The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
That's funny...There's an exit near Hampton University in which people try this trick before entering the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. But at the bottom of the ramp is a weigh station and a couple of mirrors which are used by the State Troopers to catch people using this tactic. Me, I get off one exit earlier and cut through the outskirts of the campus then go down the ramp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Honestly, I wasn't aware this is illegal. I do this occasionally, but not for this purpose. I usually do it when I find myself stuck in an exit-only lane but don't want to exit.

When I've tried it for speed purposes, it's always backfired.
I wasn't aware that it was illegal and think it is probably a strech of some other law if the troopers are issuing citations. I knew it was illegal to cut through a parking lot to avoid a line at a traffic light but how can it be illegal to remain completely on public streets and take one route over another (obeying all traffic control devices and speeds along the way)?

There is one place in Portland that I do so often...It is an interchange that is very poorly designed. If traffic is at all backed up, it is much faster to leave the highway, go through 2 stop lights and the entry-ramp control signal, and re-enter on the other highway and through an overall longer distance....that's right...taking a longer path through effectively 3 stop lights is faster than the direct non-stop route.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 05:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Why should age be a factor? If you're good, you're good.

Talk to Bill Carollo who reffed Big Ten football at 28 and has done two Superbowls along with countless playoff games and is arguably one of the better NFL officials.
Age is only a factor to the people that do the hiring. What someone thinks about an age limit on a web site does not mean anything.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Yea, but see, you know there are no cement barriers at the top of the ramp, no police car taking license numbers. This guy is gonna get to the top of the ramp, metaphorically speaking, and find who knows what? A spike strip, maybe? Or maybe there is no ramp there back onto the freeway at all?
You've just described the basic risks of life...no guarantees. You have to make choices without always knowing how they will come out. If you want the greatest rewards, sometimes you have to take chances.

Along the way, he may find that the interim journey he embarked on turns out to be a pretty good destination after all. He may spin out and crash because he was trying to get a Yugo to be capable to drive on the Autobahn.

Quote:
Furthermore, what people think of you (all those saps sitting on the freeway) doesn't matter, but assignors and partners need to be on track with this guy, and a lot of people are saying this isn't gonna work for him.
Frankly, most of those assignors and most of the partners are not there for this guy's benefit. Most of them will only view him for what he can do for them. For a few, there is loyalty, but for most, loyalty is a forgotten concept. You've gotta do what you feel is right for you and play your cards to your benefit. I'm not talking about backstabbing others to move up or making promises you don't intend to keep. I'm all for treating others ethically and fairly. But at the same time, the contracts are year-to-year. They can chose to not bring you back for any reason at any time. Why should you, as an official count on anything more or feel committed to anything more. If you will either enjoy it or find other benefit in it, go for.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Frankly, most of those assignors and most of the partners are not there for this guy's benefit. Most of them will only view him for what he can do for them. For a few, there is loyalty, but for most, loyalty is a forgotten concept.
my understanding is that for a lot of assignors, loyalty to THEM isn't forgotten! Just the concept of their loyalty to the individual ref.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
my understanding is that for a lot of assignors, loyalty to THEM isn't forgotten! Just the concept of their loyalty to the individual ref.
Therein lies the rub. As long as you are loyal to an assigner, you're likely to reap the benefits from that assigner. Right up to the point where the assigner doesn't want you any more. Or the assigner gets canned. Or somebody better than you comes along. Or, or, or. Then your loyalty is of no benefit.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 07:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I don't think that anyone who is only 26 has any business at the D1 level.
WOW!!! Are you serious? And we know there's a certain age you think folks should have to retire, so what is your acceptable age range?
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 10:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I don't think that anyone who is only 26 has any business at the D1 level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
WOW!!! Are you serious? And we know there's a certain age you think folks should have to retire, so what is your acceptable age range?
Since the other thread got cleaned up, here's where this subject was first broached.

Let's see. A guy at Northern Iowa University starts ref'n college intramurals when he is 18. At 22 he graduates and gets commissioned into the Army while jumping into HS officiating. In between deployments he continues to improve his officiating skills and decides to attend some college camps. At 25 he gets picked up in D2 & D3 conferences. At 26 he's a Captain in the Army with 3 deployments to Southwest Asia and he also gets picked up by a mid-major D1.

But according to Nevada, based strictly by age, this person doesn't have the necessary tools to officiate a D1 basketball game.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 08:08am.