The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

In the final seconds of overtime Team A scores to go ahead by two, as the basket is made team B calls timeout. The crew determines the clock should have stopped with 2.6 seconds remaining. The head official goes to the table and asks the timer to reset the clock to 2.6. The timer states "I can't. I can only reset to 2 or 3 seconds." They reset to 3 seconds. Was this correct??
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

No. Set it to 3.0, then run it down to 2.6 (a quick, pulse, on-off motion will generally run .1 each time).
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

That doesn't make sence...if the clock has 10th of a second on it, then it should be able to set at what you want. Being that the refs had knowledge that it should be at 2.6 then that's what it has to be set at.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, if clock can show 2.6 seconds, then timer should be able to reset to that time. A.D. needs to find new timer.

------------------
foxyref
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Did the officials account for the 1 second lag time allowed the timer? I believe in high school we can't set the clock for the exact time we saw as we blew the whistle, but have to allow that lag time. So, if we saw 2.6 as we hit the whistle and the clock can't reset to tenths, then just reset to 2 seconds.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming the clock did NOT have tenths of second so tht's why timer said 2 or 3. In the interest of fairness I like Bob's answer best. A second can make the difference between a win or loss, so setting to 2 when there is 2.6 doesnt seem fair to the offensive team. And yet giving them 3 isnt fair to the defensive team. I think this is a judgment call.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Well Todd, I keep finding myself saying you are correct. H.S., by rule has a 1 sec. allowable lag time. If time ran more than one sec.,then at best the clock should say 1.6 sec. I have to say I am confuesed about not being able to reset the tenths.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by KidKJ on 02-07-2000 01:40 PM
In the final seconds of overtime Team A scores to go ahead by two, as the basket is made team B calls timeout. The crew determines the clock should have stopped with 2.6 seconds remaining. The head official goes to the table and asks the timer to reset the clock to 2.6. The timer states "I can't. I can only reset to 2 or 3 seconds." They reset to 3 seconds. Was this correct??
Let me clearify, the clock had tenths of seconds on it, that is how they knew 2.6, however, the clock itself for whatever reason could only be reset to a whole number of 2 or 3.