The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have had people that said the same thing to me when I was working AAU games or even summer games which do not require a patch.

Peace
I laughed when I heard it....Like a patch is gonna make me call it differently? From a "credibility" standpoint...OK, I can maybe see it...but if you aren't gonna take the time to investigate how long I've been at it, a patch aint gonna make much difference!
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 07:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
You don't where you are, but I'm sure you've read someone say something like, "I think I will get patched next year" or something similar. My comment had to do with the fact that a patch alone, or the process involved with getting one, doesn't make an official a good official. This may be something that is very misunderstood by the fans.
I've worked in more states with patches than not. And when I'd move to another state it would be time for a new wardrobe.

But they give ANYONE a state patch in places where I live. You sends your money, you gets your patches. Worthless.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 08:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Becoming A Patched Man ...

Is getting a patch anything like becoming a "Made Man"?

Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 02:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I do know there are quite a few varsity games worked in Illinois without patches being worn. Some of the officials are from out of state and aren't looking to impress the IHSA since they aren't going to get post-season games anyway. Some work mostly college games.
It is not an issue of impressing anyone, it is a requirement. And when you do not follow requirements, your license might be in jeopardy if it is reported. And I can think of only a handful of times where someone working an IHSA game has not had a patch on. And I have worked in a pretty wide area. And even the “college officials” adhere to the requirement. Maybe I do not always see the need to follow some other things from time to time (like wearing a CCA jacket to a game for example), but the patch is usually a very common thing you see.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 02:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Disagree to some extent. You have to be licensed in Illinois to ref high chool games, to be licensed yearly, you have to pass a test and attend a mandatory rules meeting and additionally attend a clinic I believe every other year. Does this make you a good ref? Of course not, but it does say something about one's training........... they've made the effort.
Attending a meeting and going to a camp every three years does not prove that you are a good official. Many good officials go to several in one year and not just the basic requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I can only go by what I see in the Chicagoland area, and an unpatched official at the middle school level leaves alot to be desired and clearly indicates no effort for self improvement or a willingness to learn. That said, there are plenty of horrible officials that are patched only in an effort to collect a check.
And this proves why having one means little or nothing in the bigger picture. It still takes years for an official to be competent. It still takes extensive training and understanding of the game. It still takes being able to keep up with the players by being in shape. All those things are not things you get by putting a patch on your shirt.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 06:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
It is not an issue of impressing anyone, it is a requirement. And when you do not follow requirements, your license might be in jeopardy if it is reported. And I can think of only a handful of times where someone working an IHSA game has not had a patch on. And I have worked in a pretty wide area. And even the “college officials” adhere to the requirement. Maybe I do not always see the need to follow some other things from time to time (like wearing a CCA jacket to a game for example), but the patch is usually a very common thing you see.

Peace
Wearing a CCA jacket to a high school game will always be interpreted (by me and my usual partners) as trying to "big-time." And it's a big no-no in Wisconsin, as is the side-panel shirt.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Wearing a CCA jacket to a high school game will always be interpreted (by me and my usual partners) as trying to "big-time." And it's a big no-no in Wisconsin, as is the side-panel shirt.
I have seen lower level officials wear a CCA Jacket. And I have seen officials that do not work any college ball wear CCA Jackets. I do not see it quite that way, but that is because these jackets are available to anyone that wants them no matter what you have done.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:15am
We don't rent pigs

When I first got my patch, after calling locally for 15 years or so without one, I pointed it out to a coach. "You know what this means, don't you?" "No, what does it mean?" "It means that anybody can get one of these."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

A "Must Wear" Patch ...

I put on this patch before every game, whether I need it, or not:

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 11:36am.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:54am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac

I don't know. I don't wanna know.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac

This must be how BillyMac "gets up" for the BIG games!
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Pennsylvania requires a keystone-shaped "PIAA Official" patch on the left sleeve. The american flag patch on the right sleeve is optional, but they tell us that everyone on the crew should look alike. Just about everyone wears the flag, but we all bring two shirts ... one with a flag, one without.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Guy
Pennsylvania requires a keystone-shaped "PIAA Official" patch on the left sleeve. The american flag patch on the right sleeve is optional, but they tell us that everyone on the crew should look alike. Just about everyone wears the flag, but we all bring two shirts ... one with a flag, one without.
Does that mean that if you wear the American Flag on your right sleeve, are you wearing the flag that has the cantor (blue field) on the right corner side of the flag?
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

The blue area of the flag is on the left.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 06:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Guy
The blue area of the flag is on the left.
Then Pennsylvania is wearing it incorrectly. The blue should always be toward the front of the uniform when worn on a sleeve.