The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Switching from mens to womens

What are your thoughts on this?

I know a few guys who want to switch to women's from men's because they can move up quicker. I do men's college and I'm happy with where I am. I'm moving up and doing D2 right now with the possibility of getting picked up soon for mid-major D1 conferences.

But I know getting to the highest levels, BCS Conferences, takes LOTS of time and I'm really young. (26 years old)

However, I was told by a clinician who is a women's official that someone like me--minority, young, runs fast--would move up the ladder on the D1 women's side really quickly.

I've never been opposed to women's basketball. Hell, I've officiated 2 high school girls games in the last 3 years total but that's not by choice though. I know officials, some of them close friends, who always say that they'll never do womens and if they did, they'd feel like they failed at officiating. I mean sure, it's no men's college, but it's not that bad...I don't think? I mentioned this to a few other officiating friends and they told me to stop drinking and I'd be stupid to switch.

I'd still want to achieve my goal of officiating major D1 mens...but I realize that's most likely not going to happen for another 10-15 years.

Ehh, I'm just rambling now.

Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 02:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

If the objective is to work high level college ball at all costs, then that might be the right decision. If the objective is to be happy, then it might not be the right decision for you if you have worked very little girl's basketball. We have had this discussion many times and ultimately you have to look yourself in the mirror and be happy with your decision. There is nothing anyone can say to you here that will make you be happy with your decision either way. If it was I the choice is easy. I would not make the change. I changed from women's basketball to men's basketball. So I am clearly bias to which is better to work.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 03:01pm
Esteemed Participant

So essentially your ONLY reason to switch to calling NCAAW is because you think you would move into the "big-time" faster, is that correct???

Bwahahahahahahahaha...sorry, but that always makes me crack up. So here's the deal - the assignors and conference supervisors on the NCAAW side are NOT complete morons. They will watch you work at a camp, like (probably) what they see, and want to talk with you about working for them. After about 5 minutes, they will realize that you are just another one of the arrogant people who think NCAAW is "easier" than NCAAM and that you don't really want to work NCAAW, but think that doing it for a few years - at the highest level, of course - will pad your resume enough so that the NCAAM supervisors will want to snatch you right up. And then they will politely tell you to take a hike.

On the other hand, maybe some of the NCAAW supervisors will give you a shot and start giving you games. Won't take long for your partners to see where you are coming from, and then nobody will want to work with you.

Best case scenario is that you get hired, work some games, get along with everyone and do a good job...and then the NCAAM supervisors won't be interested because you work NCAAW games.

Unless you really want to work NCAAW ball, stay the hell away.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 03:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
So essentially your ONLY reason to switch to calling NCAAW is because you think you would move into the "big-time" faster, is that correct???

Bwahahahahahahahaha...sorry, but that always makes me crack up. So here's the deal - the assignors and conference supervisors on the NCAAW side are NOT complete morons. They will watch you work at a camp, like (probably) what they see, and want to talk with you about working for them. After about 5 minutes, they will realize that you are just another one of the arrogant people who think NCAAW is "easier" than NCAAM and that you don't really want to work NCAAW, but think that doing it for a few years - at the highest level, of course - will pad your resume enough so that the NCAAM supervisors will want to snatch you right up. And then they will politely tell you to take a hike.

On the other hand, maybe some of the NCAAW supervisors will give you a shot and start giving you games. Won't take long for your partners to see where you are coming from, and then nobody will want to work with you.

Best case scenario is that you get hired, work some games, get along with everyone and do a good job...and then the NCAAM supervisors won't be interested because you work NCAAW games.

Unless you really want to work NCAAW ball, stay the hell away.
Then maybe clinicians shoudn't make statements like "that someone like me--minority, young, runs fast--would move up the ladder on the D1 women's side really quickly."

I was at a D3 conference camp last summer and a clinician asked me if I would be interested in working Women's ball to "get my foot in the door" and then maybe move over to the Men's side after a couple of seasons.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTripleJump
What are your thoughts on this?

I know a few guys who want to switch to women's from men's because they can move up quicker. I do men's college and I'm happy with where I am. I'm moving up and doing D2 right now with the possibility of getting picked up soon for mid-major D1 conferences.

But I know getting to the highest levels, BCS Conferences, takes LOTS of time and I'm really young. (26 years old)

However, I was told by a clinician who is a women's official that someone like me--minority, young, runs fast--would move up the ladder on the D1 women's side really quickly.

I've never been opposed to women's basketball. Hell, I've officiated 2 high school girls games in the last 3 years total but that's not by choice though. I know officials, some of them close friends, who always say that they'll never do womens and if they did, they'd feel like they failed at officiating. I mean sure, it's no men's college, but it's not that bad...I don't think? I mentioned this to a few other officiating friends and they told me to stop drinking and I'd be stupid to switch.

I'd still want to achieve my goal of officiating major D1 mens...but I realize that's most likely not going to happen for another 10-15 years.

Ehh, I'm just rambling now.

I know officials, some of them close friends, who always say that they'll never do womens and if they did, they'd feel like they failed at officiating.

Sad.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 03:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

At least in my experience working Women's basketball does not endear yourself to Men's basketball. One many levels it might set you back because many I have come in contact with do not want women's officials working on the men's side. Now maybe there are people that have got away with it without being noticed, but mostly when they find out it seems to hurt them.

Also it was also in my experience that working women's ball is a lot easier to advance than men's ball. There was a female referee (who I showed a picture of awhile back) that moved into my area and got a full college schedule right off the bat. Granted she is a very good official, but I do not know a single men's official that did the same and had 20-30 college games.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 03:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Man, your thread title really threw me until I remembered this is a basketball site.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Two Good Reasons

Two Good reasons to do wome's ball:

1.) It pays the same.

2.) They smell better.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF
2.) They smell better.
Ain't that the truth.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 04:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

1.) It pays the same.

2.) They smell better.
This is logic which cannot be refuted.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 04:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:

Are you guys talking about Jim Wome?
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
...the assignors and conference supervisors on the NCAAW side are NOT complete morons...
Patched things up, eh?
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 05:19pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Then maybe clinicians shoudn't make statements like "that someone like me--minority, young, runs fast--would move up the ladder on the D1 women's side really quickly."

That is probably a very true statement. Young, minority officials have a very good shot at moving up quickly...but NOT young, minority officials who are only doing it so they can move over to the Men's side in a couple of seasons. I have seen plenty of the first example, and plenty of the second in my years...the first example do tend to move up fast and have very good careers. The second tend to be gone from D-I officiating in a couple of seasons. JMO, based on my observations.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 06:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'd Rather Fight Than Switch ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tareytonad.jpg
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 06:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Patched things up, eh?
Sounds more like sucking up.....

Kiss, kiss..

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Mar 31, 2008 at 06:59pm.