Thread: Lowballers
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lowballing ???

Our local IAABO board covers two of the counties in the State of Connecticut. We service all public high schools, all Catholic High Schools, all prep schools, some middle schools, and some Christian schools in our service area.

Several years ago our local IAABO board serviced a small Christian school (K-12) in my hometown. After a few years this very small school could no longer afford to pay the varsity fees that our local board required. This school stopped using our local board's officials. One of my colleagues, also from my hometown, also on my local board, decided to take on the responsibility of getting officials for this school's home games. Instead of getting $82.00 for a varsity game, our normal local board fee, the school offers $60.00. I do consider this lowballing, but, I still will occasionally work a game at this small school. Why? The level of ball is more in line with junior varsity programs at our other schools, for which a fee of $52.00 is charged. I know the pastor, who also happens to be the coach at this school, and they really can't afford the higher fees. You're always assigned a varsity doubleheader, $120.00 for a few hours work, usually on a weekend morning, or afternoon, when there are few local board games taking place. The school is only a few miles from my home, and since there is no junior varsity program, I don't have to sit and observe a junior varsity game, as required by our local board, I show up work my games, and go home. The games are also fun to work. Good junior varsity level basketball, good coaching, and small, but vocal, and polite, fans. I do not close out my availability to my local board when I accept these games. The official who assigns these games knows that if I get last minute fillin from my local board, that I will be turning back the Christian school assignment, which he allows us to do.

I believe that this is lowballing. This school used our local board in the past, decided to try to get cheaper officials, and they did. I do feel a small amount of guilt when I work these games, and, at least, give a thought to not accepting assignments at this school, but I do. Not only for the reasons stated above, but also because some of our top officials, including members of our executive board of officers, accept these games. Also, there are other Christian schools in our geographic area that have never used our board's officials, and have made there own arrangements with officials who will accept assignments for a cheaper fee.

I also accept assignments for a Catholic middle school league, at a fee lower than our board's normal subvarsity fee, however I do not consider this lowballing because our local board does not assign games to a lower than high school level for Catholic schools.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 29, 2008 at 03:36pm.