The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 12:31pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsivensports
Not for sure what you mean by "teams" cannot call timeout. What would have been accurate there?
Glad to have you stop by ... Please be sure to come post whenever you have a rule question or anything related to officiating.

Some of us *ahem* get a little too tied up in wording in the rule book... The common terms used by coaches, fans, and commentators aren't always what the rule book says -- i.e. "charges" are actually "player control fouls", "over the backs" are "pushing" fouls, and, I suppose, that teams can't really "call" timeouts...

However, your job is to broadcast to the thousands of fans that understand "charge", "over the back", "call a timeout", etc. -- it's probably not unreasonable to use the terms that everyone is used to and understands .... However, that probably isn't going to stop Mark from being a nit-picker about it!
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'll take any help I can get. I have been in TV for 20 years and my dad was a high school referee in Oklahoma for 30 years, but you can always learn something new. I got home at 11:30 Saturday night and had to have a 30 minute high school sports show ready to air on TV by 8:30 the next morning involving 35 games that I had covered on Thursday, Friday and Saturday so I probably did have a few mistakes.

If you want to see any of the other videos I was mention (state scoring records, shattered backboards, etc), you can see them on my youtube page at www.youtube.com/oksportsexpress
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I guess these two teams didn't make it to the Finals playing Defense. Total choke by the white team but then they pull it off. Playing zone on that last play was risky

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...DEO02/80308016
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 03:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
I have been in TV for 20 years
Did they at least let you out for meals?
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

whistle during shot?

Just wondering... from the video it sounds like the whistle went off while the 3 point attempt was in the air. Editing issue or was there a whistle that stopped the clock? If there was a whistle what was it for and why did the clock stop?

Interesting end to a game.

Thanks.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 07:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo96
Just wondering... from the video it sounds like the whistle went off while the 3 point attempt was in the air. Editing issue or was there a whistle that stopped the clock? If there was a whistle what was it for and why did the clock stop?

Interesting end to a game.

Thanks.
The whistle was for the foul against the shooter. That's why the clock stopped.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

opps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
The whistle was for the foul against the shooter. That's why the clock stopped.

I was watching the action instead of listening, (the foul shot is not in the video)so I missed the foul shot. rewatched and now feel stupid..
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Oklahoma 2A Girls State Championship ...

Click here to watch the video on YouTube

...and they call soccer the beautiful game? I love high school and ncaa basketball for the underdogs and little people who make big plays, thanks for posting the video
Old Wed Mar 12, 2008, 07:16am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I'll take any help I can get. I have been in TV for 20 years and my dad was a high school referee in Oklahoma for 30 years
Just on a personal note, I want to say that I really hope that you'll stick around and read and occasionally post. I think it's very cool to have a media guy among us. It will be interesting to get the impressions from yet another perspective. We have refs and coaches here now, and having a member of the media here could be very enlightening.

I was the alternate official for a televised game once and it was kind of cool to be next to the TV "timeout coordinator" or whatever his actual title was. He was also the guy who told the "truck" when the officials wanted to check a replay. It was kind of interesting.

So anyway, welcome to the forum. I hope you like it and stick around.