The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Read NCAA Men's/Women's R4-S35-A1(b) and A.R. 26(a). The Lead official made the correct call. [/B]
Mark, I don't have my NCAA rule book with me. I'm not sure any rule on jump balls addresses the player still in the air for a shot that we can have a jump ball, even when the ball gets released before the shooter comes to the floor. I'm not saying you can't, I just would question the ball being tied up for a jump ball when a player still got the shot off before coming to the floor. Now i (oops, I) do believe it is a tie up when the shooter comes to the floor before the release as what appeared in the Kent St. game. I not questioning the rule, I questioning the judgement of an official who would call a jump ball when the shooter is still in the air.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
(Leon Wood) tell me to let the play come back to the floor, being held. I think in this case that would have prevented this call.
! [/B]
I would have to say the official did see the shooter come to the floor before the release. If you remember the whistle came after the shooter came down, not when he was in the air. Again i'm (oops I'm) not sure the shooter or the defensive player came to the floor before the release(not that it matter if the Def. player returns to the floor, although we are talking milliseconds) but i will assume the official saw them come to the floor. And if this is the case, don't you think it was the correct call and that is exactly what Leon Wood would have the official call in this play?
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

I agree.
I've just been looking at the replays and it does appear that he was back down, barely.

Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree.
I've just been looking at the replays and it does appear that he was back down, barely.

Thats it! You just give up and agree, whats up with that? What you loose your nuts?
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

I have only seen the replay a couple of times and I don't have my rulebook handy, so take my comments for what they are worth. I thought it was a bad call, I personally would have probably had a no-call. I feel that many times on this forum, due to the nature of the members, that we are too quick to defend a call no matter what. Just because we disagree with a call, doesn't mean we are bashing the official himself or the officiating community. I am confident that this official is among the elite in the nation, but I think it is possible he had a quick whistle and should have let the play develop a little longer. JMHO.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

That's the beautiful thing about tape. It doesn't lie!:sad:
Give up? NEVER!!!!!
I would have like to been the fly on the wall in the post game though.
(By the way, when you say millisecond, you ain't kidding
brother!)
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69

I thought it was a bad call, I personally would have probably had a no-call. JMHO.
Why do you think this was a bad call? I have to assume you believe the lease of the ball was before the shooter returned to the floor. If that is the case then I understand and can appreciate your opinion.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Just so you don't think I'm giving up on this play.
Let me add that I believe the whistle should be held until
the player/s CLEARLY return to the floor.
I do not think the tape shows him CLEARLY returning to the floor. Happy, Bart?
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Yes. And i might add the replay Does not CLEARLY show the players did NOT return to the floor. So there!
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Lost in the discussion, is the fact that the Kent State player travelled on his spin move!
So the jump ball call was merely a makeup call.(for all you conspiracy theorists.)
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

DrakeM, thats good! you da man.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

"Yes. And i might add the replay Does not CLEARLY show the players did NOT return to the floor."

If a tree falls in the woods, and noone is there to hear it..........
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If a tree falls in the woods, and noone is there to hear it.......... [/B]
Sorry not the same thing. This was a conspiracy. They have the replay to prove the official made the correct call. They never showed the center court camera shot.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bart,
I'm not saying wait until the shot goes in before you call a jump ball. I'm saying (IMO) the only way you can call a jump ball on that play is if BOTH players come back down to the ground and then the ball comes loose, or some other effect of the loose ball.
You're absolutely correct that the play must return to the ground before calling the held ball. (Similar to the NFL rule, however, none of the replays I saw conclusively showed whether or not the Kent player returned to the ground, but you could see that he was descending from his jump.)

However, I take issue on the 'let the ball come loose before you call it' approach that you seem to be taking. If the player returns to the ground with the ball in his hands, you have a travel (assuming this isn't part of a jump stop-esqe move). If this happens, the loose ball is negated by the dead ball for the travel (also, it looks really weird to call a held ball when no one is touching it!).
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

yeah, and I have the Grassy Knoll camera shot to prove that
Oswald didn't act alone.