The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I think this is the latest date I've given my first T of the season. Whacked an assistant coach (freshman girls game). She was whining and whining and whining, and then whining some more. She laughed about the T for the rest of the game, which I didn't quite understand, but hey, I was glad to be so entertaining. Nothing else about the game was even remotely funny.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Freshman assistant??? Must be nice. I don't have an assistant for JV and the only assistant for the Varsity is me. That's ok though I can screw up quite well by myself, I don't need a whole lot of help
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

what was the T for? can you give a T for whining?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by RalphtDog
Yup.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I think this is the latest date I've given my first T of the season. Whacked an assistant coach (freshman girls game). She was whining and whining and whining, and then whining some more. She laughed about the T for the rest of the game, which I didn't quite understand, but hey, I was glad to be so entertaining. Nothing else about the game was even remotely funny.
I imagine it was a nervous laugh as she got embarrassed ?????
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Ya know, it wasn't. For some reason it amused her to think of herself as a "nuisance". That wasn't a word I used, I never spoke to her or the head coach at all. She was still laughing as she left the gym after the game. Joking around about being a "troublemaker" and a "problem coach". I don't get it.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ya know, it wasn't. For some reason it amused her to think of herself as a "nuisance". That wasn't a word I used, I never spoke to her or the head coach at all. She was still laughing as she left the gym after the game. Joking around about being a "troublemaker" and a "problem coach". I don't get it.
She was mocking you. You should have invited her to assume her place of honor in the parking lot.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
She was mocking you. You should have invited her to assume her place of honor in the parking lot.
Maybe. It didn't feel like that to me, and she was very cooperative for the rest of the game, as was the head coach. How I handled it worked, but I might do it differently next time.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe. It didn't feel like that to me, and she was very cooperative for the rest of the game, as was the head coach. How I handled it worked, but I might do it differently next time.
Well, I'm not going to argue about what happened at your game, but what you wrote originally (underlined) doesn't seem consistent with what you're saying now. IMO laughing about a T the entire game, unless you're in on the joke, doesn't quite meet my requirements for very cooperative. IMO you ran into a common variety 9th grade assistant coach who's around kids all day & used to being the figure of authority and she was questioning your ability to take that role from her. In a very passive-aggressive way I might add, but when pushed these people are generally passive-aggressive types.

But I could be wrong.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Was it Chuck that introduced the term ABS (Accumulation of BS) here? The T, it sounds like, wasn't for whining. It was for whining and whining and whining. Then whining some more.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Asst. coaches aren't allowed to whine, complain, yell, or even speak. They're lucky they're allowed to breathe.

Juulie, she was laughing at your pants. You're lucky she didn't puke on your shoes.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You never spoke to her or the head coach after the T, or never the whole game?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Juulie, she was laughing at your pants.
You know, I never thought of that. The zipper on my pants WAS broken, and I had stitched the fly together. Maybe she's a home ec teacher who noticed the very amateur repair job!
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Was it Chuck that introduced the term ABS (Accumulation of BS) here? The T, it sounds like, wasn't for whining. It was for whining and whining and whining. Then whining some more.
That's why I *gasp* like the part of the soccer rules that allow a caution to be issued for "persistent dissent by word or deed."

Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 02:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
That's why I *gasp* like the part of the soccer rules that allow a caution to be issued for "persistent dissent by word or deed."

Not a bad idea on soccer's part. Maybe we can adapt the concept to basketball:
1) First "T"- hold up a yellow card with STFU printed on it- right in front of a coach/players face.
2) Second "T"- hold up a red cad with GTFO printed on it- right in front of the coach/players face.

G = get
O = out

Of course, puking on their shoes is still a mandatory mechanic.