The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

free throw shooting sequence

Was at a terrific Big Ten game last night, IU/ Northwestern which came down to the last shot.

Fuzzy on NCAA rules. We have a foul called, one and one, IU to be shooting, then a dead ball tech on IU who shoves NU player. They shot the tech first then the one and one. Correct sequence?
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I believe this is correct as NCAA uses point of interruption after a technical. The point of interruption was the time before the one and one was shot.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2008, 12:25pm
Huck Finn

I didn't see the play, but it sounds like an intentional technical foul which is does not use POI.

Intentional Technical Foul (NCAA Men) - An intentional technical foul involves intentionally contacting and opponent in an excessive non-flagrant manner when the ball is dead.

"For the intentional technical foul, two free throws shall be awarded to any player on the offended team, an the ball shall be awarded to the offended team at the division line on either side of the playing court."

Since I didn't see the play I will ask, did what happen meet the criteria for an intentional technical foul? If so, was it handled correctly?