The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Basketball Assignor Qualities

Our association is going to hire new Assignors for University ball. We have to make up an application form. What are the kinds of things you would be looking for??
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 12:25am
Do not give a damn!!

What are you hiring them to do?

Do you have time to assign games?

What else do you need to know? The rest is very subjective and mostly irrelevant if you ask me.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansonp
Our association is going to hire new Assignors for University ball. We have to make up an application form. What are the kinds of things you would be looking for??

I don't know if it's something you need on an application, but I would want to know who the potential hire has learned from. Our high school assignor has extensive training from Ronnie Nunn in not just refereeing, but what to look for in others. He does an outstanding job of spotting new talent and putting people in games they need to be in. So, I guess what I'm saying is find out what makes the person a good assignor, just because he's a good official doesn't make him good at this job. You have know 100% of your staffs abilities, they can't just be a name. Not sure if this helps but is my $.02 worth.

CLH
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 11:41am
certified Hot Mom tester

One of the main attributes of a successful assignor is the ability to keep track of who attended his camp. That way, he knows who to assign to games.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I would look for someone in the area who has been a successful official at the level the opening is for. Sometimes, a veteran official may want to move their career forward and become a supervisor. I would highly recommend that the assigner NOT officiate the games he/her are expected to assign. So if the assigner currently officiates for that association/conference he/she would have to give it up. The assigner would also need to be extremely organized and a great communicator. Coaches and ADs will weed an assigner out very quickly if they dont' respond to email/telephone calls.

These are just a few qualities that in my opinion would be essential to any supervisor/assigner.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

#1 When push comes to shove an assignor should back the officials, not side with the coaches or ADs. The assignor simply must support his guys.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 06:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Board Bylaws: Commissioner ...

For what it's worth:

Article VI-Commissioner

(A) Qualifications
The Commissioner shall:
1. Be a member of the Board in some status; i.e., active, dual, life, or an honorary member.
2. Have a devotion to, interest in, and knowledge of the game of basketball.

(B) Authority
The Commissioner shall be appointed by the Executive Committee under the following conditions:
1. The term shall be for one (1) year, commencing each year with the Annual Meeting.
2. The term may be extended from year to year with the approval of the Executive Committee.
3. Termination of his/her appointment shall require a simple majority of the Executive Committee.
4. The Commissioner shall give written notice of his/her intention to resign at least thirty (30) days prior to the Annual Meeting.

(C) Compensation
1. All approved expenses of the Commissioner’s office and compensation will be paid by the Secretary/Treasurer.

(D) Duties
The duties of the Commissioner shall be:
1. To assign officials to schools, conferences, and leagues in accordance with lists of eligible officials submitted by the schools, conferences, and leagues involved, as far as possible. The remainder of the officials will be selected in accordance with the Commissioner’s knowledge of the ability of the officials to fulfill the assignments, taking into consideration the official’s rating/ranking. The Commissioner shall have jurisdiction overall assignments at Schools/Teams serviced by agreement with the CIAC, Prep Schools, and any league/teams that solicit the services of the Board
2. To represent the Board in negotiations (other than financial) with schools, conferences, and leagues, relative to lists, officials, etc., and to advise the Executive Committee of such meetings.
3. To submit to the Executive Committee prior to the Annual Meeting a complete report of the activities, including expenditures of his office, and provide a report of assignments made to the membership at the Annual Meeting.
4. To fine each member for each assignment turned back.
5. To fine each member for each accepted assignment, which the official does not fulfill. The fine will be that particular game fee.
6. To fine each member each time the Commissioner has to call a member who has not returned a game confirmation slip or confirming telephone call.
7. To provide schedules to officials no later than two (2) weeks prior to the start of the CIAC Boys/Girls Basketball Season.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

1) People skills. An assignor deals with many different people from many different groups. They need to exude professionalism and be good communicators.

2) Courage. An assignor has to make difficult decisions at times. They need to be able to do the right thing without letting personal relationships affect those decisions.