The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error

Just want to be sure I have this right. In a game played today a player (team A) was fouled and awarded two foul shots. She made the first shot and then the other team (team B) took the ball out of bounds and quickly went down and scored at the other end. Play continued until a different player on the A team was fouled and awarded two foul shots. The play had not stopped until that point. The mistake was realized at that time and nothing was done. The officials said that since play had continued they couldn't correct it. What should have been done in this case?

Thanks.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by frances
Just want to be sure I have this right. In a game played today a player (team A) was fouled and awarded two foul shots. She made the first shot and then the other team (team B) took the ball out of bounds and quickly went down and scored at the other end. Play continued until a different player on the A team was fouled and awarded two foul shots. The play had not stopped until that point. The mistake was realized at that time and nothing was done. The officials said that since play had continued they couldn't correct it. What should have been done in this case?

Thanks.
This was a Correctable Error as defined in Rule 2-10. But once Team B had scored at the other end (which is a dead ball) and Team A had inbounded the ball after that made basket, the window for correcting the error is passed, and the error can no longer be corrected.

If there had been no made baskets and no other stoppages of play, then the second shot could have been awarded with the lane cleared, and then Team A could have taken their second set of shots from that more recent foul. SO the refs got it right that the error couldn't be corrected, I'm not sure from what you said that they did it correctly for the right reasons.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

thank you!!

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

What should have been one? B;ow a whistle..

The referees did not realize this was a two shor foul? It seems to me that someone would have remembered signalling or telling somone it was two....

Correctable error situation yes... Correctable no... Preventable absolutely!
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 09:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Advice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
Correctable error situation yes... Correctable no... Preventable absolutely!
Good advice for rookie officials. It's better to prevent a correctable error than to know how to correct a correctable error, even though you better know how to correct a correctable error if you don't prevent a correctable error, or to never have loved at all. I've got to get away from this computer. It's making me crazy today.