The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Can anyone tell me if this has happened to them as an official.
I was attending a High School first round playoff game last Wednesday. It is in the 4th quarter with 5 seconds left in the game. The shot clock differential was 4 seconds. Team A is down by 2 points. Player A1 attemps a 3 point shot and misses with the ball grazing the edge of the rim and player A2 rebounds the ball and puts the ball back in the hoop for the score. Problem is after the ball grazed the rim the shot clock went off. Neither official saw the ball graze the rim. The officials had a huddle discussing the play and the basket was not awarded and team A eventually lost.
This did not cause Team A to lose because they were playing and shooting horribly during the game. They should have won the game hands down and this is just how the game ended.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 11:19am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by latterdaysaint
I was attending a High School first round playoff game last Wednesday. It is in the 4th quarter with 5 seconds left in the game. The shot clock differential was 4 seconds. Team A is down by 2 points. Player A1 attemps a 3 point shot and misses with the ball grazing the edge of the rim and player A2 rebounds the ball and puts the ball back in the hoop for the score. Problem is after the ball grazed the rim the shot clock went off. Neither official saw the ball graze the rim. The officials had a huddle discussing the play and the basket was not awarded and team A eventually lost.
This did not cause Team A to lose because they were playing and shooting horribly during the game. They should have won the game hands down and this is just how the game ended.

Without being privy to the conversation between the two officials I can only make an educated guess that the Trail official was 200% certain that the field goal attempt by A1 did not hit the rim and therefore Team A had committed a shot clock violation.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 11:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by latterdaysaint
latterdaysaint,
Yeah, we try to see everything, but we still kick 'em from time to time.
A similar situation can be a three-point try. If we get out of position and are straight-lined on a 3, we shouldn't mark the three. When that happens to me, I usually hope real hard for a miss.
mick