The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Would you talk to your assignor ?

From a fellow official...

Recently I worked with a 30 + yr official who is VERY weak in many parts of his game, calls all over the court, mechanics are "strange" and a lot of showboat mechanics...almost NO communication with his partners, not willing to listen to anyone, he never makes mistakes,.etc . We made him the R on the crew..not ONE word of pregame..which tells you how the game went...when we had double whistles, even if completely across court from him, he blew his whistle and he took it, calls completely across the paint, out of his area, right in front of partners, he rotates AWAY from strongside, (first time I have EVER seen that), and the list goes on and on.
Could have been a train wreck if I and our other partner weren't on the same page and able to overcome most of his goofiness, except...I am lead on a breakaway, defender blocks the ball, offensive player's momentum takes her out of bounds, she STEPS back in with one foot, CLEARLY INBOUNDS and grabs the ball right in front of me, and yes, he comes from midcourt, jumps all over the court waving his arms, gets on one knee to point over and back, and calls her out of bounds, blows his whistle, waves the other way and trots off into the sunset..!!!! RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.... right in front of me, MY CALL 100%, so not only is he out of his area totally, he is wrong, and he makes a fool of himself and us as a crew..and he is 100% wrong..no point in reversing it, only a min left, a 35 pt game...coach looks at me and goes wild...she asks "What is he doing? Not his call, you were right there, and she was inbounds?" I calm her down, tell her it is not worth fighting his error, it is a 35 pt game, etc...and she says "but he been doing that all game" and all I can do is nod my head and agree
A good partner? NO way...Were we a good crew? Not really..you are only as good as your weakest member...because it was a 35 pt game, it was not so crucial..could have been disaster...and he will continue to be assigned varsity games when he should not be just because he is a 30 yr official. Fortunately we still had a good game, because my partner and I were able to overcome Mr Showboat.....but an interesting night to say the least.....
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef

Recently I worked with a 30 + yr official who is VERY weak in many parts of his game, calls all over the court, mechanics are "strange" and a lot of showboat mechanics...almost NO communication with his partners, not willing to listen to anyone, he never makes mistakes,.etc .
He isn't a 30+ year official. He's a 1 year official X 30+. There's a big difference. Experience does not necessarily equal competence.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
To answer the question posed with the intent of the post......

Not really, because the assignor is the one that put "Super-Ref" on the game in the first place. Your two options are:

1) Subtly find out how many games you have been assigned to work with "Super-Ref" and return them to the assignor

OR

2) Work the games that have been assigned, and stand up to "Super-Ref" when he tries to make himself more important than the game. Take the calls that are in your primary, force pregame discussions, and emphasize that the three refs out there are a TEAM.

JR, nice quote.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Everything depends on your association and your assignor. In my association, the assignor has a good ol' boy system. It does not matter how bad or how good they are. These simialr types always gets the games. We have a loose cannon in this assoication. Calls in front of you. Throws fans, coaches, and/or adminstators out of games on a consistant basis. He leads the assoication in 'T's. He always gets post season tournaments. He is always rated the lowest by the coaches but still gets post season games. The top games and rivalries in the season he gets. Why? No one knows, but the assignor has had calls about him from coaches, ADs, adminstrators and/or other officials. Doesn't change a thing. There are several others in this association that fall into this same group. NO CHANGES ARE MADE.

Although I knew of one association that did take steps to resolved issues like this.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 09:19pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
From a fellow official...

Recently I worked with a 30 + yr official who is VERY weak in many parts of his game, calls all over the court, mechanics are "strange" and a lot of showboat mechanics...almost NO communication with his partners, not willing to listen to anyone, he never makes mistakes,.etc . We made him the R on the crew..not ONE word of pregame..which tells you how the game went...when we had double whistles, even if completely across court from him, he blew his whistle and he took it, calls completely across the paint, out of his area, right in front of partners, he rotates AWAY from strongside, (first time I have EVER seen that), and the list goes on and on.
Could have been a train wreck if I and our other partner weren't on the same page and able to overcome most of his goofiness, except...I am lead on a breakaway, defender blocks the ball, offensive player's momentum takes her out of bounds, she STEPS back in with one foot, CLEARLY INBOUNDS and grabs the ball right in front of me, and yes, he comes from midcourt, jumps all over the court waving his arms, gets on one knee to point over and back, and calls her out of bounds, blows his whistle, waves the other way and trots off into the sunset..!!!! RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.... right in front of me, MY CALL 100%, so not only is he out of his area totally, he is wrong, and he makes a fool of himself and us as a crew..and he is 100% wrong..no point in reversing it, only a min left, a 35 pt game...coach looks at me and goes wild...she asks "What is he doing? Not his call, you were right there, and she was inbounds?" I calm her down, tell her it is not worth fighting his error, it is a 35 pt game, etc...and she says "but he been doing that all game" and all I can do is nod my head and agree
A good partner? NO way...Were we a good crew? Not really..you are only as good as your weakest member...because it was a 35 pt game, it was not so crucial..could have been disaster...and he will continue to be assigned varsity games when he should not be just because he is a 30 yr official. Fortunately we still had a good game, because my partner and I were able to overcome Mr Showboat.....but an interesting night to say the least.....
If you end up in a 3 man crew again, do not make the above mistake again. And if it happens in the first half, you know what your halftime talk will consist of. And then follow that advice given by so many...get in get done get out.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Duct tape his mouth. Duct tape his wrists and stuff him in a locker until the game is over. Work the game 2 person.

This commercial was brought to you by Manco. MAker of All purpose duct tape.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 09:24am
Huck Finn

I can't imagine this happening. If you have a call that is yours, beat him to the table. If you have a line that he is all over, go to him and tell him what you have as you are showing him your backside. He would look like a pretty big fool reporting a foul that has already been reported or going down court all by himself wouldn't he?
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can't imagine this happening. If you have a call that is yours, beat him to the table. If you have a line that he is all over, go to him and tell him what you have as you are showing him your backside. He would look like a pretty big fool reporting a foul that has already been reported or going down court all by himself wouldn't he? tomegun
I would agree although you don't want to make the crew look any worst than it already looks. Although if he is a 30 + year vet he is probably like someone mentioned part of the good ole boy system. There are steps that the coaches can take. I know here in Va we get evaluated by AD, coaches and our own veteran officials. If enough people complain, he won't get any V games or put him through some extra training. There are some back lashes if you as an official may get by speaking out to your assignor. He may budddies with the assignor. I guess a bunch of your fellow officials have to speak out as a unit.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Can't teach an old dog new tricks!:P