The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.92 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 14, 2008, 08:38am
In Memoriam

Here's one for Chuck.....

The BoSox haven't won a game in Cincinnati since 1975.

Why, that's almost Cubby-esque.

Almost.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
The BoSox haven't won a game in Cincinnati since 1975.
That's a little unfair, since the Sox haven't even been to Cincy since that World Series. But it's not true anymore, anyway. Papelbon blew the save, but the Sox won in 10. Youk had a pretty big game back in his hometown.

The Rays are keeping pace pretty well. I honestly can't believe they're still in second, but I think it's great. Their third baseman, Longoria, is pretty remarkable in the field. He hit the Sox pretty well, too, if I remember correctly.

Yankees are 3 games over .500 for the first time all season. They're going to be up there before too long. No matter how much I hope they're gonna stink it up, they always pull it together at some point.

Giants had a straight steal of home on Friday, but lost. Phillies scored 20 in St. Louis on Friday, but the Cards won yesterday.

Totally unrelated, anybody watch Tiger's back nine last night? Absolutely amazing. 5 shots back with 6 to play, and he shoots 1 birdie, 1 bogie, and 2 eagles (including one on 18) to take the lead going into the final round. And his knee is killing him. Unbelievable. I told my daughter about it this morning and she said, "So he's going to wear his red shirt today, right?"
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 06:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
That's a little unfair, since the Sox haven't even been to Cincy since that World Series.

Totally unrelated, anybody watch Tiger's back nine last night?
When did "fair" have anything at all to do with our annual Beisbol Post?

And.....nothing Tiger does amazes me any more.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 07:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
...Unbelievable. I told my daughter about it this morning and she said, "So he's going to wear his red shirt today, right?"
Cute.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2008, 08:55pm
In Memoriam

"Detroit has now won six straight to pull within six games of first-place Chicago.
'People buried us, and they should have," Leyland said. "Now we've got a chance to get them excited again.' " - detnews.com

Re: U.S. Open --> Fun!
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Appears that the daughter is much smarter than the father. Tiger did indeed wear his red shirt, and made a 12' putt to force the 18-hole playoff today.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And.....nothing Tiger does amazes me any more.
How 'bout now? Gonna be fun this afternoon.

Sox finish up strong in Cincy, Beckett looked really good. Yankees lose Wang for at least one start.

Former Sox news: Pedro picks up a win for the Mets. If he's done with the DL for the season, that'll be great news for the Mets. Nomar slated to return from the DL this week, I think, and he's going to play shortstop for the first time in a couple years. Trot Nixon signed with the Mets. And the Rangers recalled Kason Gabbard from AAA. I liked Gabbard, I hope he does well.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Former Sox news: Pedro picks up a win for the Mets. If he's done with the DL for the season, that'll be great news for the Mets. Nomar slated to return from the DL this week, I think, and he's going to play shortstop for the first time in a couple years. Trot Nixon signed with the Mets. And the Rangers recalled Kason Gabbard from AAA. I liked Gabbard, I hope he does well.
You forgot to mention that Ted Williams' head remains in the frozen food aisle of an undisclosed PathMark supermarket.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 03:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Chicago Cubs

Well, the Cubbies were recently in TO where they went 2-1 (L-W-W). I was at the cottage seadooing and on the way home, I saw something that I just had to get a picture of.

First be aware that it was raining at the time...

http://www.szczur.com/cell_phone_pics_001.jpg
http://www.szczur.com/cell_phone_pics_002.jpg
http://www.szczur.com/cell_phone_pics_003.jpg
http://www.szczur.com/cell_phone_pics_005.jpg
http://www.szczur.com/cell_phone_pics_007.jpg
http://www.szczur.com/cell_phone_pics_008.jpg
http://www.szczur.com/cell_phone_pics_014.jpg

Additionally, this guy had a huge Cubs logo on the hood. I couldn't get a picture of that, though.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Well, the Cubbies were recently in TO where they went 2-1 (L-W-W). I was at the cottage seadooing and on the way home, I saw something that I just had to get a picture of.
Given the Cubs' record this year, I'm shocked it wasn't this:

Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Sox bounce back to take the second game from Philly. Papelbon was himself again.

Nobody wants to talk about Willie Randolph getting fired at 3 a.m.?
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 02:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:

OK- it's 3am so I'll comment.......

That was absolutely ridiculous how the Mets handled that. Fly Willy and two coaches out to the coast and then make 'em immediately fly back. Too bad because Willy Randolph always has been a class act. He took the fall for a GM who put together a very flawed, over-rated team imo. It had terrible pitching, both starters and relief.....weak defense....supposed superstars who aren't like Beltran......and key ballplayers like Delgado and Alou who are over the hill.

Prediction....the Yankees will give him some kinda position while he's waiting for another shot somewhere. They take care of their alumni....and Randolph can help any team.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Or even Ted Williams' freeze-dried head??!

btw Hank's already making noises as if Willie will move to the other NYC MLB team soon enough
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 07:10am
In Memoriam

Detroit Tiger Marcus Thames' last eight hits have been home runs.
...And a nice man, too!
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 07:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Or even Ted Williams' freeze-dried head??!
If you insist.....

Maybe the BoxSox are planning their very own Monument Park. And instead of having a bust on a monument, they can mount Teddy Ballgame's actual head. Maybe put it in one of those freezers that you see at the 7-11...the ones holding the cold pop and sixpacks. They could also easily trot ol' Ted out on opening days then. Can't get him to throw out the opening pitch because....well...he ain't got any arms. But that shouldn't stop him from singing the National Anthem though.

Think of the possible new mottoes too....like....."Watch our Red Sox get ahead."

Sound like a plan?