Thread: It threw me off
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
red and gold are the teams...

red imbounding after made shot... I'm on 3 of the 5 sec count... red #1 runs out of bounds on the baseline. Red num 1 who is inbounding passes the ball to #2 who is out of bounds along the same base line as red #1.

I blew the whistle. Coach explodes.. my partner informs me its a legal play.. I was unsure as I dont remember it ever being in the case book. I havn't had a chance to look it up yet but I thought I'd bring it up to you.

They did this 2 more times in that game. It really messed me up...

by the way.. this is 6th grade boys.
if you were on 3 when they ran the double pass play then you should have esaily had a 5 second count if you had not blown the whistle.

On count 3 when the ball is passed to another player still out of bounds, count 3 to 4 when the ball is in the air, count 4/5 when the ball is caught still out of bounds, count 5 when the ball is being passed to a player in bounds = an almost sure 5 seconds violation

typically the ball is passed to someone else out of bounds, then immediately passed back to the original inbounds passer

watch the end line at all times, that is usually where the violation will occur - that or a 5 second count
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator