The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

It started out great. I dropped by a local school and watched Rainmaker & Mark Padgett work a couple rec league games. Got to meet Mark, harrass Juulie, watch some world class basketball(OK, it was 7th grade boys ratball)and listen to coaches & parents make a$$es out of themselves all at the same time - great fun! (pictures coming soon to a web site near you.....)

It went straight downhill from there.......

One of my clients has a ship coming out of overhaul - supposed to be ready for sea trials next week. Late Friday afternoon I get a panic call from the contractor - during the overhaul they removed one of the main reduction gears for rebuild & now can't get it to realign correctly to the main engine & tail shaft - they want me to bring my lasers down & work my magic, and I agree with contractor on a 1pm Saturday time. I've done this unit before & figure no big deal, right? So I get on board & within minutes it is apparent that there is a major problem. It turns out they had removed the gear mounting blocks while the gear was out to "clean them up a little". Unfortunately nobody marked which block went where, and they are physically identical except for thickness, which can vary as much as 0.625" - that's a lot when our tolerances are +/- 0.010". I casually suggest this possibility & the lead mechanic gets indignant, he was a "sailor" for 20 years, yada yada yada....sounded a lot like some of the coaches I've run into. Remembering the definition of a "sailor" (for those unfamiliar I will post an expurgated version if requested), I smile to myself & say fine, just humor me & let's check it to make sure, OK? So we make some quick measurements & compare with the shipyard "as-builts", and guess what? They get to spend the rest of the weekend removing/replacing the gear & mounting blocks...and I get to go back on Monday.

It's been a long day, so my wife & I decide to head for one of our favorite restaurants on the Willamette South waterfront. So we get seated, work our way through some fresh bread & salads, and are waiting for our meals when I get served my second salad - all over the back of my shirt & jacket - fortunately it's just an old crew shirt & windbreaker, easily washed so it's really no big deal. The poor young waitress brings me a wet towel & looks almost ready to cry, so I give her a big grin and tell her no harm done, that I really appreciate the offer of a second salad, but next time would prefer to eat it rather than wear it - poop happens, it's OK. I get a smile in return, which was the idea..... So another 15 minutes go by & we're still waiting for our dinners...waitress comes by & says she'll go check on it. She returns quickly & tells us there was a problem in the kitchen & that our meals will be right out. True to her word, less than 5 minutes later they show up - delivered personally by no less than the restaurant manager himself. He tells us that somehow the ticket was misplaced, apologizes profusely, and tells us that because of the delay (about 45 min total) dinner was on them tonight - guess it didn't turn out badly after all. So I leave the waitress her regular tip & she catches us on the way out & tries to give it back - says she feels bad about the salad incident. I tell her she worked hard & earned the tip - accidents happen, nobody's bleeding or dead, so let it go, OK? - I already have.

Let's just hope tomorrrow's less eventful!

Rant mode off!

[Edited by TimTaylor on Feb 13th, 2005 at 04:45 AM]
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
It started out great. I dropped by a local school and watched Rainmaker & Mark Padgett work a couple rec league games. Got to meet Mark, harrass Juulie, watch some world class basketball(OK, it was 7th grade boys ratball)and listen to coaches & parents make a$$es out of themselves all at the same time - great fun! (pictures coming soon to a web site near you.....)
The pix will make it worth it!

PS Expurgated definition of "sailor" requested.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 11:11am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
So I leave the waitress her regular tip & she catches us on the way out & tries to give it back - says she feels bad about the salad incident. I tell her she worked hard & earned the tip - accidents happen, nobody's bleeding or dead, so let it go, OK? - I already have.
Tim,

I just want to say that I really respect what you did here. The opportunity existed to hurt this young woman's feelings and you had none of that. If she reflects on the incident, I think she will have matured from it.

It's nice to be nice.

PS: I gotta know... did you have seafood and pasta?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So we get seated, work our way through some fresh bread & salads, and are waiting for our meals when I get served my second salad - all over the back of my shirt & jacket - fortunately it's just an old crew shirt & windbreaker, easily washed so it's really no big deal.
I hope you called an over-the-back foul.

Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 05:16pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
So we get seated, work our way through some fresh bread & salads, and are waiting for our meals when I get served my second salad - all over the back of my shirt & jacket - fortunately it's just an old crew shirt & windbreaker, easily washed so it's really no big deal.

Who's shooting?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

The pix will make it worth it!

PS Expurgated definition of "sailor" requested.
Well, since you asked......

You take one sailor, and one 6 foot long steel bar, 6" in diameter.....put both in a 6'x6'x6' sealed concrete room with 6" thick walls and no doors, windows or other openings....and he will either break it, s###w it, or lose it.....
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Who's shooting?
If Tim is shooting, would he have to change his name to "Ronco"? Because he would be the "salad shooter"...(sorry.)

Good job with the waitress. Maybe your reaction would've been different if her reaction was different, but as it happened you did a good job. If you deal with people on the court like you did off the court, I would be happy to work with you anytime!
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 01:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
[/B]
Good job with the waitress. Maybe your reaction would've been different if her reaction was different, but as it happened you did a good job. If you deal with people on the court like you did off the court, I would be happy to work with you anytime! [/B][/QUOTE]I'd be happy to throw salad on him anytime too.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
because of the delay (about 45 min total) dinner was on them tonight
[Edited by TimTaylor on Feb 13th, 2005 at 04:45 AM]
I'm surprised you didn't say, "But the salad's on me."