Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

UTEX

I officiate because...

It is the best seat in the house.

I needed a fitness plan and I am too lazy to do it unless I am paid to get off my fat a$$.

I needed to test my ability "to work under pressure."

I look good in stripes. Foot locker wasn't hiring when I bought my shirts.

I love to "whistle while I work."

OK, so you don't like those "reasons"?

Seriously, I officiate because I enjoy the competitive atmosphere of the gym, the sportsmanship of most players and coaches, the challenge to learn the rules and wisely apply them to "manage a game" as fairly as humanly possible, the physical conditioning it requires to maintain good position on the court, etc...

Oh ya, the few $$$ I earn is nice too.

Give it a try and find out if it is "your call-ing"
Old Tue Mar 05, 2002, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Like everyone else, I do it because I'm addicted. I started for the exercise, and the second income. I never expected to love it as much as I do. It has required more work of more different kinds than anything else I've ever done, but that work has paid off in every area of my life. I'm more self-confident, more organized, more open-minded, and a better parent. It's been the best New Year's resolution I ever made -- and the only one I ever actually fulfilled!
Old Tue Mar 05, 2002, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

utex:

That's great that you have interest. Keep in mind it takes a very special person to officiate. Create a goal, and that goal is what you shall strive for. First thing is first-Are you married? Do you have kids? That has to be your priority! If the wife doesn't mind you being gone many late evenings and does your kid(s) need your attention? Don't miss out on them growing up, as they're only young once. Is your job flexible enough to allow you to take off early? Now, here comes the fun part-How thick is your skin? You'll have good nights and bad nights, but your attitude and facial expression must remain consistent no matter the consequences. If there are problems, you have to take care of business. There is no room for ignorant coaches and abusive fans. You have to learn to handle each accordingly for the benefit of the players, not you, or the coaches/fans. That's why you are officiating, to enhance the educational values for the players. If the coach or fans step out of line, you have to whack him, or even have the fan removed. The kids will learn from it, trust me.

I had to retire, due to the demand at work, but it taught me lots of character and how to handle idiots, professionaly. I still prioritize kids and enjoy teaching younger officials and assisting them achieve their goals.

Good luck!!
Old Tue Mar 05, 2002, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

One Reason I Officiate

One of the key reasons why I officiate is the mental refreshment it gives me from my real job. I sit on my butt all day in front of a PC and a pile of paperwork. But when I get in the car headed for a game at night, the work light goes off and the officiating light comes on. I can have an absolutely rotten day at the office (you know... customers, bosses, etc.), but after running up and down the floor for an hour and a half, those frustrations are ancient history.

I come into the office the next morning mentally ready to go. This is an unexpected benefit from my avocation of basketball officiating, but it's real. Anyone else notice the same thing?
Old Tue Mar 05, 2002, 05:57pm
In Memoriam

Wink me, too.

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
One of the key reasons why I officiate is the mental refreshment it gives me from my real job. I sit on my butt all day in front of a PC and a pile of paperwork. But when I get in the car headed for a game at night, the work light goes off and the officiating light comes on. I can have an absolutely rotten day at the office (you know... customers, bosses, etc.), but after running up and down the floor for an hour and a half, those frustrations are ancient history.

I come into the office the next morning mentally ready to go. This is an unexpected benefit from my avocation of basketball officiating, but it's real. Anyone else notice the same thing?
Yeah, I relieve stress by being on the court and behind the plate.
mick
Old Wed Mar 06, 2002, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: me, too.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

mick [/B]
The dinner plate mick, or the AYCE buffet?

Old Wed Mar 06, 2002, 10:44am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up AYCE? Should I really ask?

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

mick
The dinner plate mick, or the AYCE buffet?

[/B]
bigwhistle,
Oh yeah.
The dinner plate too. If it weren't for late night snacks there are times that I would never get to sleep.
What is the AYCE buffet? (note: I ask this with cautious intrepidation. )
mick
Old Wed Mar 06, 2002, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: AYCE? Should I really ask?

