Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 11:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Ok, I can live with the correction.

(I probably could've left out the serious topic in that list, right?)
I wasn't going to say anything, but....
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Making Kerry Wood your closer?
I almost knocked over my computer on that one.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 12:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Just FYI - here is the full "Safety Time Out" Proposal:

Any head coach may call a Safety Time Out. Both Head coaches and the Game Officials will meet in the center of the court. The Head coach will state why he/she feels that player safety is not acceptable. The opposing head coach will be asked if they agree or disagree with the claim. If both coaches agree then the officials are bound to correct their actions. Play will resume for 2 minutes of game time before a safety time out can be called again.

Rationale: I have witnessed too many basketball games that have evolved into full contact, and hardest hitter wins, contests. Most have resulted in players needing medical treatment. The state office has failed to address the issue over several years. I have asked many officials why this is happening; the usual response is that if they called all the fouls they saw then the games would take too long. It is interpreted that this willful disregard for the established rules is a provable case of Felony Child Abuse. I would like the national level rules committee to attempt to address this issue with a new rule.
That one will be ignored (and laughed at in the background).
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Here are the proposals that will be considered by the rules committee:

1. Instant replay by state adoption.--OK
2. Add definition of a "dark" jersey.--Not necessary
3. Adjustments to rules for hair control devices.--Why?
4. Adopting the NCAAW closely guarded rules.--Stupid with no shot clock and current back court rules.
5. Change team control rules to include the throw-in.--Yes
6. Add common fouls during a throw-in to the definition of team control foul.--Yes
7. Change definition of team control so that team control ends on a defensive deflection.--Maybe
8. Add a new definition for "offensive fouls".--Why?
9. Eliminate the jump ball to begin overtime.--No
10. Eliminate the resumption of play procedure and add another delay of game warning.--I agree
11. Play halves instead of quarters.--Yes
12. Eliminate coaches' ability to request time-out during live ball.--Yes
13. Allow coaches to request a "Safety Time-Out" when player safety becomes a concern.--No
14. Adopt NCAA rules for FT alignment.--I would not like this unless they add the release as the end of restrictions on FTs
15. Ignore swinging of elbows violation by defense if committed during a successful try.--No problem, but not nessessary.
16. Shot clock by state adoption.--No problem with this
17. Adjust penalty for excessive TO; penalize only if discovered when violated.--Yes
18. Adjust penalty for illegal jerseys; one team technical maximum.--Yes
19. Technical foul for causing the ring to vibrate, regardless of whether the contact on the backboard is intentional or not.--No
20. Shoot the bonus on the second team foul in the last two minutes of the second half, regardless of total team fouls.--No

They'll also consider some signal additions.--Always
Peace
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 12:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
That one will be ignored (and laughed at in the background).
Considering that many of the people that are usually on the board are not officials, do not be so sure about that one.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
1. Adopt all collegiate rules and be done with rule changes that progress toward college basketball.

2. Have seperate rules for boys and girls basketball.

3. Do away with yearly rule changes for a five year period. Identify POE's only on a yearly basis.

Why would you want different rules for girls?
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
We already have different rules in CA.
The rationale is that it prepares them better for the college game as well as speeding up play.
I still think they have the shot clocks wrong though....it should be 30 for boys and 35 for girls.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 12:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Considering that many of the people that are usually on the board are not officials, do not be so sure about that one.

Peace
I would love this to happen. We would have a safety timeout, coaches would get whacked and we'd shoot free throws.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
The fact that coaches, players, fans, and even many officials can't properly learn one set of rules should be warning enough against implementing two sets!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 01:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
We already have different rules in CA.
The rationale is that it prepares them better for the college game as well as speeding up play.
I still think they have the shot clocks wrong though....it should be 30 for boys and 35 for girls.
They do that in Cali just so the players competency will stay on par with the referees.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Any head coach may call a Safety Time Out. Both Head coaches and the Game Officials will meet in the center of the court. The Head coach will state why he/she feels that player safety is not acceptable. The opposing head coach will be asked if they agree or disagree with the claim. If both coaches agree then the officials are bound to correct their actions. Play will resume for 2 minutes of game time before a safety time out can be called again.

Rationale: I have witnessed too many basketball games that have evolved into full contact, and hardest hitter wins, contests. Most have resulted in players needing medical treatment. The state office has failed to address the issue over several years. I have asked many officials why this is happening; the usual response is that if they called all the fouls they saw then the games would take too long. It is interpreted that this willful disregard for the established rules is a provable case of Felony Child Abuse. I would like the national level rules committee to attempt to address this issue with a new rule.

How did this one actually make it to the list that the committee has to consider?
If both coaches don't like the job that the officials are doing, then the officials should leave and the coaches should officiate the remainder of the contest. Good luck.
Clearly this submission was not made by an official.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 01:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

I love the part in red. Let's make officiating basketball games a democratic affair.

"Ref, we both agree, you are not calling this game properly. Call more fouls or you don't get paid. Oh but only call them on the other team." Oh Lordy....

Maybe they can consider an "Ask the Audience" rule next year.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 01:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs down

Quote:
Any head coach may call a Safety Time Out. Both Head coaches and the Game Officials will meet in the center of the court. The Head coach will state why he/she feels that player safety is not acceptable. The opposing head coach will be asked if they agree or disagree with the claim. If both coaches agree then the officials are bound to correct their actions. What if one coach disagrees?

Rationale: I have witnessed too many basketball games that have evolved into full contact, and hardest hitter wins, contests. Most have resulted in players needing medical treatment. I haven't reffed for nearly as long as most of you I'm sure, but I've seen enough games and NEVER witnessed this. Hardest hitter wins? C'mon.
JMO
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Ok, I can live with the correction.

(I probably could've left out the serious topic in that list, right?)
As a rule I never talk about any of these things in mixed company because you never know who you'll offend (and gawd knows I would never want to offend anyone... except maybe that annoying irritant troll Bhuk Elics)

1. Religion
2. Politics
3. The relative level of athleticism and competition men's basketball to woman's
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
They do that in Cali just so the players competency will stay on par with the referees.
Exactly!!