The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 1999, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Boys varsity game, late third quarter.
Team A puts up a shot from the right side
A2 and B2 are bodied up on the weak side looking for the rebound. A2 has inside position and B2 puts both hands on him and pushes him under the hoop as the ball bouces off the rim. Tweet!
I report the foul and as I come back to anounce the free throws the kid asks "Since when can't you push in basketball?"

Wow!!
Old Sun Dec 19, 1999, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Coaching has come a long way in the past few years.
I called a "charge" on player A1 last night. Just before B1 attempted the 1 and 1, A1 asked me "Did'nt you call an offensive foul?" I replied "yes..a charge, not a player control foul". His response.."What's the difference?"
This was an 18 year old kid who has already signed with a D1 college!!
Old Sun Dec 19, 1999, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by Mlancaster on 12-19-1999 12:30 AM

I called a "charge" on player A1 last night. Just before B1 attempted the 1 and 1, A1 asked me "Did'nt you call an offensive foul?" I replied "yes..a charge, not a player control foul". His response.."What's the difference?"

This is why I do not call it a charge. I call it a "Foul away from the ball, push on number X, running into a player"
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Chelena on 12-19-1999 04:58 PM

Honestly, before I started officiating, I probably would have said the same thing. Fact is, in my experience a lot of people involved in basketball - coaches, players, TV analysts, fans, etc. - do not know or use most of the correct terminology. They in turn teach young players incorrectly. I guess you can add me to the list of (former) problem children, but I think I was in plenty of company.
Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Last night in a tight Girls Varsity game, Team A is trying to inbound the ball, as the count gets close to 5, She tries to throw the ball off of team B, and have it go out of bounds. Well the ball hits team B, but as it flys out of bounds it hits A in the leg, while still in the air. Of course seeing this I give the ball to team B. Team A's coach stands up, and yells, " She's out of bounds, and is not part of the play, that should still be our ball." I did my best not to laugh, and told her, she is part of the play, and we have B ball out of bounds. Whne will they learn the rules.
Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to John Evans
Here's another one...

Ball OOB for a throw-in, thrower steps to the right then back to the left staying within the area of the designated spot. Coach yells; "That's traveling, he changed pivot feet, he can't do that!!". Well, you know with that thought process, how hard it was to explain to him that by rule, traveling cannot occur during a throw-in. (It's just a throw-in violation)
Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by John Evans on 12-21-1999 03:04 PM Coach yells; "That's travelling, he changed pivot feet, he can't do that!!"

It is unfortunate, as I mentioned in an earlier post somehow related to throw-in violations, that officials are often to blame for this particular misconception of the rule by coaches.

I have seen officials (too many) signal travelling for this violation. (Of course, we all know the proper call is Whistle/STC/Point to Throw-in Spot/Direction.)
Old Tue Dec 21, 1999, 10:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

[quote]Originally posted by John Evans on 12-21-1999 03:04 PM
Coach yells; "That's traveling, he changed pivot feet, he can't do that!!". quote]

I had a partner call a travel when a player was on the floor with the ball and scooted a little. The coach yelled that he never moved his pivot foot. Instead of taking time to hold a rules clinic for yet another empty-headed coach, my partner told him that the player moved his "pivot cheek."

Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Do not use the word charge as it is not in the rulebook. The old term charge refered to what is now a player control foul and if mentioned will cause confusion. Fans, players, and even coaches just do not read the rule book and seldom are in tune to correct terminology.
quote:
Originally posted by Mlancaster on 12-19-1999 12:30 AM
Coaching has come a long way in the past few years.
This was an 18 year old kid who has already signed with a D1 college!!

Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mickey C on 12-23-1999 11:52 PM
Do not use the word charge as it is not in the rulebook. The old term charge refered to what is now a player control foul and if mentioned will cause confusion. Fans, players, and even coaches just do not read the rule book and seldom are in tune to correct terminology.

10-6-1 "A player shall not: hold, push charge, trip; ..."

Old Sat Dec 25, 1999, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Don Shannon
Talking

Jim,

On every IAABO pregame card, the list of topics are the Pass/Crash and Block/Charge Free throw admin, Throw-in, etc.
NF Rule Book page 27 rule 4 section 7 Blocking, Charging Art 1 and 2a,b,c,d

------------------
Don