The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Situation-long

I belong to two officiating associations. One does more local ball, the other does high school over four counties. This year the seasons for middle school basketball changed so that the second association took over the middle school contracts. Why isn't important for this post. Basically I've officiated middle school ball for 5 seasons but under two associations.

One of the MS coaches in Millville (names have been changed) has never been polite if he talked to me. Didn't matter if it was during the coaches meeting, questioning a call or passing by me after the game. Why? I don't know and I've never cared. I've treated him as politely as possible over the years. I officiate the game and get out.

Recently I was referee at a game (8th grade boys) between Millville and Harbortown middle schools. My partner was a first year (I'll call him Phil). During the coaches meeting this coach glared down at me and told me his first name during introductions. Whatever. I'm just there to officiate, not win friends.

During the game he argued four calls. One was a block under the basket that he wanted called a charge. "Shouldn't that have been a charge?" No sir, the defender stepped into the path of the ball handler. "If his feet are planted that should be a charge!" I repeated that I saw the defender move into the path of the ball handler and went back to the game.

Second was a backcourt violation. The ball was in their backcourt in their possession. The ball was passed forward and an offensive player in the frontcourt jumped into the air toward the backcourt caught the ball and landed in the backcourt. I whistled the violation. He asked how that could be an over and back when the ball didn't even leave the backcourt? It was the first time I had made that call so I went to my partner to ask what he saw. He said I had nailed the call so I went back to the coach and told him, "Yes it was over and back." Poor wording on my part but I'll do better next time. He just glowered.

Next call I was in lead under their basket when the defender, who was taller, put his hand flat on the ball on a shot attempt. I called jump ball. He was yelling, "That wasn't a foul?" My partner who was closest to him, turned and told him that it was a jump ball. The coach said something but I couldn't hear it and ignored him.

During the second half, I called another foul on one of his players. He said something, I don't remember what but it was said as rudely as his other "questions" were. I decided it was time for a T. He said, "That's right, give me a T." I momentarily considered that if he liked that one so much I could give him another one but wisdom prevailed and I just walked away to my partner and told him he needed to tell him he was to remain seated for the rest of the game.

That was the extent of my interaction with the man for the game. It was a rough game. The players were not unskilled but were fouling a lot. We had maybe 60 fouls for the game. And they weren't tickytack fouls either. The game lasted 1 hour and 45 minutes.

The next day this coach called my partner at work. Apparently he is contractor and had used my partner's business on occasion. He pressured my partner into giving him our assignors email address. He then wrote to our assignor and complained about the two of us but more specifically me. At a game later (that my partner officiated) he told Phil that he had been "chewed on" by our assignor but he had written a "sweeter" letter afterward.

Part of this I knew already from our assignor. I had called him on another matter and he told me of the letter but not of the specific contents. Only that he had received a letter of complaint from the guy and that he had told him that he only gives consideration to letters from the ADs. Then when we talked about the game the assignor and I were to do together next week, I told him we had THAT coach. My assignor got a "bwah hah hah" tone to his voice and said, "Well I wasn't really looking forward to the game till now."

A few days later my assignor called me again. He told me he had received some more "sweet" (I use that term from Phil's conversations with the coach) letters from this coach. He was now concerned about sending me there. He switched me to another game. His concern after getting this guy's letters (all of which have been forwarded to his AD) seemed to be my safety. My assignor's words were, "We need to find out if he coaches seventh grade or not. We need to keep you away from this guy."

My assignor isn't one to back away from whiny coaches. I have no idea what was in these letters. I do not know what this guy's problem with me is. Could be because I'm short. Or my age. Or because I'm a woman "in charge of boys and men".

If it's the last one, he's due for a disappointment.

My assignor replaced me with another woman.

Rita
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 08:44pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

With all the people involved in the sport, there will be the odd combination where people find it difficult to get along: either to one person or both people. That's when you get in, get done, get out. It sounds like you maintained your professionalism and consistency during the game, and took care of business. Sixty fouls is a lot, though.

I would only worry about it if multiple coaches and assignors found your officiating to be suspect. If it's this one clown, it's his loss.

You do deserve to know what the specific issue this person has with you, though. I think your assignor should be telling you, though you may have to ask. (Carefully decide if you really wish to know.)
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 12:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You need to know if you should fear for your safety should you run into him in the grocery store or the gas station.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 09:31am
Lighten up, Francis.

Two things.

As far as the coach goes, forget about it. Just let it go. If you have the impression that the guy might stalk you, then you might simply ask the assignor that when you work with him. "Is this guy going to come after me?" Chances are very low that he would do something like that. So I would personally not even give it another thought. He's a jerk and you don't have to work his games anymore. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
During the game he argued four calls. One was a block under the basket that he wanted called a charge. "Shouldn't that have been a charge?" No sir, the defender stepped into the path of the ball handler. "If his feet are planted that should be a charge!" I repeated that I saw the defender move into the path of the ball handler and went back to the game.
This is a terrible explanation to give for a blocking foul. As you know, time and distance are not factors when guarding the ballhandler. Moving into his path is GOOD defense. All he has to do is get to the spot first without moving forward into the ballhandler.

If you want to explain the blocking foul, it's better to say "He moved into him" or "He was never legal". These are short and informative and actually provide a rule-basis for your call.