All You Can Eat?
Old Wed Mar 06, 2002, 01:54pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: AYCE? Should I really ask?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
All You Can Eat?

All you can eat Buffet - Thanks, Mark.

Yo, bigwhistle,
Yeah, I'm very happy behind that plate.
mick

Old Wed Mar 06, 2002, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
AYCE = all you can eat

Mark, you act as if you were guessing.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

The Rookie's Take

I first got into it because of the work out that comes with it and the extra cash. Now, I am addicted and am staying with it because I am driven to get to Varsity.

What we do is not an easy job and 99.95% of the people out there dont have the Kahooney's to even try it. Even my wife thinks I need my head examined for actually wanting to be in sitch's where people can...and often do...yell at me. But the rewards are there depending on what your goals are. If its purely money, I'd say deliver Pizza. You can make $15-$20 an hour Friday and Saturday nights. If it's because you love the game and like the rush from successfully doing something few people can....this is your gig.

If it's because you want to meet old guys and hear their war stories....call Jurrassic....he'll tell you about shoe puking and pant staring and you'll leave this board wondering what the heck we are talking about.

Larks - Veteran In Training
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Why I started

Although I have no intention whatsoever of going to law school, I have always been a legalistic person - I read rules, analyze them, and quickly have a pretty good grasp of them, if not partially memorized. I have also always loved technology, gadgets, and gizmos.

One day before a JV/V game at my HS, I showed up early to play in the band (of 3 people). I asked the JV coach (also my history teacher - small school) if he needed any help setting up, and he said to sit at the scorer's table. From that game, I started learning the clock. I got a rule/casebook/mechanics manual from a friend over that summer, and went to work on the rules.

Then I started watching the game and actually understanding it.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up No one else has mentioned this...

Lets face it - it's fun to be in power!

That's not the only reason I referee, nor does it explain how I got involved, but it sure does contribute. It's nice to know that while you are on the court you, along with your partner, have ABSOLUTE power.

Being a good referee is understanding how to use, and not abuse, that power.

Like everyone else here has said, refereeing keeps me fit(ish), gives me some extra money, keeps me in touch with the game and is damn good fun. I'll be honest, the confrontation, the adrenaline when you make a "big" call, the noise of the fans, they are all things that make me keep refereeing. But just as much of a buzz is the look on a 6 or 7 year old kids face when (s)he makes their first basket in a game, or runs the wrong way and scores for the opposition - those moments make refereeing fantastic.

Finally, I'm a much better referee that I ever was a player. I have the possibility to become a pro or Olympic standard referee - something I could never have done as a player. Also it is kind of cool for me to be able to go to pro basketball games and say to my friend "See number 15 for Sydney? I refereed his first ever basketball game". That's cool

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 01:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Wow!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Lets face it - it's fun to be in power!

That's not the only reason I referee, nor does it explain how I got involved, but it sure does contribute. It's nice to know that while you are on the court you, along with your partner, have ABSOLUTE power.

Being a good referee is understanding how to use, and not abuse, that power.

Like everyone else here has said, refereeing keeps me fit(ish), gives me some extra money, keeps me in touch with the game and is damn good fun. I'll be honest, the confrontation, the adrenaline when you make a "big" call, the noise of the fans, they are all things that make me keep refereeing. But just as much of a buzz is the look on a 6 or 7 year old kids face when (s)he makes their first basket in a game, or runs the wrong way and scores for the opposition - those moments make refereeing fantastic.

Finally, I'm a much better referee that I ever was a player. I have the possibility to become a pro or Olympic standard referee - something I could never have done as a player. Also it is kind of cool for me to be able to go to pro basketball games and say to my friend "See number 15 for Sydney? I refereed his first ever basketball game". That's cool
You and I usually do not agree, but I so much agree with everything you said.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

I got into officiating because I love basketball and it keeps me fit, both mentally and physically. As far as handling the coaches and fans, no matter what you call you will have 50% of the people mad at you. So be it, don't take anything personal, and just have fun with it.