The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 14, 2002, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Maybe?
Old Thu Mar 14, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
As a structural engineer, I give the client what he/she wants, as long as it conforms to good engineering practice and is allowable by the applicable design codes. If what the client wants is not allowable by good engineering practice or applicable design codes, the client does not get what he/she wants and now engineer will design a building that does not conform to good engineering practice or applicable design codes. Ethics requires an engineer to give the client what he/she wants as look as it does not violate the two requirements stated above. Especially when designing structures the public safety out weighs the clients wishes and desires.

Moving on to something diferent (and my apologies to Monty Python).

I am going to assume, that anybody who reads this post can read the defintion of obtaining (NFHS)/establishing (NCAA Men's & Women's and FIBA) a legal guarding position. I will say this that the definition in all three rules books are the same. Therefore without further ado I will pose a question and will wait at least 24 hours before posting the correct answer. The question requires only a yes or no answer and one may also post his/her reason for his/her answer.

Play: A1 has possession of the ball for a designated spot throw-in on the endline (Table Side) in Team A's backcourt. A1 is being guarded by B1. A3 and A4 are in Team A's front court Opposite-the-Table, and are guarded by B3 and B4 respectively. A5 is in Team A's front court (Table Side) and is guarded by B5. A1 passes the ball to A2 who is standing under Team B's basket. B2 is standing under Team A's basket and is facing A2. Has B2 established a legal guarding position against A2?
Absolutely.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2002, 12:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Play: A1 has possession of the ball for a designated spot throw-in on the endline (Table Side) in Team A's backcourt. A1 is being guarded by B1. A3 and A4 are in Team A's front court Opposite-the-Table, and are guarded by B3 and B4 respectively. A5 is in Team A's front court (Table Side) and is guarded by B5. A1 passes the ball to A2 who is standing under Team B's basket. B2 is standing under Team A's basket and is facing A2. Has B2 established a legal guarding position against A2? [/B]
I agree with ChuckE.Maybe!It depends on whether B2 is in A2's path.If he is,it is a legal guarding position.If he isn't in A2's path,B2 does not have a legal guarding position.The post doesn't really specify whether B2 is in A2's path or not.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2002, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i] Has B2 established a legal guarding position against A2? [/B]
No. I hold that while 4-23-1 is not 100% specificly written to your question it holds in this case. Six foot is when guarding begins. Until then B2 is really just another player on the court.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2002, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

mark,
the restricted area applies to secondary defenders. if the player taking a charge under the basket is a primary defender the restricted area is null and void.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2002, 03:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Play: A1 has possession of the ball for a designated spot throw-in on the endline (Table Side) in Team A's backcourt. A1 is being guarded by B1. A3 and A4 are in Team A's front court Opposite-the-Table, and are guarded by B3 and B4 respectively. A5 is in Team A's front court (Table Side) and is guarded by B5. A1 passes the ball to A2 who is standing under Team B's basket. B2 is standing under Team A's basket and is facing A2. Has B2 established a legal guarding position against A2?
I agree with ChuckE.Maybe!It depends on whether B2 is in A2's path.If he is,it is a legal guarding position.If he isn't in A2's path,B2 does not have a legal guarding position.The post doesn't really specify whether B2 is in A2's path or not. [/B]

hint: You might want to rethink you last two sentences.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 14, 2002, 03:58pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
[i] Has B2 established a legal guarding position against A2?
No. I hold that while 4-23-1 is not 100% specificly written to your question it holds in this case. Six foot is when guarding begins. Until then B2 is really just another player on the court. [/B]

hint: Closely guarded does not have anything to do with my question.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 14, 2002, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
[i] Has B2 established a legal guarding position against A2?
No. I hold that while 4-23-1 is not 100% specificly written to your question it holds in this case. Six foot is when guarding begins. Until then B2 is really just another player on the court.

hint: Closely guarded does not have anything to do with my question. [/B]
True but my point is that when one is standing a full court away form the dribbler than when does guarding start. As in, “established a legal guarding position”

Or am I missing the whole point of this?
Old Thu Mar 14, 2002, 05:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[[/B]

hint: You might want to rethink you last two sentences. [/B][/QUOTE]You're right!I needed to re-read the sitch.I missed the part where they were under OPPOSITE baskets when I first read it.The answer now is yes,it's a legal guarding position(no minimum distance required).
Old Fri Mar 15, 2002, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mark,
Yes, I believe B2 has obtained a legal guarding position in reference to A2. I wouldn't say it's a very good one.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2002, 05:20pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ridge Wiz
Mark,
Yes, I believe B2 has obtained a legal guarding position in reference to A2. I wouldn't say it's a very good one.

I did not know that a legal guarding position could be classified as either a good one or bad one.
Toledo, Ohio