The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 06:31am
Huck Finn

I hope Jamie Luckie makes it to the Final Four. IMO, he is one of the best officials in the country. Unfortunately for him he doesn't have any goofy mechanics or habits to get him noticed - he gets up and down the court, in good position and does it all without jumping around like a clown.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 07:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
A total of 10 are chosen.
Three for each of the three games and one alternate for the whole weekend. Each official will only work once.
And the semi-final officials don't get to hang around either. They have to leave after working their games.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I tracked it for the past four years and no official has worked an NCAA tournament game after working an NIT contest.

Plenty of officials have worked the first two rounds of the NCAAs and then switched over to the NIT.

Doesn't mean that this will for sure continue, but that has been the case in the past.
Oh really.

Brian Kersey worked the NIT first round Alabama State - Arizona State game last Tuesday.

He worked both UCLA games this past weekend, his 103rd and 104th games of the season.

102Tue 3/18 Alabama State 53 Arizona State 64 Final NIT First Round Tempe, AZ ALAST PF:18 ASU PF:13
103Thu 3/20 UCLA 70 Mississippi Valley State 29 Final | GameFlo NCAA Round of 64 Anaheim, CA UCLA PF:9 MVSU PF:9
104Sat 3/22 UCLA 51 Texas A&M 49 Final | GameFlo NCAA Round 0f 32 Anaheim, CA UCLA PF: TAM PF:

Guess that blows the hell out of that theory!

Go Hoyas!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 09:12am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
My money's on TheOracal, Old School!!! Not sure on the third.
Whoever the third is, I'll bet they are from or were trained in California?
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 09:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Oh really.

Brian Kersey worked the NIT first round Alabama State - Arizona State game last Tuesday.

He worked both UCLA games this past weekend, his 103rd and 104th games of the season.

102Tue 3/18 Alabama State 53 Arizona State 64 Final NIT First Round Tempe, AZ ALAST PF:18 ASU PF:13
103Thu 3/20 UCLA 70 Mississippi Valley State 29 Final | GameFlo NCAA Round of 64 Anaheim, CA UCLA PF:9 MVSU PF:9
104Sat 3/22 UCLA 51 Texas A&M 49 Final | GameFlo NCAA Round 0f 32 Anaheim, CA UCLA PF: TAM PF:

Guess that blows the hell out of that theory!

Go Hoyas!
To be fair to Nevada that game was played before the NCAA tourney started. I think he is saying that once the NCAA tourney starts no one has worked an NIT game then come back and did a NCAA tourney game.

But I don't want to get in the middle of y'alls fun.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhole21
Who will it be this year in the annual thread?

Eades
Hightower
Higgins
A nice article on Eades......... sorry for the length

Princeton man is one of basketball's best referees

By Dave Morrison
Register-Herald sports editor

Nobody grows up with the goal of becoming a basketball official. Princeton’s Mike Eades was no different.

A former basketball player in high school and college, Eades thought he would be content doing something in the teaching field. His basketball would be limited to rec league games.

Things didn’t quite work out that way.

Eades, 44, is a basketball official in the Atlantic Coast and Southeastern conferences. In other words, the big time of college basketball.

He also does games in the Colonial, Southern, Atlantic 10 and Big Sky conferences.

“Never, at any point, did I think I would be doing this,” Eades said recently. “But you know what? It’s a great situation. I’ve had a lot of lucky breaks and I’ve been fortunate. It just kind of worked out this way.”

Eades played high school basketball at Princeton, and came within an upset loss to Wheeling Park as a junior from winning three straight Class AAA state titles. That was during the Allen Williams/Jimmy Miller era.

After that, he went to Lees-McRae for two years before heading to Division II (at the time) UNC-Greensboro.

The coach left after his first year and Eades returned home, finished school and continued his career in rec leagues. And that was where, as it turned out, a career was born.

------

Like most officials, Eades started out close to home.

“I started off refereeing games at the rec center in Princeton, probably 16 or 17 years ago,” he said. “From there it progressed up to junior varsity and then to high school games.”

Back then, the ACC and the SEC were the furthest thing from Eades’ mind.

“”My first goal, when I started out, was high school games,” he said. “Then my ultimate goal became getting in the West Virginia Conference. Sounds funny now, but the WVC seemed like the top of the officiating world.”

Eades did that.

