The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up The NEW AND IMPROVED Fox 40 SONIK!

Hi, I have been doing some test on a new and improved Fox 40 Sonik. I got one of the 1st ones to come out late last year and called them with my reports. It was real hard to get a good sound and took a lot of air to do it. It did not sound very good on one side even though there is no downside to this whistle. I told them about what I thought all the problems were and did not know if I would ever here back from them. THIS IS ONE FINE COMPANY! Last week I got an email from them and they sent me a NEW AND IMPROVED one to try! I have not been able to use it in a game just yet but took it to the gym and BOY is it MUCH BETTER! REAL NICE SOUND with less air and will do it everytime you blow it unlike the 1st one that was sent to me. The other day a friend of mine was on a riding lawnmower across the street and keep in mind I live on a 4 lane highway! I blew the Sonik from my front lawn and he looked up RIGHT THEN! I will give it a better review after I test it in a game or two and get back to everyone but just wanted you to know that it is much improved! The only thing I found wrong was that both sides did not sound exactly alike but it is VERY HIGH PITCHED AND LOUD! I will keep in touch and THANK YOU FOX 40 for being a GREAT COMPANY! Kevin
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Is 89508 your zip code?
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 11:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Is 89508 your zip code?
That would be Reno. Hey - maybe he's on that TV show.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

so where can we buy this "new and improved" fox 40 sonik?
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Talking Fox 40 just got them!

Fox 40 just got them and I am doing a test for them. Right now I guess Fox 40 is the only one that has them. 89508 is not my Zip code. THANKS! Kevin
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 08:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think the question we all have on our minds, though, is:

Do you have an iPod Nano for $20?
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 10:01am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kda89508
Hi, I have been doing some test on a new and improved Fox 40 Sonik. I got one of the 1st ones to come out late last year and called them with my reports. It was real hard to get a good sound and took a lot of air to do it. It did not sound very good on one side even though there is no downside to this whistle. I told them about what I thought all the problems were and did not know if I would ever here back from them. THIS IS ONE FINE COMPANY! Last week I got an email from them and they sent me a NEW AND IMPROVED one to try! I have not been able to use it in a game just yet but took it to the gym and BOY is it MUCH BETTER! REAL NICE SOUND with less air and will do it everytime you blow it unlike the 1st one that was sent to me. The other day a friend of mine was on a riding lawnmower across the street and keep in mind I live on a 4 lane highway! I blew the Sonik from my front lawn and he looked up RIGHT THEN! I will give it a better review after I test it in a game or two and get back to everyone but just wanted you to know that it is much improved! The only thing I found wrong was that both sides did not sound exactly alike but it is VERY HIGH PITCHED AND LOUD! I will keep in touch and THANK YOU FOX 40 for being a GREAT COMPANY! Kevin

Kevin:

You post makes absolutely no sense. It would flunk H.S. freshmen English compostion. It is just another example of spam from some third world country trying to sell us crappola.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 10:04am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
89508 is not my Zip code.
Shoe size? Certainly not I.Q.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy What A Warm Welcome!

WHAT A WARM WELCOME! For those of you who care I am a High School Basketball Official from West Virginia. I was just trying to give you guys some up to date information! I am not sure what you do not understand about my post. The Fox 40 Sonik came out late last year. They did not work or sound the way they were supposed to. I talked to customer service about the problems in December and this month they sent me one that they wanted me to try out and see if it was improved. They had done some improvements to the chambers to make it sound better than the first ones that they came out with in December. I was just trying to give you guys some information. Some of you are not very nice so I will just ignore those remarks and hope I can be of a help to those who bought the first batch of Soniks that did not work correctly. THANK YOU! If you have any questions you can call Fox 40 for yourself and they will help you. THANK YOU! Kevin
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 04:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
WHAT A WARM WELCOME! For those of you who care I am a High School Basketball Official from West Virginia. I was just trying to give you guys some up to date information! I am not sure what you do not understand about my post. The Fox 40 Sonik came out late last year. They did not work or sound the way they were supposed to. I talked to customer service about the problems in December and this month they sent me one that they wanted me to try out and see if it was improved. They had done some improvements to the chambers to make it sound better than the first ones that they came out with in December. I was just trying to give you guys some information. Some of you are not very nice so I will just ignore those remarks and hope I can be of a help to those who bought the first batch of Soniks that did not work correctly. THANK YOU! If you have any questions you can call Fox 40 for yourself and they will help you. THANK YOU! Kevin
Kevin - if you would have explained all this in your original post, I think you would have received a much different response. Please understand it sounded somewhat like a lot of spam posts we get from guys trying to hype the sale of products, usually from overseas. Stick with us and I think you'll get a lot of good info that will help you with your officiating skills. I know I get a lot of good knowledge here, except of course from you-know-who.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Kevin,
Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum.
I asked about the zip code because it would have put you in my city. Obviously, you are not.

I had heard of the sonik whistle and had also heard that it was poor. Glad to learn that they have reengineered it. I use the Fox 40 classic and have for years.

In defense of MTD, your very first post here does seem to advertise a product. In the interest of full disclosure, you should state whether you are being in any way compensated by the Fox 40 company for your testing of their product or your writing about it on this forum.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Did Fox40 do a recall on the 1st batch of the Sonik? I'm curious to know how we can distinguish the 1st batch vs. the "new and improved" Sonik.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not only does the OP seem to advertise, it fits the model of a lot of the spam posts we've received: One long paragraph, with some spelling and grammar errors, interspersed with phrases in ALL CAPS.
Then there's the following quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds89508
unlike the 1st one that was sent to me.
This tells me you're likely a paid tester or advertiser, as it appears they sent you the whistle free of charge; presumably with an understanding that you'd hype it online.

The fact that this was your first post on the forum lends credence to this theory, to be honest. It's not like you'd come here before even to complain about the first version you used. You may not be paid by Fox 40, or you may. I really don't care. As Nevada noted, full disclosure would be appreciated, as we tend to be a skeptical bunch.

So, my first question to you is, "How long have you been officiating?"
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 07:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thanks for writing, Kevin.
Sorry you got dog-piled on your first post here.

In defense of some of the members, your post did appear to be spam-like when I first read it, but a second, and third reading showed that you weren't asking anyone to buy anything from you.

Please accept this sincere apology and hang around to share with us what's going on in West Virginia, the rest of the country and with the FIBA folks that visit from the international hardwoods.
mick
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Smile No Pay!

No, I am not getting paid. I was not ask to do this by Fox 40 either. I have just read on here before about how bad the 1st one was and thought everyone needed to know that they have improved it alot! They actually ask me if I wanted a refund when I got 2 from the 1st batch and I said no. I offered to do a test for them if they ever improved it. This was all done by me not them. The only difference I know between the 1st batch and the new batch is that it is laying on its side in the new batch and on the 1st batch it is laying so you can see Fox 40 Sonik on the top of the whistle. I know this sounds crazy but other than that once you get them out of the package you wont know which one is which. If you want the updated one you had better order it from Fox 40 and ask for it. They may come out with a new way of packing them but for now if you dont ask you may get one of the old ones. I hope I am helping anyone who cares. That is all I was trying to do. THANKS! Kevin The other question I need to answer is I have been a basketball official for 25 years. I know the rules very well and have corrected NFHS on test answers a few times.

Last edited by kda89508; Wed May 28, 2008 at 08:08pm.