If you get a coach who knows what he's talking about and you tell him that the defender moved into the ballhandler's path, he's going to say, "Of COURSE he did!! He's playing defense!" And the coach will be -- dare I say it? -- right.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 10:26am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Two things.

As far as the coach goes, forget about it. Just let it go. If you have the impression that the guy might stalk you, then you might simply ask the assignor that when you work with him. "Is this guy going to come after me?" Chances are very low that he would do something like that. So I would personally not even give it another thought. He's a jerk and you don't have to work his games anymore. End of story.

This is a terrible explanation to give for a blocking foul. As you know, time and distance are not factors when guarding the ballhandler. Moving into his path is GOOD defense. All he has to do is get to the spot first without moving forward into the ballhandler.

If you want to explain the blocking foul, it's better to say "He moved into him" or "He was never legal". These are short and informative and actually provide a rule-basis for your call.

If you get a coach who knows what he's talking about and you tell him that the defender moved into the ballhandler's path, he's going to say, "Of COURSE he did!! He's playing defense!" And the coach will be -- dare I say it? -- right.

Scrapper:

You had the same thoughts I had (meaning you should seek help or start taking some of Padgett's meds, ), but I agree with you 100%. The block/charge call was the one thing that talked to me out of the entire post.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
During the second half, I called another foul on one of his players. He said something, I don't remember what but it was said as rudely as his other "questions" were. I decided it was time for a T. He said, "That's right, give me a T."
Middle school game? Coach been on your azz arguing calls the first half?

He just earned his second one. Should have done it.

Also what you should have done is to call your assignor after the game to tell him what happened, then email him a brief report. He sounds like a good guy and I think it's helpful for him to be prepared in case the call comes. And it did.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Life is too short to work for coaches you don't like. So consider it a positive thing not to have to worry about going back to his school again. And, if you happen to get him on the road..."bwah hah hah"
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 01:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
And I think I'd try not to keep a diary of every single call when there is a sign of disagreement.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Two things.

Good points. Thank you. It was a situation where he did not have legal position before the ball handler arrived. Now I know how to explain it better.

Rita
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
And I think I'd try not to keep a diary of every single call when there is a sign of disagreement.
Huh? This wasn't a "diary". It's just what I remember. It's how few times he and I "conversed".

Being able to remember it in order to tell my story, isn't "keeping a diary".

Rita
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know all the dynamics between you and your assignor(or the coach's letters)...and maybe it's my ego...but, I gotta tell ya...I would have been PI$$ED if my assignor took me off that game.

I want to show that Coach that I can manage a game.
I want to show that Coach that I can call a game.
I want to show that Coach that every game is a new game....no hard feelings...no biais.
I want to show that Coach that his crying to "the man" isn't going to get him anywhere.
I want to show that Coach strength and confidence.

I may have a lot of "wants"...but, I gotta believe my assignor would grant me these wishes.
Richland, WA
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 06:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Scrapper:You had the same thoughts I had (meaning you should seek help or start taking some of Padgett's meds, ), but I agree with you 100%. The block/charge call was the one thing that talked to me out of the entire post.MTD, Sr.
If these posts are actually "talking" to you, you'd better start taking meds or you'll wind up like this guy (he talks to cats on TV and they talk back).

Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
I don't know all the dynamics between you and your assignor(or the coach's letters)...and maybe it's my ego...but, I gotta tell ya...I would have been PI$$ED if my assignor took me off that game.

I want to show that Coach that every game is a new game....no hard feelings...no biais.
I want to show that Coach that his crying to "the man" isn't going to get him anywhere.

I may have a lot of "wants"...but, I gotta believe my assignor would grant me these wishes.
My assignor is the same kind of person. This is why I believe there must be something in those letters.

And I feel the same way anyway.

Rita
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude

I hear everything RookieDude says - BUT, it's not always about what "we" want.

There are times for assignors to show a coach that he can't bully his way out of certain officials. There are also times for assignors to show officials that they have to go back into a place that previously was difficult and handle the situation.

And then there are times when, for the good of everyone, regardless of what's "right," that it's best to diffuse the situation when doing so won't cause harm. That may be what's happening here. While it may sound "ball-less" to some, there are times for an assignor to simply look the other way and put a different official on a game, if for no other reason than the coach may be an idiot but his kids deserve to play and taking an "excuse" out of the mix forces him to either behave or be an idiot again.

Then, if he's an idiot with another official, it becomes a pattern.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A few days later my assignor called me again. He told me he had received some more "sweet" (I use that term from Phil's conversations with the coach) letters from this coach. He was now concerned about sending me there. He switched me to another game. His concern after getting this guy's letters (all of which have been forwarded to his AD) seemed to be my safety. My assignor's words were, "We need to find out if he coaches seventh grade or not. We need to keep you away from this guy."

My assignor isn't one to back away from whiny coaches. I have no idea what was in these letters. I do not know what this guy's problem with me is.
Rita

Seems to me that you have a right to know what's in these letters. If your safety is genuinely at risk, then logic (I'm not a lawyer or a law enforcement official, so I don't know if you have a legal right or not) tells me that you should be able to address this and ensure your safety, not just hope for it. If it were me, I would demand access to those letters and perhaps consult a lawyer based on what this guy said.