The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43023-warning-its-baaaaaack-off-topic-baseball-thread-08-a.html)

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
So if Monster Cable actually bought the 49'ers you would be fine with Monster Cable Park?

:confused:

Only if Monster Cable is named after Mr. Monster. My point was not that the stadium is named after a company, but that both the stadium and the company were named after an actual person.

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:26pm

Quote:

So if Monster Cable actually bought the 49'ers you would be fine with Monster Cable Park?

Is the owner of the company named Monster? :confused:

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:27pm

Dang it, Chuck - you type too fast.

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:27pm

Quote:

I would.

Maybe politicians could get into the mix as well. Given how quickly some of these parks change names, we may as well.

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Dang it, Chuck - you type too fast.

Well, when I just KNOW that Dan's gonna have to chime in, I stick around to see it. :D

Dan_ref Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias

Only if Monster Cable is named after Mr. Monster. My point was not that the stadium is named after a company, but that both the stadium and the company were named after an actual person.

Welll... Yankee Stadium is named after a company, not an actual person.

And so on.

What if Jimmy Dean Sausages bought the 49'ers? You OK with Jimmy Dean Park?

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:31pm

Quote:

What if it's a company that is no longer owned (or run) by its name sake and they buy a new team and rename the stadium?

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:43pm

Quote:

This is actually a good point and one that I'd thought of, but forgot in my haste to annoy you.

Naming the stadium after the team is fine, of course. Yankee Stadium, Oriole Park and Dodger Stadium are all ok, obviously. Naming after a person or location is ok. I'm sure there are other things that we could include, but the main thing is to EXCLUDE purely corporate names.

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:45pm

Quote:

And so on.

What if Jimmy Dean Sausages bought the 49'ers? You OK with Jimmy Dean Park?

Or, what if some pimp named Chan bought the team in L.A. - he could rename it Chan Ho Park.

<font size=1>(I'm starting to see this veer way off track...)</font size>

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Or, what if some pimp named Chan bought the team in L.A. - he could rename it Chan Ho Park.

<font size=1>(I'm starting to see this veer way off track...)</font size>

Careful, that guy named after the Sports Bureau might get mad at you for going off topic in this off topic thread.

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:48pm

Is DJ actually teaching class or something today? Why hasn't he chimed in on this critical issue?

How about Landes Field?

Bertha Knight Landes, elected mayor of Seattle in 1926, became the first woman to lead a major American city. (http://www.historylink.org/essays/ou...m?file_id=5343) She only served one term, but she's certainly culturally significant in Seattle.

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:52pm

Quote:

Is DJ actually teaching class or something today? Why hasn't he chimed in on this critical issue?

I've noticed he hasn't been very approachable lately.

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:52pm

Quote:

Whaa?? We're not doing a good enough job for him?!?

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I've noticed he hasn't been very approachable lately.

You seem bitter about that. . .

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 04:03pm

Quote:

You seem bitter about that. . .

Sorry, my inner Dan is showing.