The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
And the replay would have to have the clock visible somehow - either as an inset or show the entire court with the clock visible...And the replay would have to have sound in order to hear the horn (at least for NFHS)...And the replay would have to be somewhere we could get at it easily - at the table, not up in the stands or anything...And it would have to be the same throughout a state...And - there's just way too many "and"'s to add here. I just don't see it happening for HS games.
I submit only for games at the state level (basically final 4s and championships).

30 extra min pre-game for the refs for training on the system.

2 monitors - 1 for training in the locker room, 1 at the table. Make this part of the TV contract. 2 head sets - 1 for training, 1 at the table.

Only review baskets at the end of quarters and baskets at the end of the 4th or OT that decide the game. 2s vs 3s can be looked at if they fall into this criteria. Thats it.

Money? Are you kidding!!

For state games, At $7 - 10 a head x thousands of fans x games, the money is there. Also, TV affiliate pays each state for the rights to broadcast the games. Money is not the problem and its insulting to suggest that they cant pull this off for one weekend because of money.

This is an easy thing for the TV guys. I used to work in the Reds scoreboard which shared a booth with the Jumbo-tron production. You are talking a couple 15" Monitors, some cable and a headset. You are not talking re-inventing TV production believe me. They already have tape rolling for replay.

From an NFHS perspective, allow states to authorize replay for any games that are broadcast on TV at their discretion.

And please dont go saying this is "just High School". Every High School basketball tournament is worth millions of dollars in economic activity not to mention the bell cow along with football in terms of revenue. Teams play and work for months. Officials work for years, sometimes their whole career to reach this game. You want to look that guy in the eye and say "this is JUST a high school game so feel free to kick the biggest call of your career, no one will care. This is JUST an extension of the class room". Are you kidding. Give that official the tools to do the right thing when the stakes are at their highest. In todays day and age, video of his call will be on you tube before he gets home. No one should have to go through that.

I submit, the states will spend more time and money on their hospitality rooms during the tournament than they will need to spend on replay.

Make it happen

Last edited by Larks; Thu Mar 13, 2008 at 07:32pm.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
Also, TV affiliate pays each state for the rights to broadcast the games.
Aside from all your other points, which I don't believe are nearly as simple as you argue, many states have no television contract for state finals games.

Again, if the NFHS wants to make it optional for state associations to adopt some sort of replay, I've no problem with it. But it's not nearly as easy and clear-cut as you make it out to be.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
While I agree that some video could be allowed, the devil is in the details, as they say. What kind of video equipment is allowed to be used? A camera from the crowd? Or only a courtside monitor from a TV feed?

When can it be used? Last second shot only? Or also to identify a free throw shooter? To identify participants in a fight? To check if the clock started or stopped properly?

They would have to be very specific and very careful about how it's implemented, I think. But like I said, I agree that we should have access to it if it's available.
This can be solved in the fiba way, wich is
the Referee must approve all video equipment wich can be used before the start of the game, if it isn't aproved before the start you're not allowed to use it.
It may only be used to determine if a last second shot (buzzer beater) was released in time, the video shall not be used for any other infraction.

I think this is a good rule, but I also think that one thing should be added, wich is that officials should be able to use video to replay a fight-sequence.
Since it is nearly impossible to remember everything that happens in such a sequence if it's a big one the officials should be allowed to do this, otherwise you may end up with one official trying to break up the fight and the other standing with a notebook writing down nr's (this has happened! During the european championships in sweden a few years ago).
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Every High School basketball tournament is worth millions of dollars in economic activity
I hope your talking about state playoffs because I've been to a few high school tourneys where the economic activity doesn't add up.

That's a lot of popcorn.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:28pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I submit only for games at the state level (basically final 4s and championships).

30 extra min pre-game for the refs for training on the system.

2 monitors - 1 for training in the locker room, 1 at the table. Make this part of the TV contract. 2 head sets - 1 for training, 1 at the table.

Only review baskets at the end of quarters and baskets at the end of the 4th or OT that decide the game. 2s vs 3s can be looked at if they fall into this criteria. Thats it.

Money? Are you kidding!!

For state games, At $7 - 10 a head x thousands of fans x games, the money is there. Also, TV affiliate pays each state for the rights to broadcast the games. Money is not the problem and its insulting to suggest that they cant pull this off for one weekend because of money.

This is an easy thing for the TV guys. I used to work in the Reds scoreboard which shared a booth with the Jumbo-tron production. You are talking a couple 15" Monitors, some cable and a headset. You are not talking re-inventing TV production believe me. They already have tape rolling for replay.

From an NFHS perspective, allow states to authorize replay for any games that are broadcast on TV at their discretion.

And please dont go saying this is "just High School". Every High School basketball tournament is worth millions of dollars in economic activity not to mention the bell cow along with football in terms of revenue. Teams play and work for months. Officials work for years, sometimes their whole career to reach this game. You want to look that guy in the eye and say "this is JUST a high school game so feel free to kick the biggest call of your career, no one will care. This is JUST an extension of the class room". Are you kidding. Give that guy the tools to do the right thing when the stakes are at their highest. In todays day and age, video of his call will be on you tube before he gets home. No one should have to go through that.

I submit, the states will spend more time and money on their hospitality rooms during the tournament than they will need to spend on replay.

