The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

did a youth game last nite player a is driving lane throws up off balance shot air ball momentum carries him toward ball he catches ball is this a travel i saw it as travel
closer ref made no call coach complained explained as he made shot attempt therefore travel was not called was this correct
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dave58
did a youth game last nite player a is driving lane throws up off balance shot air ball momentum carries him toward ball he catches ball is this a travel i saw it as travel
closer ref made no call coach complained explained as he made shot attempt therefore travel was not called was this correct
If you saw it as a shot then it is legal to go after the "rebound" even if it did not draw iron or board.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Cool

if you feel a shot was attempted, then its a no call. a player loses player control as well as team control. once the shot is attempted, he can even catch his own airball. so you got it right. rack on up for experience.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

i did not make call i only wanted to no ruling i did not overrule only thought it was travel but was not close enough to since he did not blow whistle felt he had to have better look then me
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
i did not make call i only wanted to no ruling i did not overrule only thought it was travel but was not close enough to since he did not blow whistle felt he had to have better look then me
Please? Just a little, a very little, punctuation?
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

THANK YOU RAINMAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
For those of us who spend our day reviewing written material, some postings on this forum are extremely difficult to "decipher" and tiring due to a lack of punctuation AND/or "one paragraph" (200 line) postings.

I often skip forward to the follow-up responses who do a fairly good job of isolating the "meat" of the serving.

Sorry, just my pragmatic voice chirping again.

Okay... Rip me "a new one" for my criticism!

Have a great day!
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Shot attempt here = no traveling.

NF 2001 / 2002 Case Book Pg. 33 Traveling or not - 4.43 Sitch B

"A1 Attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is it traveling? Ruling No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team control after the ball was released on a try (see 4-12; 4-40)"

[Edited by Larks on Mar 3rd, 2002 at 08:55 AM]
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: THANK YOU RAINMAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
For those of us who spend our day reviewing written material, some postings on this forum are extremely difficult to "decipher" and tiring due to a lack of punctuation AND/or "one paragraph" (200 line) postings.
In. all. honesty. I. think. you. guys, are? overreacting; What. is: the! big. deal? about. a; comma, or. period! here. or; there, It. really? isn't. that, hard! to; figure: out. what, the. poster: was! trying. to, say?

Chuck
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Question Different situation

Last night in the first half of a 6th grade rec game, a player is streaking down the floor and attempts a jump stop. When he lands, both feet slide about 2-3 inches. The floor was very slick (I almost slipped and fell twice). Coach starts howling and I said "Won't call that on your team either". The way I look at it, if the floor causes a "travel", I've got nothing. Would you have handled it this way (had the floor mopped at half, and the sliding stopped)?
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: Different situation

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Last night in the first half of a 6th grade rec game, a player is streaking down the floor and attempts a jump stop. When he lands, both feet slide about 2-3 inches. The floor was very slick (I almost slipped and fell twice). Coach starts howling and I said "Won't call that on your team either". The way I look at it, if the floor causes a "travel", I've got nothing. Would you have handled it this way (had the floor mopped at half, and the sliding stopped)?
I think you handled it very well. Some of my rec games are in church gyms (tile floors), and they can be very slippery. I know because I slipped on one about 4 years ago and broke my wrist (was transitioning from trail to lead on a steal). Didn't know it was actually broken until I got home and went to emergency room -- thought it was just sprained.