The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Lowballers

I've been asked to officiate some Boys & Girls club hoops. However the pay stinks.

Should I acccept it?

In my real job I hate lowballers because it lowers the market for the rest of us.

I know they dont have money, but is that my fault?

Something I'm pondering.........
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 10:42am
Lighten up, Francis.

I wouldn't worry about the market for the rest of us. It's a reality of life in officiating that many, if not most, non-academic games pay very little. If you want to do the games, do them.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

IMHO, The questions you ought to be asking yourself include:
  • Is it worth it to me personally to work for the money offered
  • Is there a benefit to me personally to work this level of play
  • Will I be working with partners of sufficient skill that I'll enjoy it
  • Does the league back it's officials when they discipline players/coaches
But Scrappy is right. Most rec/club ball doesn't pay a lot.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 11:25am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me
Actually, it is. The Boys and Girls Clubs are non-profit community organizations. If you would have donated to them, they'd have money.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd be hesitant to classify them as "lowballers." To me, that implies they have the means to pay more but choose not to for some reason.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 02:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
BITS - I like your questions and decision making process.

However, when I do my "not so well paying" Youth Rec Ball games in order to help some of the Leagues out, if I used the criteria "Will I be working with partners of sufficient skill that I'll enjoy it" I might work a bunch less games - and the league would lose one of their more experienced refs...... Most of the time I don't know who my partner is until I get there.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I view a situation like this as a way to give back to the community. The kids are important enough to me to allow a couple of hours out of my day to allow them to have a little fun. It's worth it. IMO.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I view a situation like this as a way to give back to the community. The kids are important enough to me to allow a couple of hours out of my day to allow them to have a little fun. It's worth it. IMO.
I like this view. I don't do a lot of youth games, but when I do, I view it as a two-fold benefit:

First and foremost, it's a service. We still get paid, but I actually view that as simply bonus.

Secondly, even in youth leagues with poor play and poor partners, you can still use those games during the "off-season" to work on mechanics. Call a sharp game with sharp mechanics and hustle, even in these games, and it will be enjoyable.

Until the parents start yelling.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Totally agree. After receiving my state license, I looked for court time wherever I could get it. One of the best places was the local Boys and Girls Club, but they couldn't pay me at all...so I volunteered. Been doing Saturdays with them as a volunteer ever since.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lowballing ???

Our local IAABO board covers two of the counties in the State of Connecticut. We service all public high schools, all Catholic High Schools, all prep schools, some middle schools, and some Christian schools in our service area.

Several years ago our local IAABO board serviced a small Christian school (K-12) in my hometown. After a few years this very small school could no longer afford to pay the varsity fees that our local board required. This school stopped using our local board's officials. One of my colleagues, also from my hometown, also on my local board, decided to take on the responsibility of getting officials for this school's home games. Instead of getting $82.00 for a varsity game, our normal local board fee, the school offers $60.00. I do consider this lowballing, but, I still will occasionally work a game at this small school. Why? The level of ball is more in line with junior varsity programs at our other schools, for which a fee of $52.00 is charged. I know the pastor, who also happens to be the coach at this school, and they really can't afford the higher fees. You're always assigned a varsity doubleheader, $120.00 for a few hours work, usually on a weekend morning, or afternoon, when there are few local board games taking place. The school is only a few miles from my home, and since there is no junior varsity program, I don't have to sit and observe a junior varsity game, as required by our local board, I show up work my games, and go home. The games are also fun to work. Good junior varsity level basketball, good coaching, and small, but vocal, and polite, fans. I do not close out my availability to my local board when I accept these games. The official who assigns these games knows that if I get last minute fillin from my local board, that I will be turning back the Christian school assignment, which he allows us to do.

I believe that this is lowballing. This school used our local board in the past, decided to try to get cheaper officials, and they did. I do feel a small amount of guilt when I work these games, and, at least, give a thought to not accepting assignments at this school, but I do. Not only for the reasons stated above, but also because some of our top officials, including members of our executive board of officers, accept these games. Also, there are other Christian schools in our geographic area that have never used our board's officials, and have made there own arrangements with officials who will accept assignments for a cheaper fee.

I also accept assignments for a Catholic middle school league, at a fee lower than our board's normal subvarsity fee, however I do not consider this lowballing because our local board does not assign games to a lower than high school level for Catholic schools.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 29, 2008 at 03:36pm.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me
I've been asked to officiate some Boys & Girls club hoops. However the pay stinks.

Should I acccept it?

In my real job I hate lowballers because it lowers the market for the rest of us.

Something I'm pondering.........
It's a personal decision. I do games for a basketball 'factory'. They are in the business of basketball with a great facility and lots of top AAU games. They pay crap and they know it. If I'm not busy and I feel like working, I'll do them and have no qualms about turning back games if I get a better offer. The 'assignor' who works for the business knows this and I constantly let him know his pay stinks. He's a good guy and has a ton of headaches with refs because of the lousy pay but his hands are tied by the owner.

Summer ball I don't mind since nothing is going on but there is that feeling you're being taken advantage of with their game fees.

A non profit is another story.
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 08:36pm
Official & Member

Quote:
I think this is my favorite post of the week. This is really a big part of why I do it at any level.