The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43023-warning-its-baaaaaack-off-topic-baseball-thread-08-a.html)

JugglingReferee Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
LOL!! :D

Sox snap the 5-game losing streak (and a 7-game losing streak to Toronto) with a 1-0 win in the bottom of the ninth. Lester and HallAday both pitched extremely well. A couple of interesting decisions by Francona in the bottom of the ninth (leaving Crisp in to lead off, not pinch-running for Ortiz), but it all worked out when Vernon Wells bobbled Youkalis' base hit allowing Big Papi to score the winning run without a throw. Whew!

And the Yanks are losing 6-2 at the moment. . .

Chuck,

I don't think that Roy is Dutch or some other ethnicity where they capitalize a letter other than the first letter of the surname. Isn't it "Halladay"? :D :eek:

grunewar Wed Apr 30, 2008 06:49am

....and the Orioles remain atop the American League East for another day.....with a cleanup hitter batting .222 or .247 depending on the order......and the leading hitter on the team is a journeyman, batting a whopping .298. Say it isn't so?

And it won't be for long.....but hey, we can enjoy it early in the yr can't we? ;)

Now, about those Nats.....

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 07:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Chuck,

I don't think that Roy is Dutch or some other ethnicity where they capitalize a letter other than the first letter of the surname. Isn't it "Halladay"? :D :eek:

Yes, it is. But I incorrectly spelled it "Halliday" in a previous post and Nevada noted the mistake. So I just wanted to emphasize the correct spelling for those who are trying to steal my title of Mr. Annoying Spelling Guy. :)

Yanks got close, but still lost 6-4. ARod goes on the DL with a quad injury.

fullor30 Wed Apr 30, 2008 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I thought the A2000 didn't have an autograph. I had a friend whose dad worked for Wilson. He had one of the first ones.

I think your right. A friend of mine had one of the first ones, pro model, they were pretty sweet. His Dad was connected in sports. Wilson is based in Chicago.

Always wanted one. In fact, I'm due for a new glove. Mine was found floating in a creek last summer. it never recovered.

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkPadgett
I had two gloves. One was an Aparicio autographed Wilson and the other was a Don Larson Spaulding

.Hey, I found your glove.........

How hard could it be to find? :confused: Didn't they just leave their gloves out on the field by their positions when Mark played? :D

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 09:05am

Quote:

How hard could it be to find? :confused: Didn't they just leave their gloves out on the field by their positions when Mark played? :D

Yep, but it took an archeologist to find it all these years later. It was left in the field and time buried it.

Dan_ref Wed Apr 30, 2008 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Yep, but it took an archeologist to find it all these years later. It was left in the field and time buried it.

Insert uncalled for comment about JR's sex drive here.

edit... I just realized that this post may be mean spirited. My apologies if I've offended the repulsive old goat.

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:36am

Quote:

True. I used to trip over them all the time. BTW - I remember witnessing a bareknuckle brawl between James Naismith and Abner Doubleday over who could copyright the term "National".

George Halas won. :p

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 02:48pm

Good news, bad news.

The good news is that I'm not the only one who hates the corporate sponsor names for stadiums, and in fact, one such stadium is getting its real name back:

Quote:

Candlestick Park finally got its good name back Friday.

After two much-criticized naming rights agreements with corporate sponsors over the past 12 years, the San Francisco 49ers formally announced their aging stadium will be known as Candlestick Park for the rest of its days.

Shortly after the Bay Area maker of electronic cables bought naming rights in 2004 for an estimated $1.5 million annually, San Francisco voters passed a proposition severely restricting the team's ability to resell the naming rights when the deal with Monster Cable expired.
The bad news is that the people who agree with me are San Francisco voters!! :eek:

But that won't keep me from calling the Hoosier Dome, Jacobs Field and SkyDome by their real names. Next, we have to come up with "real" names for all the new ballparks that were given corporate names from their beginnings.

First up, DJ's Mariners. Got a non-corporate suggestion, DJ?

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 02:52pm

Quote:

First up, DJ's Mariners. Got a non-corporate suggestion, DJ?

How about Dishrag Park? It's always damp...

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:00pm

You gonna rename Wrigley, too?

I laughed when I saw that even Mile High became "INVESCO Field at Mile High."

I don't mind the trend; although it created quite a dilemma for Astros officials when Enron turned itself into the poster child for corporate malfeasance.

M&M Guy Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:02pm

Quote:

I gotta chew on that one a while.

ChuckElias Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:14pm

Quote:

No, Wrigley was named after a person. Obviously, the person's name was also used for the company that he owned, but it seems ok to me since there was a real person named Wrigley. (Like Busch, or Ford.)

Adam Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:21pm

Quote:

No, Wrigley was named after a person. Obviously, the person's name was also used for the company that he owned, but it seems ok to me since there was a real person named Wrigley. (Like Busch, or Ford.)

Or Coors.

Dan_ref Wed Apr 30, 2008 03:23pm

Quote:

So if Monster Cable actually bought the 49'ers you would be fine with Monster Cable Park?