The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Stealing the tip

Boys JV tonight, on the tip the ball is mere inches out of my partners hand when visiting jumper swipes the ball to a team mate almost before homes jumper leaves the floor. In 8 years of reffing I've never called this but did tonight. At half head V coach comes to us on the floor before we go to our locker room to show me I missed that call he even had a rule book with him. Said I have coached for 16 years and I'm not stupid but show me where itr says you cant steal the jump. He points to rule 9 some where and it says nothing. I told him I get the reference before the end of the game. In our locker room we found it in rule 6 3 6/7 and informed him before the start of the half, Man that felt soooooooo Gooooooood!!! I wonder if I'll get an apology? No need I know the rules!!!!!!
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 12:45am
9 times

Cory--don't hold your breath waiting for the acknowledgement.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes
Cory--don't hold your breath waiting for the acknowledgement.
I had a coach bet me his entire salary that he was right about the jumper not being able to grab the tapped ball, even if the ball had touched the floor. I'm still waiting for my check
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 01:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Call ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I had a coach bet me his entire salary that he was right about the jumper not being able to grab the tapped ball, even if the ball had touched the floor.
Good call Back In The Saddle. I'm pretty good with rules, but in the heat of the game, especially in the craziness of a junp ball situation, I'm not sure that I would have caught that one.

Many years ago, when we had several jump balls a game, to start each period, for every held ball, and, if I recall corrrectly, even after a five second closely guarded violation, in three different jump ball circles, I knew the jump ball rules like the back of my hand, before the toss, after the toss, before the tip, after the tip, jumpers, nonjumpers, the whole nine yards. Now that we only toss once a game, at least in Mark Padgett's games, I only look over, and I mean look over, not memorize, the jump ball rules once, at the beginning of each season.

Why can't we flip a coin like they do in other sports, like football, or soccer? At one time I tought we kept doing it as a kind of tradition, because of Dr. Naismith's Original Thirteen Rules Of Basketball. But the jump ball isn't even mentioned in the Doctor's original thirteen rules.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 03:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I had a coach bet me his entire salary that he was right about the jumper not being able to grab the tapped ball, even if the ball had touched the floor. I'm still waiting for my check
Whenever a coach says I am wrong on a rule, I tell him I have a rulebook in my bag and we'll look it up. If he's right, I'll pay him $100 but if I'm right, he has to wash my car.

Haven't had one take me up on it yet.