Thread: Tattoos
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 12, 2000, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious on 02-12-2000 09:01 AM
In last night Varsity Boys contest, one of the players had a tattoo that cover the entire surface of the outter upper arm right at the shoulder......
Rather than try to explain or describe it......You'll just have to take my word that it would be rated at least "R" by today's movie standards and probably an "X" as of a couple of years ago. I felt it unappropriate.....
I told the player that he must cover it during the pregame warm-up. His response was why? I told him that that it was unappropriate and unless he covered it I would not permit him to play.
He went to his bench, told his coach and the player and his coach returned, in protest, to confront my partner (Who concurred) and me. The coach said that he had played with it all year (Obviously seeing nothing wrong wtih the tattoo). I told the coach I would say no more "Cover it or don't play... I don't care if he's had it since birth! Tapes it or wear a tee shirt with sleeves"...... They walked off in search of a tee shirt muttering "Heck of a way to start a ball game....
This wasn't the end of it, but what do you all think?? Have you had this problem before?
jc

If I remember right, there used to be a rule against tattoos but it no longer exists in the rule books.
Locally, some of the coaches are requiring their players to place a *large* bandaid over their tattoos or not play.
I have to admit I like to see the players without the tattoo even though I have one.

If you find it offensive, I see no reason to NOT require it to be covered.
I have had one situation where my partner required a player to cover his tattoo due to the lewdness of the tattoo.
There was no complaint from the coach on that.
I guess you have to take this case by case.