The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

For a hook- foul? Displacement

When the offensive player hooks the defensive player. I just said hook and didn't make a signal.

Also on displacement. I can't remember that but I think it is a violation and not a foul? Someone know this. And can displacement only be without the ball otherwise it is a foul?
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

"When the offensive player hooks the defensive player."

Is that a question, statement, what?

Look under Rule 9, Violations and see if you see displacement listed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 08:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not sure I completely understand the question but I will try to answer the best I can.

If you have a player hooking another player, it is a foul. It is not a violation. And it does not matter if they have the ball or they do not have the ball. You cannot hook or hold another player at any time. Displacement is really not the issue, because you can hook/hold someone without any displacement. All you have to do is restrict movement of that player.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry. I meant displacement to be the second question. Separate.
I see the hook once in a while with a post player. but I'm not sure if I should use any type of signal when I call it as a foul
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

If your ball handler is hooking the defender to get around him you have PC....at least that's what I am calling.

If it's two guys without the ball and it's the offensive player....you have team control foul...Punch it, report and give the ball OOB to the other team nearest the spot of the foul. (no FTs on TC fouls)

If it's the defensive player...you have illegal hands or holding...either signal will do when reporting I think.

As for displacement...I think that is a result of an action rather than the action itself.....If a player get's pushed, he probably got displaced, therefore you should probably call a push (unless you deem it incidental)....or if it's the ball handler, PC....

How bout incidental displacment guys!
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 09:12pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
If it's two guys without the ball and it's the offensive player....you have team control foul...Punch it, report and give the ball OOB to the other team nearest the spot of the foul. (no FTs on TC fouls)
It could be a team control foul. Don't want someone getting the impression it's always a team control foul.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
Sorry. I meant displacement to be the second question. Separate.
I see the hook once in a while with a post player. but I'm not sure if I should use any type of signal when I call it as a foul
There is no hook signal, although it evidently is being considered.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 11:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
Also on displacement. I can't remember that but I think it is a violation and not a foul? Someone know this. And can displacement only be without the ball otherwise it is a foul?
What caused the displacement?

Try to find me a single violation that involves contact with an opponent. As BktBallRef notes above, they're all in rule 9.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Just to be absurdly clear...

There is no signal specifically for hooking (though as BBR mentioned, the NFHS is apparently considering one), for hooking we're normally going to use the PC signal if it's the ball-handler that hooks, the team control signal if it's a non-ballhandler offensive player, or a hold signal if it's a defensive player or there is no team control. With the PC or TC signal, some officials will also give an unofficial "hook" signal to communicate the nature of the foul (which is sometimes not obvious). This is against NFHS guidelines and should only be done if it's deemed acceptable in your area.

Displacement is a foul, whether it's on-ball or away from the ball. Now we could get into a good discussion about what is displacement v. incidental contact v. two players, neither of whom has "position", who are jockeying for position. But if the official deems that a player has, in fact, been displaced, it's a foul.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 10:08am.