The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Question Lisa Mattingly

I'm not a basketball referee, just a fan of good officials in any sport. In my opinion, without a doubt, the best referee in the womens game over the last decade or so is/was Lisa Mattingly. I just checked wanjab's list of officials who have worked this year's tournaments and noticed she hasn't worked anything. I plead total ignorance on this one...can anyone tell me why the disappearance? Thanks in advance.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 08:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think she started hanging out with that Diebler fella. He's bad news.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Maybe it was administrative. USA Today Article

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Some prominent officials short on requirements
By Steve Berkowitz and Steve Wieberg
USA TODAY

A number of notable men's basketball game officials were not assigned to work the NCAA tournament because they did not meet a set of administrative requirements.

Among the officials affected was Jim Burr, who has worked 16 Final Fours, including 14 of the previous 18, and seven finals. Burr attributed his exclusion to "an administrative mix-up" over whether he completed one of the three requirements.

Bernard Clinton, who works in the Atlantic Coast Conference, also was affected, says John Clougherty, the ACC's coordinator of men's basketball officials. Clougherty adds he appealed to the NCAA, "but it didn't go anywhere."

Without specifying why, Greg Shaheen, the NCAA senior vice president who oversees the event, says "a handful" of tournament-worthy refs were excluded.

Adds Shaheen, who declined to identify the affected officials, "Every year, we have people who have (the procedural) issue. This year, it just happens to be some relatively high-profile people."

Ninety-six officials are selected for the tournament. To be eligible, they must meet three administrative requirements by mid-November, says Shaheen: attend a regional rules clinic in the fall, consent to a background check and take an online rules test.

Leagues nominate officials for the tournament in late February, and from that group, NCAA men's basketball officiating coordinator Hank Nichols forwards a list to the Division I basketball committee. The committee has final approval.

Burr, who works regular-season games in several major conferences and worked this year's Big East Conference tournament final, declined to say which requirement he did not complete, except to say "there was a document online that I thought I did, and (NCAA officials) claim they didn't receive it."

"I don't know whose fault it is," Burr says, "maybe it's mine — I'm not shirking my responsibility (for the problem). … Am I disappointed? Sure. But it's not the end of the world. Life goes on. There's no animosity on my part. They have to protect the integrity of the game, and I respect that greatly. But there's nothing wrong. I'm squeaky clean. … The NCAA did what they had to do. It's no different than a young man seeking his eligibility."

Clougherty, who worked Final Fours with Burr, says, "The tournament would be better with a guy of Jim Burr's status. … If you take Alex Rodriguez out of the Yankees lineup, their lineup is not as strong. But the Yankees still play."
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 09:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millah
In my opinion, without a doubt, the best referee in the womens game over the last decade or so is/was Lisa Mattingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
A number of notable men's basketball game officials were not assigned to work the NCAA tournament because they did not meet a set of administrative requirements.
Just sayin'.

And, no, I don't know if she retired or is injured or what, but her absence from any postseason action is certainly notable. Maybe she's full-time WNBA now?
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Just sayin'.

And, no, I don't know if she retired or is injured or what, but her absence from any postseason action is certainly notable. Maybe she's full-time WNBA now?
There are plenty of tournament officials who are full time WNBA -- the schedules don't conflict at all.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Lisa Mattingly is out for the rest of the season due to an injury.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
Lisa Mattingly is out for the rest of the season due to an injury.
Yep, hurt her leg or something.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 02:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Yep, hurt her leg or something.
That hasn't stopped Hillary from working. He worked an NIT game last night and it looked like his leg wouldn't even bend at the knee.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
That hasn't stopped Hillary from working. He worked an NIT game last night and it looked like his leg wouldn't even bend at the knee.
He's looked bad all year. Of course, he's supposedly "recovered" from his injury...
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 03:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I saw Hillary on TV last night. Her legs looked fine. However, her husband hopes his girlfriend doesn't have a problem bending her knees.

OK - that's my political joke for the day.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 03:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Hilary has more to lose by not working. Mattingly will be right where she was before. Ask Dee Kantner.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 31, 2017, 05:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Posts #1 and #2 of this thread were put up on a screen and read by Mike Pereira at the NASO Summit today as part of introducing Lisa Mattingly, who they interviewed. 17 Final Fours.

Adam, sadly Pereira thought the Diebler reference referred to Bobby Dibler.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2017, 06:57pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Wondered why you would dredge up a 10 year old post.

Seems like Diebler made a home for himself playing with several Turkish teams over the past 2-3 seasons, bless his heart!