The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Thinking of becoming a basketball official-Michigan

Hey folks,

Came across this board after visiting our high school officials site for Michigan, and I thought I would come in and say hello. Right now I am a soccer official USSF, just started HS, but I was looking for something to do in the winter, and I thought basketball would be fun (and no, I have never done basketball refereeing before!). Contacted one of our local HS groups (I'm in metro Detroit area) and they were very responsive and recommended attending a local clinic. Sounds fun, but of course there is an initial investment in uniforms and the clinic itself. Unfortunately, most of the soccer referees I know don't do basketball, so I have no gauge on how things work here in Michigan. Is it fun to do HS stuff here? What do people do outside of the standard fall/winter season? I know they just moved the girls season closer/on top of the boys season, which I'm guessing will open up more games for folks. I'd like to just do some networking with some other officials and see what some of the general thoughts were on refereeing in Michigan. I saw an article somewhere that referees were also upset with the current pay rates (at least in basketball), but I could not read the article in detail to see how "bad" it is. I know soccer generally pays reasonably well, but with gas prices going up, it is becoming less desirable to travel unless you get double headers, etc.

Thanks again.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:17am
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Welcome to the board and, I hope, welcome to the avocation. In working basketball games, you'll probably do your running in shorter bursts and you'll be much closer to the coaches and fans, so be prepared.

However, you'll find there is a bit more scoring in this game.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Welcome to the board and, I hope, welcome to the avocation. In working basketball games, you'll probably do your running in shorter bursts and you'll be much closer to the coaches and fans, so be prepared.

However, you'll find there is a bit more scoring in this game.
Well, in most games anyway. I think we've all had the middle school game that is the exception to prove the rule.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Paintguru,

My recommendation is to definitely do it. Consider the cost of uniforms and clinics as an investment. Having looked into possibly reffing soccer this year (I ended up not doing it for time commitment reasons), I think you'll find the uniform investment a little more modest than for soccer -- 1 striped shirt, 1 pair of Sans-a-belts, 1 jacket, 1 pair shoes will do you to start. And you'll do a lot better if you attend clinics and other training.

I set myself a goal with soccer to stick with it long enough to pay for all my gear. Mostly it was a goal to ensure I didn't quit too quickly if I decided I hated it. I'd recommend the same to you. Those first few games can be a little unsettling. But keep at it and I think you'll love it!

Bring your questions here, you'll get lots of feedback (and even some help, hehehe) Let us know how it goes.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Paintguru,

My recommendation is to definitely do it. Consider the cost of uniforms and clinics as an investment. Having looked into possibly reffing soccer this year (I ended up not doing it for time commitment reasons), I think you'll find the uniform investment a little more modest than for soccer -- 1 striped shirt, 1 pair of Sans-a-belts, 1 jacket, 1 pair shoes will do you to start. And you'll do a lot better if you attend clinics and other training.

I set myself a goal with soccer to stick with it long enough to pay for all my gear. Mostly it was a goal to ensure I didn't quit too quickly if I decided I hated it. I'd recommend the same to you. Those first few games can be a little unsettling. But keep at it and I think you'll love it!

Bring your questions here, you'll get lots of feedback (and even some help, hehehe) Let us know how it goes.
Thanks. Yes believe me, I am getting fed up with the uniform costs in soccer, especially since I am trying to upgrade and it is "frowned upon" to not have OSI gear (that is for another thread though). The one thing we don't have in the soccer world are these summer refereeing clinics, which at $200-300, is pretty much most of my soccer uniform costs, at least for one set of shirts . One question I guess is, how often do folks go to these clinics? Are they going every year? I'm happy as long as I can recoup the costs of it reasonably quickly. I really don't care if I'm doing middle school, JV or whatever, I just want to learn how to do it and if people decide I am good at it, then they can put me wherever. Since I am used to hearing ignorant parents comment on rules and dealing with complaining coaches and players, I figure I'm half way there!

Chris
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 03:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
And don't take a part-time job at Foot Locker thinking you'll get a free uniform. I believe they have collared shirts. You might also consider some Fox40 whistles.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru
Thanks. Yes believe me, I am getting fed up with the uniform costs in soccer, especially since I am trying to upgrade and it is "frowned upon" to not have OSI gear (that is for another thread though). The one thing we don't have in the soccer world are these summer refereeing clinics, which at $200-300, is pretty much most of my soccer uniform costs, at least for one set of shirts . One question I guess is, how often do folks go to these clinics? Are they going every year? I'm happy as long as I can recoup the costs of it reasonably quickly. I really don't care if I'm doing middle school, JV or whatever, I just want to learn how to do it and if people decide I am good at it, then they can put me wherever. Since I am used to hearing ignorant parents comment on rules and dealing with complaining coaches and players, I figure I'm half way there!
I try to do at least one camp every year. This summer I'm doing three. I'll keep doing them yearly until I believe they are no longer worth the cost to me. I attended one the summer before my first year of HS ball. It got me off to a great start.

I have no way to know how often people in your neck of the woods attend camps/clinics. But I will say this, every camp you attend that another official in your area doesn't, just shortens the time it will take to pass him/her up.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
And don't take a part-time job at Foot Locker thinking you'll get a free uniform. I believe they have collared shirts. You might also consider some Fox40 whistles.
Oh believe me, I'm a whistle whore already. I think I have a good 10 whistles of differing types, and there is a Fox40 in there.

Chris
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 07:06pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Oh believe me, I'm a whistle whore already. I think I have a good 10 whistles of differing types, and there is a Fox40 in there.
I remember one guy who followed me dumping out his bag of whistles looking for the 'right' one. He must've had 20 of 'em. One mutual friend said, "You shouldn't have more whistles than can fit in your mouth."
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 07:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
One mutual friend said, "You shouldn't have more whistles than can fit in your mouth."
Is that the same logic to use in determining how many jockstraps you should own?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
'

How come basketball officials don't have different color jerseys to chose from? It would make the pregame more fun:
Hey! As a baseball umpire, I resemble that remark.

Although our colors aren't as brutal as the soccer ones.....
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Hey! As a baseball umpire, I resemble that remark.

Although our colors aren't as brutal as the soccer ones.....
Colors are fine, it is the pinstripes and collar that I hate.

By the way, anyone been/going to Mike Smith's camp at Oakland College? That is the camp I thought about attending this summer, and it would be nice to know SOMEONE!

Chris
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
By the way, anyone been/going to Mike Smith's camp at Oakland College? That is the camp I thought about attending this summer, and it would be nice to know SOMEONE!
Paintguru,
I know this camp in Saginaw. June 20,21,22

Our camp is geared for all levels of experience, as you are placed in groups with other officials of equal ability. This allows us to instruct you at your rate, without confusing you or boring you. You will learn the proper way to officiate 2 person and / or 3 person mechanics. Our camp can help you attain your goals and ambitions at a rate you never thought possible. There are so many things to learn about officiating that can make your job easier.

Jim Eastman
Director, Tri-City Basketball Officials Camp

If you desire more information, you can get me at [email protected]