The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 23, 2002, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the deal: Team A fouls Team B. Team B awarded a throw in at the division line. Team B inbounds the ball in the front court, then passes it backcourt. Patrner calls a back court violation. The table advises me that the previous foul put Team B in the bonus. I let both coaches know this was a correctable situation. Put Team B at the line for one and one.Team A coach & fans yelling to put time back on the clock, I say no and we play on from there.

Did I do it correctly? Please advise
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 05:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Gochron
Here's the deal: Team A fouls Team B. Team B awarded a throw in at the division line. Team B inbounds the ball in the front court, then passes it backcourt. Patrner calls a back court violation. The table advises me that the previous foul put Team B in the bonus. I let both coaches know this was a correctable situation. Put Team B at the line for one and one.Team A coach & fans yelling to put time back on the clock, I say no and we play on from there.

Yes,the error is correctible.B shoots the bonus-no time put back on the clock.From there,you say "we play on".I'm not sure what you then actually did.Did you line the teams up for the FT's or did you give A the ball back after the bonus was shot,for the BC violation by B?
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Correctable error. Give B the one and one with the lane cleared and give A throw-in after the result as play was stopped with ball in possesion of A.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 12:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Yes, this is correctable, and you were correct to allow team B to shoot the FTs. Since there is no change in possession, you would continue the game from the results of the FTs, so that BC violation never occured. Do not put time back on the clock.

..Mike
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 12:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Team B inbounds the ball in the front court, then passes it backcourt. Patrner calls a back court violation. [/B]
Yes, this is correctable, and you were correct to allow team B to shoot the FTs. Since there is no change in possession, you would continue the game from the results of the FTs, so that BC violation never occured. Do not put time back on the clock.

..Mike [/B][/QUOTE]No change in possession,Mikey?Do you ignore the BC yiolation?Just wondering!
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 12:52pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Team B inbounds the ball in the front court, then passes it backcourt. Patrner calls a back court violation.

..Mike [/B]
No change in possession,Mikey?Do you ignore the BC yiolation?Just wondering! [/B][/QUOTE]

Good point. Does the change in possession occur as soon as the BC violation was called, or when team A gains possession inbounds after a legal throw-in?

Hmm....
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 01:09pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:

..Mike [/B]

Mike,
Since there was a change in possession on the BC violation and it became A's ball, ...and since the "Points scored, time consumed and additional activity...shall not be nullified" (R2-10-5), we must shoot with lane cleared and return ball to A at POI, like MOFFICIAL said.
(See case 2.10.1)
mick
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 02:23pm

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

..Mike

Mike,
Since there was a change in possession on the BC violation and it became A's ball, ...and since the "Points scored, time consumed and additional activity...shall not be nullified" (R2-10-5), we must shoot with lane cleared and return ball to A at POI, like MOFFICIAL said.
(See case 2.10.1)
mick [/B]
So then A does not need in bounds possession to complete a change of possession. B violating changes possession.

Come game time, I'm not sure if I wuld have got that one right. Maybe it's an off-day today. Luckily, I'm not on the the court today.

..Mike