The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 02:15pm
Esteemed Participant

Unbelievable Coach

Got a call from a buddy last night who will working some first-round games of the NCAA D-III tournament being hosted by a school in our area - for those not familiar, the first few rounds of the D-III National Tournament are hosted at certain schools. There will be four teams at each site and two games Friday and the the winners play on Saturday. That winner will advance to the next round - sites to be determined later...

Anyway, one of the other schools at this site is also from our area and in the same conference as the host school. Visiting team lost to the host school last weekend. Coach of the visiting school somehow got the e-mail addresses of the three officials who will be working his game tonight and sent them all video clips from the game last weekend. The clips showed plays he thought were called wrongly and asked how they would be called Friday night so he could coach his team to be ready for the game.

No one can figure out how he got all three of these official's home e-mail addresses, but all three are pretty upset about it. As is the assignor - who called the Conference Commissioner and informed him. Commish is now pissed at the coach. I guess there was a conference call at 8:00 this morning between assignor, commish, coah and AD...

So...anyone ever hear of anything like this before? Seems like a pretty stupid thing to do, but then this coah ain't exactly the smartest one around...
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 02:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I would have returned an email to the coach stating that calls will be made according to the rules and that, based on my knowledge of how he coaches, I wasn't surprised that he would now have to teach his team something new.

I would then also thank him for sending me his contact info since I now would be entering that into my data bank for MLM.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure about college ball but in IL, all phone #s and emails are published on their website

http://www.ihsa.org/official/listbk.txt
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
hmmm... with online assigning in place most everywhere I know ADs have access to my information... phone, address, email...

So far I've never gotten more than a game date and time confirmation call/email prior to the game.

I imagine if I got an email like your buddy I would forward it to my assignor to handle, like he did.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me
Not sure about college ball but in IL, all phone #s and emails are published on their website

http://www.ihsa.org/official/listbk.txt

Hey!!! SSSHHHH!!!

FYI.....no e-mail addresses posted and you have the option of not listing certain info.

Me? I keep moving from month to month so angry parents can't find me.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:13pm
Official & Member

This thread raises another issue I've wondered about. Do any of you have unlisted phone numbers/addresses with the local phone company? Just finished my seventh year and have never had a problem with harassment, but let's face it...the world isn't getting more civil.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Got a call from a buddy last night who will working some first-round games of the NCAA D-III tournament being hosted by a school in our area - for those not familiar, the first few rounds of the D-III National Tournament are hosted at certain schools. There will be four teams at each site and two games Friday and the the winners play on Saturday. That winner will advance to the next round - sites to be determined later...

Anyway, one of the other schools at this site is also from our area and in the same conference as the host school. Visiting team lost to the host school last weekend. Coach of the visiting school somehow got the e-mail addresses of the three officials who will be working his game tonight and sent them all video clips from the game last weekend. The clips showed plays he thought were called wrongly and asked how they would be called Friday night so he could coach his team to be ready for the game.

No one can figure out how he got all three of these official's home e-mail addresses, but all three are pretty upset about it. As is the assignor - who called the Conference Commissioner and informed him. Commish is now pissed at the coach. I guess there was a conference call at 8:00 this morning between assignor, commish, coah and AD...

So...anyone ever hear of anything like this before? Seems like a pretty stupid thing to do, but then this coah ain't exactly the smartest one around...
Yup; I've heard of this before. There's currently an issue on the table in Ontario where a coach phoned an official at home and was verbally abusive.

The official properly directed the coach to the proper channel and then hung up. There is an open investigation into the matter that may affect service provided for a summer league.

The stupidest thing that a coach can do is something like your coach did above...
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:30pm
Esteemed Participant

It just really makes no sense to me...why risk pissing off someone who is going to be officiating your game that night??? Now I know all three of these officials, and they're not mad. They just think it was another stupid thing from this particular coach...but come on, why even take the risk? I just don't get it.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Me? I keep moving from month to month so angry parents can't find me.
Including your own?
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:12pm
Ch1town

WOW, that's going to be one uncomfortable game for said coach & the officials too, I would imagine... especially if they lose.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 07:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
It would be interesting to find out the result. A suspension of the coach for that game would seem to be appropriate.
Old Sat Mar 08, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I had a coach send me an e-mail this year asking me about OTHER officials!!! Talk about uncomfortable . . . she just wanted to be sure that she was getting "quality" officials for her upcoming game. I immediately called my assignor and let him handle it. NO WAY am I putting myself in that situation. A fewe weeks later when I actually had her for a game, I asked her nicely not to do that again. She apologized and promised it would not. Sometimes I wonder what these coaches are thinking . . . and I used to coach (Varsity Boys and Varsity Girls)!!!
Old Sat Mar 08, 2008, 10:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
It just really makes no sense to me...why risk pissing off someone who is going to be officiating your game that night???
I hope the officials don't get caught up in the emotion and start favoring the other team!