“I did women’s games the first two years,” he said. “John Holt, the supervisor for officials in the conference, thought I would be better suited for the women’s game. But I really didn’t like that game. Nothing against the women’s game, I just didn’t like the pace. I begged John for a chance to do men’s games.”

Eades got his break when an official headed to Concord for a game was involved in an auto accident.

He had just done a women’s game in Athens, right up the road from his home, when he got the call.

It went well and he stayed, doing WVC, ODAC and even NAIA games at Mountain State in Beckley. Holt also assigns the officials for MSU games.

In fact, Eades, who has done several NCAA Tournament games but just one championship (Division II in 2000), had a chance to do the NAIA national title game in 2003.

MSU spoiled those plans.

He did several games in the tournament and the first game of the Final Four. MSU was playing in the second Final Four contest and Eades, a West Virginian, was obviously not getting that gig.

“They told me if Mountain State lost, I’d be doing the championship game,” Eades said. “If they won, I’d be going home. You know what. I went out and rooted for MSU to win. I wanted to see (coach) Bob (Bolen) and those guys do well.”

Still, it hasn’t stopped Eades, a hard-line referee known for not taking a lot of garbage from players and coaches, from calling it even when he has done Mountain State games.

“He’s one of the best friends I have,” Eades said, “but when I do their games, I call it even. I guess I have teed him up a couple of times. I reffed the only game they lost in 2004 when they won the title. I still tell Bob they wouldn’t have won the title that year if they’d won that game.”

n n n

Eades is quick to dispel several officiating myths.

One, that referees will give make-up calls when they miss a call earlier.

“I’ve never done that, and honestly, I don’t know of any referee who would do that,” Eades said. “That’s not going to happen with me.”

What about officials trying to even up calls? Often, coaches will let an official know when the foul totals are, in their opinion, skewed.

“You start doing things like that, you don’t last long,” Eades said. “You have to make the correct call.”

Officials don’t hear things coming from the stands.

“I hear it all,” Eades said. “Some of it is pretty funny. A lot of it is X-rated. Mostly, if you turn and laugh, they’ll leave you alone after that.”

And just what is it that elicits a technical foul?

“If they are cursing in conversation, that’s one thing,” Eades said. “But if they are cursing at you, that’s a different thing. I’m not afraid to jump in there and tee a coach up. You can’t be passive. You have to make the call.”

Eades said he is fully aware of the score, the players on the court, everything, even late in the game, despite some officials saying they try not to look at things like scores and situations.

“I’ve always been aware of what the score is; I try to be aware of time, score, fouls, timeouts, the possession arrow,” Eades said. “The more court awareness you have, the better off you’ll be.”

Not that every call is perfect, even by Eades, a self-proclaimed perfectionist.

“Usually, you’ll know right away if you miss a call,” Eades said. “If a coach questions me on a call and I missed it, I’ll tell them that. Most of the time, they’re OK. But if you go over there and lie to them, you’re hung.”

Like players, he studies.

A lot.

“I watch a lot of tape,” Eades said. “And when I do it, I look more for mistakes. I want to be the best I can be.”

All signs point to Eades being just that.

He was voted the ACC Commissioner’s Award as 2006 ref of the year, as voted on by his fellow officials.

------

Eades may be best remembered by West Virginia fans in an infamous way. It came on what many fans perceived as a non-call on a late shot attempt by WVU’s Mike Gansey against Texas in the Guardian’s Classic in Kansas City in 2005. Ironically, that was the same site where he nearly got to call the NAIA national title — Municipal Auditorium.

Gansey was taking the ball to the basket as time was running out with the Mountaineers trailing 76-75. As he drove to the basket there was contact.

“I can still see the play in my head,” Eades said. “It’s a tough play when it happens live. But it was my play. I thought at the time it was not a foul. After the game, we got booed pretty good by the fans. One of the (other refs) asked me if I was sure it was a foul. Then, the head official’s phone rang. It was our supervisor. I still remember the head official’s eyes darting all over the place. Finally, he gave us the thumbs-up.”

WVU coach John Beilein never questioned the call.

Gansey was asked after the game about the play and said he wasn’t fouled and the play wouldn’t have mattered had WVU made its free throws down the stretch.

“I thought that showed a lot of class on his part,” Eades said. “Later, we (the officials) were having dinner at a sports place, and Fran Frachilla (a former Big East coach) was talking about the principle of verticality. Gansey had initiated the contact.”