Make it happen
So essentially you are saying that we should treat the last three games of the season differently from all the other games during the season, right?? Sooooooooo, maybe we should only use NCAA D-I officials for those last three games, because they will all be familiar with the replay procedures and can handle that high-level of a game better????
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

It's obviously not practical to have replay available for every game, but I do believe it makes sense to have it at the state semifinals and finals. These games could easily be televised. It's only going to be used for last second shots. It is easy enough to do and should be made optional for states that want to adopt it.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Sooooooooo, maybe we should only use NCAA D-I officials for those last three games, because they will all be familiar with the replay procedures and can handle that high-level of a game better????
Where did I come close to implying that?

Yes, the last 3 games x however many divisions your state has x boys and girls....yes, the last 3. Why? Not because they are that much more important...the reason is because in MOST cases, the TV is already there anyway so to do so would not put undue burden on the state from a cost perspective. Obviously not all state tournaments have TV which is why I submit the NFHS should change the language to say any time at the individual state's discretion and that each state shall establish their own guidelines relative to this issue.

Put yourself in the shoes of the those crews in Oklahoma, SC and Ohio....They'd have given their game check back to have had replay as an option to fall back on.

Don't make this out like we are curing cancer. All I am really saying is that if your state can do it, the Fed should not be a barrier.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Larks, I think rocky's point is we shouldn't necessarily limit the replay to only the final three (or however many) games. What about that high-profile regular season game between two rivals that is being televised on local cable? I think setting up the rules similar to the NCAA would work; in other words, have specific rules in place in the event there is replay available. Media games vs. non-media games. I don't think the Fed. has to go as far as the NCAA in items such as the number of TO's for each team, or even as to the total number of items that can be reviewed. But perhaps there should be some guidelines in place, given that technology has evolved to the point where televised high school games are much more commonplace.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS should change the language to say any time at the individual state's discretion and that each state shall establish their own guidelines relative to this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
we shouldn't necessarily limit the replay to only the final three (or however many) games.

Much better point. If TV is there I totally agree. Set some guidelines and turn the states loose.

Last edited by Larks; Thu Mar 13, 2008 at 09:58am.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 07:17pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
If TV is there I totally agree. Set some guidelines and turn the states loose.
Agreed. All the NFHS has to do is allow it. Then different schools / states are going to implement it and we can see if it solves problems or causes additional problems.

EVERY school videotapes there games. So, the additional equipment would be the monitor at the table. However, without clocks on the backboard and/or red or LEDs, the videotape isn't going to help on a last-second shot situation.

Regarding this play -- I agree with Back In The Saddle -- in real time it looked like she didn't get it off -- even from the crappy at-the-other-end-of-the-court camera angle. I really don't think that this call was very tough and I'm not sure how they missed it.

It looks like trail is opposite table here, which makes him lead at the other end... So, possibly the issue of the quick turnover and a transition play caused a problem -- the shot was taken with the new trail likely in the backcourt or just getting across half-court. Thus, the C would have to help out on the last-second shot. If the C got surprised by the shot and the T was too far to judge, that could have been what caused the missed call.

In slo-mo it is not even close. Its plays like this that make instant replay invaluable. If they could have gone to the monitor they WOULD have gotten this one right. Period. And they would have walked away with no controversy, instead of this article and one team being "robbed".

To the poster that said does this call matter more than a missed foul in the first quarter. Yes. Yes, it does. In a hypothetical world it might not, but the reality of our avocation is that calls in the last minute or two of the game are what matter the most. No one is going to remember a crappy travel call or a bad foul call in the first half of the game versus a call in the last seconds of the game which "determines" the winner. That is just the way it is and the sooner we learn to accept that, the better off we will be.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 07:23pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Someone posted another video in another thread of the same play: http://www.middletownjournal.com/sports/mplayer/m/73866

In this one you can see the official making the call -- and , as I suspected, he is trail.

When you see him enter the frame of the video, he is about a foot away from the halfcourt line. Pretty far away to make a good call on this play imo.

But, at least he sold the hell out of it!
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 07:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sell It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
But, at least he sold the hell out of it!
From our former, local, interpreter:

"A good bad call is a strong bad call".
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 08:01pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I feel bad for those girls after seeing some of them cry. Also note how the video was created to clearly show the referee "count" the basket at the end of the game.

My personal opinion of these plays is that this is a great case where the T is too far away and the L is right there.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
My personal opinion of these plays is that this is a great case where the T is too far away and the L is right there.
I know that we don't want to look indecisive and we definitely don't want to stick around to observe handshakes , but would any of you stick around on the court, look to your partners for a second or two, then confirm the call and leave?
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

An Cincinnati sports writer writes Against replay.... I know I am arguing for but I figured this would be interesting for this thread:

Op Ed: "Please, no preps replay"

As the trailing ref on that play, all Jacob had to do was follow MND freshman Kathryn Reynolds as she dribbled the ball halfway down the court, keep one eye on the ball, one eye on the red light above the backboard and one eye on the game clock, have two ears attuned to the sound of a horn while thousands of fans went screaming nuts, then engage his brain to process all that information, before making a call that will stick with those girls and their families as long as they live.

He also quotes Sanzere on why he is for Replay

More:
http://tinyurl.com/395gca