The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

software to record your work

Just came across a software ad in Officials Quarterly that is designed to track your games worked. I checked it out and it doesn't seem that much better than an excel spread sheet that I try and keep current. Are there any other programs out there? Any ideas on maintaining good records for games worked?

The tax write-off thread got me thinking.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

I use Excel -- and have modified the spreadsheet through the years. I have columns for day, date, time, home & visiting team, date assigned, date changed, partner, miles, fee, date paid and "notes."

If a game is canceled, I do not delete, but cross it out.

I just got my last high school game check today. Game was played Feb. 5.

It has all the information I need and takes seconds to keep up to date.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 03:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I record all my information on a piece of parchment with a quill pen. I use an abacus to calculate the totals for my taxes each year, which I send in by pony express. That's as technological as I get.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I record all my information on a piece of parchment with a quill pen. I use an abacus to calculate the totals for my taxes each year, which I send in by pony express. That's as technological as I get.
Here's how Padgett notifies his assigner of a last minute cancellation (note the hand-quilled note of apology attached to the arrow):

Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 08:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Modern Communcication ...

Here's a photo of Padgett's new assigner, his previous assigner died in an odd bow and arrow accident, getting a turnback message from Padgett:

Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 08:44am
Administrator

I use the calendar in Microsoft Outlook as my diary. I can record the who (my partner(s), and teams), when, where, what (odometer readings, game fee, meals,, toll roads, parking, laundry, uniform costs, registration fees, membership dues, etc.). Bonnie Jean, my lovely wife of 25 years, developed an Excel spread sheet based on the IRS's Schedule C; all I have to do is it the add button at the end of the year, and I am ready to fill out my Schedule C.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I use the calendar in Microsoft Outlook as my diary. I can record the who (my partner(s), and teams), when, where, what (odometer readings, game fee, meals,, toll roads, parking, laundry, uniform costs, registration fees, membership dues, etc.). Bonnie Jean, my lovely wife of 25 years, developed an Excel spread sheet based on the IRS's Schedule C; all I have to do is it the add button at the end of the year, and I am ready to fill out my Schedule C.

MTD, Sr.

Sigh...........sounds neat and tidy. Next year I hope to do the same.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Excel

Best thing about excel (if you're a dork) is lookup functions.

I put the mileage from my house to the various locations and have excel look up the distance, and calc the mileage deduction at 50.5 cents.

Also have it look up the pay rate for the game or game combo (HS Fr/JV, HS Fr)

Excel for me.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 12:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I also use Excel to record the information needed and to do all the automatic calculations on mileage, etc. needed for taxes.

I don't bother recording partners, teams, $ paid/game, etc., as I just print that out from Arbiter.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
I also use Excel to record the information needed and to do all the automatic calculations on mileage, etc. needed for taxes.

I don't bother recording partners, teams, $ paid/game, etc., as I just print that out from Arbiter.
Our board now sends schedules in email in an excel format. I use my outlook Calendar as well. We also get a hard copy of the games we did when we get paid. Darn....so much paper!!!!
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar

I do the same. I use Excel to track expenses and mileage. I, then, get everything else off of the Arbiter. Yes, the Arbiter does provide a mileage. However, it is number from zip code to zip code so I measure the actual distance using my vehicle.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 11:41am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Here's a photo of Padgett's new assigner, his previous assigner died in an odd bow and arrow accident, getting a turnback message from Padgett:
Here's my old assigner. The shield was for protection from coaches. The sword was for dealing with unruly coaches.