattoo is on a player who is directly involved in the game, but I would use extreme caution. I would consult the coach/prinicpal/administrator before enforcing anything like this. It is more within their job description to deal with this than ours. We are there to call the game. Sorry that I present a different view than those in your association. I respect you and your postings on this and the other board.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mark is 100% correct. Should the official interpret the tattoo as vulgar, profane, or abusive, is should be covered (physically).

The officials should disapprove ANY FORM of taunting which is intended or DESIGNED to enbarass, ridicule or demean others under ANY circumstances including on the basis of race, religion, gender or national origin.

For those of you that would NOT 'cover' an inappropriate tattoo (or body painting) consider the following circumstances:
a. predominately black school vs. predominately white school. White school players have KKK tattoos...
b. public school kids have 'Jesus S****' tattooed on their arm and are playing a private, religious-based school......
c. team B has 'F*** The Refs' tattooed on their arms .....

I guess a and b would not bother you, but I'm sure c would catch your attention.

These examples are extreme, but by the replies of some of the officials, I don't think they would do anything since they can't justify it by a particular rule in the book.

By the way, paragraph 2 of my reply came from the NF rule book.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Each official has to decide for himself. In this game, with these officials, you decided it would not be allowed. If i am the other official i'll support your decission. Good call.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Matthew
If I was the official, I would ask him to cover it up, and if he refused, I would call a technical on him.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Why call a "T" on him? Just don't let him play until he covers it up (same as refusing to take out an earing). He can't "buy" participation in the game with a "T."

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited February 14, 2000).]
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 06:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

[quote]Originally posted by BK on 02-13-2000 04:06 PM
Mark, I agree with your thinking--but I just feel that what offends you might really be a lot different than what offends me.

Please define offensive as it relates to tattoos?[quote]

My point wasn't to try to define what is or is not offensive. My point was that if a tattoo states something you would eject a player for if he said it, then you treat it just the same as if he said it.

Whether any expression, verbal or written, is offensive is your judgement. Just treat both forms of expression the same. The fact that an expletive is tattooed on doesn't make it any less of an expletive.