Yet ...

“I still hear about it,” Eades said. “I go out and golf and there are Mountaineer fans at the course. Sure enough, they mention that call. We usually get a good laugh out of it. Hey, I got that one right.”

------

The best compliment that arbiter Eades can give his craft is this: He wouldn’t mind his son Anthony someday donning a striped shirt.

“We watch a lot of tape together and he can usually see a mistake I make before I do,” Eades said. “He’ll say, ‘Dad, you missed that one.’ I’ll say, ‘No way’ and rewind the tape. Sure enough, I missed it.”

Anthony, like his dad, is an aspiring basketball player.

Having a son who is now old enough to play is one of the drawbacks. He is sometimes on the road and away from wife Gina and Anthony for a week.

He is often up at 4:30 a.m., on a flight by 6 a.m. and headed for his next city.

“Here’s the key,” Eades said. “Learn to sleep on planes. And get to your next destination early enough so that you can sleep in the afternoon.”

Often the officials — who are paid before each game — have dinner after their game and get back to their hotel around midnight. Then it’s back at it again the next day.

------

Eades is the only state native who is currently a Division I referee.

“I think there are some younger guys who are good enough to get into the Big East, SEC or ACC,” Eades said. “Why am I the only one? I can’t answer that.”

He has made the most of the opportunity.

Last year, he called NCAA Tournament games in San Jose, Calif.

He also enjoys giving back and helping fellow officials.

He figures he has tutored nearly 100 referees and helped many move up in levels.

He figures to keep going as long as possible.

“As long as I’m healthy, that is,” Eades said.

His goals are obviously different these days.

“I’d like to call a Final Four; that’s every official’s goal,” Eades said. “But even if I don’t, I’ve still had a great time.”
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
To be fair to Nevada that game was played before the NCAA tourney started. I think he is saying that once the NCAA tourney starts no one has worked an NIT game then come back and did a NCAA tourney game.

But I don't want to get in the middle of y'alls fun.

I believe the rule is that an official cannot take an assignment that is less than 3 days before an assignment in the NCAA tourney. So if Hillary was assigned for a regional final game he could technically take an NIT assignment on a Wednesday.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 10:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
I was born in San Diego. Am I eligible?
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 10:23am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
My money's on TheOracal, Old School!!! Not sure on the third.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
lpbreeze

Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected. I looked it up; the rule is that an official may not accept an assignment on the day previous to an NCAA tourney assignment unless it's a Final Four game in which case an official can't take an assignment 5 days or fewer before the National Semifinal game.

Here's a link to the rules:

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/cham...ies_030408.pdf
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 10:34am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I was born in San Diego. Am I eligible?
Well that all depends sir.
Have you officiated a 100 game varsity schedule out there? You definately have potential being born in Cali & all... I don't know if it's being so close to the ocean or the healthy living lifestyles, but when it comes to officiating Californians have "IT". It's true!! SoCal said so
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 10:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Well that all depends sir.
Have you officiated a 100 game varsity schedule out there? You definately have potential being born in Cali & all... I don't know if it's being so close to the ocean or the healthy living lifestyles, but when it comes to officiating Californians have "IT". It's true!! SoCal said so
Well, since we're this far into the interview process, it's probably time for full disclosure.
We moved away to Iowa in 1976. Unlike MTD Sr., I was not reffing at that time. I doubt they let two-year-olds officiate, even in SoCal.
I withdraw my name from consideration.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Eades (assuming we're talking about Mike, not Tom) worked the CBI semifinal Bradley@UVA game last night in Charlottesville.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 12:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE EADES ARTICLE
[I]------

Eades is the only state native who is currently a Division I referee.

“I think there are some younger guys who are good enough to get into the Big East, SEC or ACC,” Eades said. “Why am I the only one? I can’t answer that.”
I thought Ted Valentine was also from West Virginia. I went to Mike Eades' camp a couple years ago and Teddy V. was there and Mike was able to scrouge up a photo of Teddy playing baseball in college at a small West Virginia school.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I thought Ted Valentine was also from West Virginia. I went to Mike Eades' camp a couple years ago and Teddy V. was there and Mike was able to scrouge up a photo of Teddy playing baseball in college at a small West Virginia school.

You got me, I'm not up on every D1 guy and when they are mentioned here, I go to google to match the face to the name.

How was the camp??