The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 12:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Season ends...

...I see the other thread was closed.

Girls round of 16. The fouls were even in the first half: R-1, U1-1, U2-1. The R was lucky as his was a double whistle and could've gone to the U1.

Three fouls in the first half. My kind of game, even though the score was 11-8 at halftime.

Second half was good, and while low scoring, the game came down to the last possession and a shot came about 0.5 seconds after the horn that would've tied the game. Clearly late, unlike the other thread.

And so, I hang it up for another season. Maybe I'll go to a camp in May, maybe not. First baseball game scheduled in 19 days, will never happen.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Girl's game? How big was the crowd? Did you have to work some boy's games this season to be eligible to work girl's post-season?

(Oops...never mind.)

Rich, it sounds like you might've had a little bit of a frustrating season? Maybe a couple of weeks off isn't a bad idea. For me, I don't work other sports, so I've got that natural break in between the season and camps, then another break before the next season starts. Sometimes it helps to just get away from officiating for a little while, so maybe the snow keeping you off the diamond may not be a bad thing?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 10:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Oh, not really.

I come off as being more annoyed on the Internet than I do in real life.

Besides, I worked a grand total of 29 games. It wasn't the basketball that was stressful this season, it was the during-the-season travel. Looking back, I had 8 full weeks of business travel during the season, and it was the combination of things that made me stressful.

Your advice is sound, though. This season I didn't work my first game until December 11, passing on much of the nonconference stuff to refuel after a pretty much non-stop baseball-football-basketball cycle for a few seasons. I had almost quit basketball, but instead dropped 30 pounds and advanced farther in the playoffs this year than I ever had (I don't think the two were related, but I didn't blow my knee out this season, either).

My next goal is a sectional final game. Beyond that, all I could hope for is a trip to the state tournament, and I would rather focus on more achievable goals rather than dwell on state for my entire career. Lots of good officials never get the nod.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 11:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
... I had almost quit basketball, but instead dropped 30 pounds and advanced farther in the playoffs this year than I ever had (I don't think the two were related, but I didn't blow my knee out this season, either)...
As one who has struggled in this category it is my guess that it played a partial role.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a good way to end your season.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I finished up high school a couple of weeks ago. My high school crew worked on the boy's side this season and had a 4A substate game and a 1A distirct final. I had a week and a half off then I suprisingly was selected to work a JUCO women's playoff game (I've only been in the league 2 seasons). I was a bit rusty the first half and didn't feel I was working the best game ever, not that I missed anything major, I just wasn't my usual self. The second half I slid into my normal mode and felt really good about it. Now it is time to get back in the weight room and get ready for camps. My baseball supposedly starts March 30, but I doubt if we will play. Things still have a ton of snow on them around here.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats!!

The thirty pound shed is very comendable. Your health is the most important thing you have.