View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by utex
Hey guys. I am interested in officiating, and I'm not sure why. Why did you guys choose to become officials? What do you like about your jobs, and how do you handle coaches, players and fans criticism?
Also, I was watching the Texas vs. Iowa St. game last night, and an Iowa St. player was intentionally fouled, but still made the shot. The officials counted the basket and gave him 2 FTs and the ball. It should have been one shot and the ball, correct?
Quite frankly, my wife got me into officiating. I have 2 sons that played soccer/basketball all through middle school and high school. I was one of those parents that "knew all the rules" and, to my embarrasement, was quite vocal about it. My wife did not even want to sit with me and told me to "put up or shut up!" and I did. I officiated soccer for 22 years (HS and D-3) and basketball for the past 7 years (HS). I simply enjoy it. It keeps me in touch with the game I love and the exercise is good (I am 58 years old). My only regret is that I did not start basketball when I started soccer. It never rains in the gym!