The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

It threw me off

red and gold are the teams...

red imbounding after made shot... I'm on 3 of the 5 sec count... red #1 runs out of bounds on the baseline. Red num 1 who is inbounding passes the ball to #2 who is out of bounds along the same base line as red #1.

I blew the whistle. Coach explodes.. my partner informs me its a legal play.. I was unsure as I dont remember it ever being in the case book. I havn't had a chance to look it up yet but I thought I'd bring it up to you.

They did this 2 more times in that game. It really messed me up...

by the way.. this is 6th grade boys.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Legal play after a made basket. May make multiple passes to teammates OOB as long as inbounds pass is made before 5 second count completed.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 04:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Read this thread.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
I havn't had a chance to look it up yet but I thought I'd bring it up to you.

NFHS rule 7-5-7 when you look it up.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

red imbounding after made shot... I'm on 3 of the 5 sec count... red #1 runs out of bounds on the baseline. Red num 1 who is inbounding passes the ball to #2 who is out of bounds along the same base line as red #1.

I blew the whistle. Coach explodes.. my partner informs me its a legal play.. I was unsure as I dont remember it ever being in the case book. I havn't had a chance to look it up yet but I thought I'd bring it up to you.

if you were on 3 when they ran the double pass play then you should have esaily had a 5 second count if you had not blown the whistle.

On count 3 when the ball is passed to another player still out of bounds, count 3 to 4 when the ball is in the air, count 4/5 when the ball is caught still out of bounds, count 5 when the ball is being passed to a player in bounds = an almost sure 5 seconds violation

typically the ball is passed to someone else out of bounds, then immediately passed back to the original inbounds passer

watch the end line at all times, that is usually where the violation will occur - that or a 5 second count
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Reff
if you were on 3 when they ran the double pass play then you should have esaily had a 5 second count if you had not blown the whistle.

On count 3 when the ball is passed to another player still out of bounds, count 3 to 4 when the ball is in the air, count 4/5 when the ball is caught still out of bounds, count 5 when the ball is being passed to a player in bounds = an almost sure 5 seconds violation
I don't see this logic.
It takes maybe a quarter of second for the ball to go from one player to another when they are close. And the way you word this, it looks as if you'd call a 5 second violation if the actual throwin pass hasn't touched an inbounds player before you hit 5.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:00pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucblue
Legal play after a made basket. May make multiple passes to teammates OOB as long as inbounds pass is made before 5 second count completed.
Legal play after a made or awarded basket. Just sayin'.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Also - the passes can be bounce passes, as long as they don't touch inbounds. In fact, they can even roll the ball to each other OOB. I suppose they could even bounce it off their heads to each other, as long as they don't punch it (the ball, not their heads - those they can punch).
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:24pm
M.A.S.H.

...and can dribble.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Reff

typically the ball is passed to someone else out of bounds, then immediately passed back to the original inbounds passer
Oh my!

You need to do some reading, podner. See rule 4-42-4. The throw-in count ends when the ball leaves the thrower's hands going in bounds. Your 5-count shoulkd have been terminated at 4.

Don't make it anymore difficult than it is. It's a fairly easy call. Don't even bother about OOB passes or anything like that. Just count to 5 and blow your whistle if the ball hasn't started on the way onto the court.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Also - the passes can be bounce passes, as long as they don't touch inbounds. In fact, they can even roll the ball to each other OOB. I suppose they could even bounce it off their heads to each other, as long as they don't punch it (the ball, not their heads - those they can punch).
The ball can may even touch the wall while it's being rolled or bounced between players.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

With the utmost respect, didn't you ever see this run as a fan/spectator before you started officiating? That said, I can understand it catching you off guard as a new official.

Were you familar with the game before you started?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I don't see this logic.
It takes maybe a quarter of second for the ball to go from one player to another when they are close. And the way you word this, it looks as if you'd call a 5 second violation if the actual throwin pass hasn't touched an inbounds player before you hit 5.
he said he was ON 3 when A1 passed to A2 out of bounds - how close do you think they are? 10 feet? 15 feet? 20 feet? I coached boys varsity for ten years before picking up a whistle and the way we taught this play is this:

Reff hands A1 the ball, A1 immediately sprints to a corner with the ball, A2 steps completely out of bounds in the middle of the court under the basket, A1 throws to A2 and then steps across the end line, A1 then cuts directly in front of A2 in a diagonal line clearing the defender, A2 inbounds to A1. I have seen teams run it where they keep A1 with the ball in the middle and A2 goes out of bounds in the corner, A1 throws it to A2 and the steps in. Under this scenario, when A1 steps in to receive the inbounds from A2 (who is standing OOB in the corner) A1's diagonal cut takes him towards the sideline to catch the inbounds from A2 and that is usually bad when being trapped.

so if the reff was ON 3 when the ball was thrown to A2 (starting the sequence), how do you possibly think that A1 could throw the ball 15-20 feet in the air, A2 could catch it and make a return pass to A1 in LESS than 2 seconds? - remember he said he was ON 3 when A1 made the pass to A2. I don't think it is even remotely possible to execute that play in less than 2 seconds. especially considering the fact that these were mere 6th graders.

Anyway the 5 second count aspect is NOT what confused him, he didnt know the rule about the double pass on a made basket. That being said, if he had known the rule he should have easily had a 5 second violation because in this instance A1 started the double pass play way TOO LATE in the 5 second count. that was the only point I was trying to make here.
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator

Last edited by Cajun Reff; Wed Feb 27, 2008 at 10:46am.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

It is just something you need to learn and be patient with. This rarely happens in games. I saw it twice this season at the varsity level which is twice more than the previous season. It does make you think for a split second even after you've been around for a while.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Bearfanmike20]

I blew the whistle. Coach explodes.. QUOTE]

So what kind of whistle do you use to get a coach to explode? Does it take long to clean the body parts off the floor? I know I have to notify the state if I throw a coach out of a game, does the same happen with causing one to explode?