The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Well, I got my first experience reffing an adult league tonight - what an experience. Makes me REALLY not want to go back.

It started off fine - a few gripes over calls or no-calls, but nothing serious. The third quarter got a little worse. I gave one guy a warning for a comment he made to me, and then a T later in the game for the same comment. (Which, by the way, both times involved profanity).

That didn't go over well, but the game continued. While we were shooting some foul shots for an intentional foul (which was grabbing a jersey from behind of a player trying to stop the clock, and the player fell to the ground because of it! - the player didn't have the ball, either), one of the players on the other team said "Stick to Chemistry, Dave" several times to me (I'm a chemistry teacher, and i believe I had his daughter in class last year). After a warning, and him continuing to say it, I T'd him up too. (these were a decent amount of time apart. Also, to put this in perspective, I haven't used a T outside of my intramural league all year!)

So anyway, then my partner starts talking with the guy who got the first T, and the guy says to him something along the lines of "You don't know how to F.... ref" - so he got a T for that one from him.

So we shot the original Foul shots, then the T shots, then the second T shots, and then gave the ball to the team who had the last set of shots.

They just kind of ran the clock out (the minute or so that was left)rather than doing anything that might generate another foul.

What a night!

Here's my questions:

1) In the first event, B1 fouls A1 intentionally. Immediately following the first of the two foul shots, B2 generates a technical by taunting the ref. During the second of the two intentional foul shots, A2 swears at the second ref and generates a T. All of these fit under the false multiple or double foul situation, since none of them were simultaneous. We shot the A's second Intentional shot, A's two T shots, then went to the other end of the court to shoot B's T shots. We then gave posession to team B. They griped that it was a AP arrow inbound. The way I understand the rules, that is for simultaneous fouls - otherwise, it is handled in the order they occur. Was I correct?

2) My partner called a violation on the throw-in for the ball hitting the net on the way in bounds. Is this correct? I thought so there, but after reading the rules, it seemed wrong.

All rules are NFHS... These guys were saying they didn't need to wait for the ball to hit the rim to move on foul shots, didn't have to occupy lane spaces correctly (one was standing on the neutral zone block completely!), and so forth. We were told they were following HS rules.

Opinions and answers to the above questions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Dave Rinke
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
Here's my questions:

1) In the first event, B1 fouls A1 intentionally. Immediately following the first of the two foul shots, B2 generates a technical by taunting the ref. During the second of the two intentional foul shots, A2 swears at the second ref and generates a T. All of these fit under the false multiple or double foul situation, since none of them were simultaneous. We shot the A's second Intentional shot, A's two T shots, then went to the other end of the court to shoot B's T shots. We then gave posession to team B. They griped that it was a AP arrow inbound. The way I understand the rules, that is for simultaneous fouls - otherwise, it is handled in the order they occur. Was I correct?
Yes, you were correct. These are not simulataneous fouls. Shoot the FTs for the fouls in the order in which they occur. Then give the ball to the last teams to shoot.

Quote:
(2) My partner called a violation on the throw-in for the ball hitting the net on the way in bounds. Is this correct? I thought so there, but after reading the rules, it seemed wrong.
There's no violation for hitting the net, goal, or backboard, on a throw-in. It's only a violation if the thrower throws the ball through the basket.

For the nit pickers, you can violate by hitting the back of the backboard.

Quote:
All rules are NFHS... These guys were saying they didn't need to wait for the ball to hit the rim to move on foul shots, didn't have to occupy lane spaces correctly (one was standing on the neutral zone block completely!), and so forth. We were told they were following HS rules.
Evidently, they thought they were playing by NCAA rules or the officials prior to you did not know the NFHS rules.

A few words of advice - You can't take any $hit when working adult rec leagues. If you do, they'll run over you. Don't give warnings, give T's. Don't argue the rules. You know them, they don't. Be consistent with your calls. Get in and get out. That's it.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 01:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Welcome to the wonderful world of "jerkball."

Many adult (and I use the term loosely) leagues play NF rules with the one exception of allowing the players to enter the lane on the release on free throws. Always check with the league or the assignor prior to accepting your first assignment with any of these leagues.

I remember a comment from a buddy last year after he worked his first men's league game. He said all the players were just like Rasheed Wallace - except without the talent.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(2) My partner called a violation on the throw-in for the ball hitting the net on the way in bounds. Is this correct? I thought so there, but after reading the rules, it seemed wrong.
There's no violation for hitting the net, goal, or backboard, on a throw-in. It's only a violation if the thrower throws the ball through the basket.

For the nit pickers, you can violate by hitting the back of the backboard.

Also lodging the ball on the rim on a throw in is a violation and throw in for the other team.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

As bktballref said, the key to working rec ball is not taking their s**t. There will always be idiots that just don't get it. There is one player here in our adult leagues that I throw out every time I ref his team. He complains to everybody in the gym that I'm the worst, that I have it out for him etc. But if you stick to your guns, the ones that
know how to play will respect you and even help you out from time to time.
Really, they will!